Jiu Jitsu on the Paleo Solution Podcast

Roy Dean

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Paleo diet guru Robb Wolf recently had me on his podcast to chat about jiu jitsu, business, and my new book, Becoming the Black Belt. It was a great conversation and hopefully it will help spread jiu jitsu to a few more health conscious and athletic folks.

Episode 330: Roy Dean - Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts

Last edited:
Listened to it, it was pretty interesting! Good job man! :)

>Paleo Diet

You're a fraud at everything you do if you're teaching that BS

Why? Because you have all the answers on nutrition, energy production, cell biology?

also there is strong evidence found that cavemen thousands of years found a way to make little ovens to bake and cook grains and create a cereal which was a regular part of the diet.

basically debunking the entire paleo theory

also there is strong evidence found that cavemen thousands of years found a way to make little ovens to bake and cook grains and create a cereal which was a regular part of the diet.

basically debunking the entire paleo theory

Yeah.... no.

There's evidence of early grain consumption (because of course there is, the shit never would have gotten domesticated if people weren't already eating it), but i don't recall anything about ovens in that anther evidence. "Hit it with rock" or "soak in some water" is the basic level of technology you need to be able to eat wild grains

There's evidence of early grain consumption (because of course there is, the shit never would have gotten domesticated if people weren't already eating it), but i don't recall anything about ovens in that anther evidence. "Hit it with rock" or "soak in some water" is the basic level of technology you need to be able to eat wild grains

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/09.30/08-oven.html

"New find in Israel shows that cereal production predates agricultural societies by millennia"

23,000 year old oven used to cook bread or similar plus evidence of grain production in the same area.

And as you will no doubt know, "first ever" dates usually get pushed back and back by virtue of the fact that the older things are, the harder to find intact.

Somehow, though I doubt this evidence will put off the paleo dudes.

Yeah.... no.

There are many more articles and reviews on stuff like this, even some of which are not really related to paleo and diet specific topics that when put together with some common sense, you can pretty much spell out a pattern and conclude for yourself that the cavemen likely ate much more starch and carbohydrates than we previously thought and killing the theory of their diet and what we need

Of course, you can go and look for them all yourself and believe whatever you want to

At the end of the day, if you are a fighter/combat athlete who needs to go hard for multiple rounds and durations in training/competition, yea, you're not going anywhere with a strict paleo diet or even a more generous one for that matter

At the end of the day, if you are a fighter/combat athlete who needs to go hard for multiple rounds and durations in training/competition, yea, you're not going anywhere with a strict paleo diet or even a more generous one for that matter

What's stopping you from getting enough carbs from vegetables?

What's stopping you from getting enough carbs from vegetables?

Depends on which of the many versions of the paleo diet you're following and what sports you do, to what level. I suspect you'd struggle to complete the Tour de France eating strict paleo but less sports would be OK.

The main point is: why bother at all. It's broscience BS in the first place.

Maybe some people like the taste of the paleo stuff?
The gourment nutrition cookbook which is sort of paleo inspired contains a lot of tasty and healthy foods.
I wouldn't follow a strict paleo diet as I consider the reasoning behind it pure bullshit.
Also seeing footage of indigenous people wrestle they often seem to be less athletically gifted then modern office dwellers.

Last edited:
Depends on which of the many versions of the paleo diet you're following and what sports you do, to what level. I suspect you'd struggle to complete the Tour de France eating strict paleo but less sports would be OK.

No it's not. The caveman image is mostly for simpletons, but the real idea is to view nutrition using evolutionary biology as a starting point. You can say "you need to be physically active, your DNA expects it" or "people working at night have more metabolic problems because humans evolved to be active mostly during the day" and people agree 100%. But mention using this to try to determine what an optimal diet can be and they lose their shit. Somehow discussions about food hit people right in the feelings and they can't use their brain anymore.

You really think there was any science behind the food pyramid? Or the food groups? Try telling most of lactose intolerant Asia that dairy should be a staple. And the whole "it's all about calories, eat less" concept is retarded in so many ways I'd be here until tomorrow explaining why.

There are many more articles and reviews on stuff like this, even some of which are not really related to paleo and diet specific topics that when put together with some common sense, you can pretty much spell out a pattern and conclude for yourself that the cavemen likely ate much more starch and carbohydrates than we previously thought and killing the theory of their diet and what we need

Of course, you can go and look for them all yourself and believe whatever you want to

Low-carb paleo was the shit in 2006. Anyone worth listening to is pretty much macronutrient agnostic at this point. Strict paleo can be 90% carbs if you feel like it. It's not that hard.

No it's not. The caveman image is mostly for simpletons, but the real idea is to view nutrition using evolutionary biology as a starting point.

It explains why we can't eat leaves and grass but it doesn't imply that a diet like our ancestors used to have is good for winning bjj competitions.

It explains why we can't eat leaves and grass but it doesn't imply that a diet like our ancestors used to have is good for winning bjj competitions.

A basic template of mostly unprocessed fruit, veggies, and meat will get pretty much anyone really far. BJJ is pretty demanding on the glycolytic pathway, so it makes sense to up the carbs a bit. And it makes sense to test your sensitivity to grains, dairy, legumes and a few others if you don't have optimal health. That's pretty much it, the rest is nitpicking.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/09.30/08-oven.html

"New find in Israel shows that cereal production predates agricultural societies by millennia"

23,000 year old oven used to cook bread or similar plus evidence of grain production in the same area.

And as you will no doubt know, "first ever" dates usually get pushed back and back by virtue of the fact that the older things are, the harder to find intact.

Somehow, though I doubt this evidence will put off the paleo dudes.

Fucking cavemen were painting caves while eating Fruity Pebbles and shit.
I mean, we have video fucking proof

Back