JKD in UFC?

bambammccoy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
How would Jeet Kune Do based mixed martial artists fair in the UFC?

I would think pretty well seeing as how Sambo and JKD are totally different but both are as close to mma as you can get without being so. And Sambo seems to do pretty well in mma since it seems like not such a big transition.

Is my logic a little off? Thoughts?

Cain has said in the past he studied/uses June Keet Do in fights. I dont know much about the martial art so i cant say if thats true or not.

I would think pretty well seeing as how Sambo and JKD are totally different but both are as close to mma as you can get without being so. And Sambo seems to do pretty well in mma since it seems like not such a big transition.

JKD is over. Danas banned wrestling and invented TVMA.

TVMA is better than MMA/JKD/Sambo and we are going back to the fancy kicks and film gung fu moves, that dont work in real life, and that bruce lee was trying to get away from.

Come at me shills.

Tricky question because JKD isn't really an art. It's a concept. You just mix other arts together to get what combination works best for your body type. It pretty much is mma.

The problem is the tma people who "train JKD" don't train like fighters, wrestlers or bjj guys do. They don't train realistically and with full contact.

JKD is a great system to train in for street defense. You learn the best of several other martial arts, but there is also a heavy emphasis on weapons.
From what I've seen, the Wing Chun roots have become non-existent, and I believe Bruce would have been in favor of the direction JKD moved in.

Apparently the explorer, Ferdinand Magellan, as well as his entire crew, met their demise in an encounter with Filipino natives brandishing sticks. Ferdinand and his boys were wielding solid steel swords, but they all got killed by a bunch of guys dressed in their underwear using sticks! The story is supposedly verified, but I find it hard to believe that bamboo sticks could prove to be deadly in combat against strong White men armed with steel swords.

JKD is only as good as your training partners.

It isn't a style, and if someone tells you it is a style, they have no idea what Bruce was talking about.

Jeet Kune Do isn't a fighting style, but a philosohpy and concept towards fighting.
Taking a direct route to victory without being fancy or dragging fights out.
It's also about intercepting your opponents attack with an attack of your own because offense is the best defense.

MMA has similiarities because it uses what is useful and discards what's unnecessary but it's still a sport.

You can't just say that you're a JKD fighter

"I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that."

"Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back."

-Bruce Lee

Jon Jones used to have Buffer announce him as a Jeet Kune Do fighter. Not anymore though. I bet they threatened him with a lawsuit or something. Or JBJ realized he's better than both Jesus AND Bruce Lee and is diminishing himself by continuing to say he's a JKD fighter.

Boetsch called himself a JKD fighter in his first few UFC fights.

common misconception , JKD and even many forms of TMa are highly useful, just depends on how its being taught/learned

Tricky question because JKD isn't really an art. It's a concept. You just mix other arts together to get what combination works best for your body type. It pretty much is mma.

The problem is the tma people who "train JKD" don't train like fighters, wrestlers or bjj guys do. They don't train realistically and with full contact.

Yep, from what I understand JKD is basically any type of effective cross training.

MMA is basically sport JKD. And I know it is super cliche to speculate how Bruce Lee would have been in the sport, but honestly, he was so ahead of his time philosophically in regards to martial arts, I think he would have fit right in with today's Atomic Weights (He only walked around at 125 lbs), and been competitive if not champ.

MMA is basically sport JKD. And I know it is super cliche to speculate how Bruce Lee would have been in the sport, but honestly, he was so ahead of his time philosophically in regards to martial arts, I think he would have fit right in with today's Atomic Weights (He only walked around at 125 lbs), and been competitive if not champ.

That's pretty speculative. Our current knowledge of what works in a fight is miles beyond what it was in the 1970s (even to Bruce Lee, who made a point to study it). He would have to update his technique quite a bit.

JKD isn't a style, it's a concept or philosophy. It's about embracing what works for you and throwing away that which doesn't. So the JKD mindset is perfect for MMA.

Back