jjmuaythaiguy travels - japan, china, hongkong and maccao

jjmuaythaiguy

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be going to Japan, China, Hong Kong and Maccao for a tour. I have 18 days of travel and want to roll a little bit or at least take or watch a class. I leave Hawaii on September 8 and going to be in Shibuya Japan for 3 days, then fly to China and be doing the tourist thing, (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terracota Warriors) then be in Hong Kong, for a week and then Maccao shortly there after. Anybody got connections or will check with their instructors if I can drop in will be greatly appreciated.

My eurovacation was made whole by rolling and meeting sherdoggers in different places, gi and no gi. So even if I can not take class I would love to watch the class or learn something.

Mahalo and aloha in advance.
jjmtg

Guilin,Guangxi China is a nice place to visit. We don't have an actual BJJ gym, but we roll. Decent Muay Thai and San Da classes too.

For HK:
Hong Kong JJ
Gracie Barra HK
Kowloon BJJ
Kylin BJJ
Grips
and many other gyms that i forgot the names lol(not living in HK right now)

all of them are nice and friendly gym

I take it you will be staying in Shibuya, but will have the opttion of training in other areas of Tokyo. Do you have any schools in mind?

You wouldn't consider Saks gym, Laughter 7?

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far.

Caliber, I'm only in Japan for two days and like 6 hours, I'll be staying at Raddison Hotel Narita from Sept. 9 - 11 then I will be flying to China. Anything close to there?

Everything sent to me will be checked for distance from hotels and times. No I am not adverse to going to any academy regardless of affiliation.

AV, thank you so much for the maccao bjj link that is definetely a possibility.

For those who are new to these boards here is the link to my eurotrip and the thread that occured when I went.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/j...planning-excellent-eurotrip-next-year-296637/

I just got word that Sakuraba will be fighting Jason Miller in DREAM and since I may get to train with Jason Miller for this fight it would actually be great to train with his opponent while on vacation.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/i...ry-long-read-updated-4-22-06-page-4-a-366995/

There was a video of me and Jason training to fight Gamlin,

I don't know if its still in archives since its so old but we just trained together last month, so who knows where he will be prepping for this fight.

Thanks to all the people who responded.

If you're diong forbidden city in China, you'll be in Beijing and I think this place is ok

Beijing Jiu-jitsu Academy | Gracie Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts, Sanshou in Beijing, China

As far as shanghai (if you stop in here) come check out SHANGHAI BJJ

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bruno-moreira-gordo-cabecao-new-blackbelt-shanghai-bjj-1314719/

Hey Fedorzilla,

Thanks for the links, those schools look AWESOME! I will be in Shanghai on September 12 our Hotel is Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel Beijing. its at 18 Jianguomen Ave. Checking right now if its close and doable.

Shanghai? Not so sure but our tour includes the Great Wall, not sure where exactly everything is, China is such a huge country. But will check for the location. Thanks for taking the time.

It sounds like you are going to be in Narita when you get to Japan. That's over an hour (an unpleasent hour) away from Shibuya. Techinically it's not even Tokyo. Are you going to be in downtown Tokyo anyway, or are you gonna be chillin by the hotel? If you are going to be staying in the Narita area you might be able to find a close gym in Chiba which is the city where your hotel is I think. Do you know the name of the train station you will be at?

i will be in china for a month about a month after you're there.... so i will follow this thread with interest, i had already planned on visiting & training with shanghai bjj but not sure where else yet

Shanghai bjj is awesome
friend of my used to train in there

There was a sherdog poster here with that name and I always thought he was in china but last I heard he left but highly recommends it too. If time permits, I'm there because the school itself and the website looks great.

There was a sherdog poster here with that name and I always thought he was in china but last I heard he left but highly recommends it too. If time permits, I'm there because the school itself and the website looks great.

He is still here (on sherdog) and still not in Shanghai. And yes, he highly recommends it!

He is still here (on sherdog) and still not in Shanghai. And yes, he highly recommends it!

Hahahaha, hey Shanghai, I'm definetely going to try and make it. Just got to get the logistics down from my hotel to the gym. The school website is awesome. Nice to see you still around, I'm finally getting there.

Nice place! Like I said, I am definetely trying to stop in at places and watch or take a class. Just getting from the hotel to places is the hard thing. I don't speak the language and traveling by taxi or rail or whatever other means.

english is pretty common in HK, but HKJJ might be a little bit far away from the downtown/central

Nice place! Like I said, I am definetely trying to stop in at places and watch or take a class. Just getting from the hotel to places is the hard thing. I don't speak the language and traveling by taxi or rail or whatever other means.

Anyone under the age of 50 or so in Hong Kong speaks reasonable English (unless you get unlucky and get a mainland Chinese person). Anyone under 30 speaks it more or less fluently, though they are often shy about it. Or you can just stick to asking white people for directions, especially if they are wearing a suit (they probably work in finance and have been there a while).

Grips BJJ (GRIPSBJJ) is where I train in Hong Kong and it's only about a 5-minute walk from Central train station. You can basically ask anyone where Queen's Road Central is in English and they will be able to tell you.

Last edited:
Back