Jiu Jitsu has reshaped my perspective

tk99

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Pardon the analogy, but there is a scene in Batman Dark Knight where batman weaves a long steel cord under a truck driven by joker, then wraps the cord around a lightpost, and when the truck continues, it gets pulled off its axis by its own momentum. I said to my friend "THAT's jiu jitsu."

Coming from a muay thai background, striking was always my first thought. Now I see how remarkably efficient submission grappling is. I used to think that the bigger the size discrepancy between my opponent meant the more important to stay off the ground, I actually now think the opposite. So few big dudes know how to grapple. On the ground, they are helpless.

Changed my whole perspective on shit. Got a similar take? Chime in.

it gets pulled off its axis by its own momentum..

I think you mean axle.

Axel_Foley.png

Bruce Wayne uses jiu jitsu to mount Dana Delaney in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Therein lies the true power of jiu jitsu.

Oh, and taking the fight to the bigger guy using jiu jitsu does work, but only if you're significantly better than the bigger guy. Ground skills being equal, the bigger guy will probably crush you. Seems like that should go without saying, but a lot of people still cling to the "mysticism" of TMAs and think that size doesn't matter. It matters. And not just phallically.

I'd say the truck/lamppost thing is more analogous to Judo.

If the lamppost pulled guard on the truck and guillotined it, that's jiu jitsu.

I'd say the truck/lamppost thing is more analogous to Judo.

If the lamppost pulled guard on the truck and guillotined it, that's jiu jitsu.

I would have to agree with you there.

On a side note, I have only seen one real DDT finish in MMA (not counting Yamamoto VS Kerr). An elbow drop KO would be sweet to see. :icon_twis

the bigger guy will probably crush you. Seems like that should go without saying, but a lot of people still cling to the "mysticism" of TMAs and think that size doesn't matter.

Didn't you read what the TS said? The light post single handedly beat the truck. Clearly size doesn't matter at all..

Back