• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jiri's defense, Alex's striking, and coping

Rakic hurt Jiri pretty bad with chipping the legs. I just can't see him beating Poatan if he fights like how he did in the past.

If Jiri doesn’t block punches he’s fucked. I see Alex knocking him out early if he fights like he did against rakic. Jiri can KO him too or catch him in a sub

Ok.. my point was made in the first post. Here it is again

He uses a minimal defense strategy

It didn't work on Alex

Now he is claiming Alex is using magic

What he is not doing is saying he needs to change his risky strategy. After that fight he came out in his next fight and did the same thing. He won that fight, but the strategy is very risky
I don't think I need to elaborate much on why I don't believe magic is a thing. I don't know about you. I don't know if Jiri is actually believing it either. It's an excuse. A weird one. I'm not disagreeing that any sort of excuse is pointless and essentially just a setup for failure.

Regarding the strategy I disagree. Jiri fought like that forever. The track record is proof that it's a more than decent strategy. He got caught by Alex, but it wasn't a one sided beating, was it?
I'm not even saying there's no better way to fight Alex. There probably is, but I wouldn't be confident saying that a different strategy could improve Jiri's chances of winning. Not everything works for everybody. This works for Jiri.

I'm happy to hear what you would consider a superior strategy against Alex, but I haven't heard any ideas yet.

It didn't work on Alex

What he is not doing is saying he needs to change his risky strategy. After that fight he came out in his next fight and did the same thing. He won that fight, but the strategy is very risky
Hes very likely to get chin checked again. He seems to have learned nothing.

I don't think I need to elaborate much on why I don't believe magic is a thing. I don't know about you. I don't know if Jiri is actually believing it either. It's an excuse. A weird one. I'm not disagreeing that any sort of excuse is pointless and essentially just a setup for failure.

Regarding the strategy I disagree. Jiri fought like that forever. The track record is proof that it's a more than decent strategy. He got caught by Alex, but it wasn't a one sided beating, was it?
I'm not even saying there's no better way to fight Alex. There probably is, but I wouldn't be confident saying that a different strategy could improve Jiri's chances of winning. Not everything works for everybody. This works for Jiri.

I'm happy to hear what you would consider a superior strategy against Alex, but I haven't heard any ideas yet.
This is a pretty good strategy

israel-adesanya-alex-pereira.gif

Keep hands up, let Alex miss, find an opening and clock him.

Hes very likely to get chin checked again. He seems to have learned nothing.
100% accurate. Jiri has learned nothing. All this isolation fasting hocus pocus didn't give him the insight he needed to defend himself.

But Dat black magic tho

This is a pretty good strategy

israel-adesanya-alex-pereira.gif

Keep hands up, let Alex miss, find an opening and clock him.
god damn that counter from Izzy is just one of the most beautiful in MMA history. The opening was literally just a split second long. And actually holy shit, I never even saw Izzy's left hook before that right hand until you posted this gif. That left hook stunned Alex and opened him up to the right. It was lightning fast.

I like Jiri, but yeah, its no secret that his defence has always been fucking terrible. He basically gets by on being a big athletic guy who can throw a bunch of weird shit at you, which works well enough against guys who arent particularly good strikers.

I'm disregarding the hocus pocus stuff upfront, but imo especially in MMA context poor defense is a very viable strategy.

In a sense Alex' lack of defense is pretty similar to Jiri's. Alex isn't that great defensively. There's no lateral head movement, virtually no level changes and he's not really great at keeping distance either.
There's a valid reason for the lack of distance keeping of course in that he waits for opponents to close in and then fires his left. Now that makes his approach a lot different to Jiri's of course, but the reason for his success is exactly the same. For both these guys the key to winning is to exchange roughly at the same time as the opponent and land better and harder. One of them moves forward while doing so, the other moves backwards or is stationary.
They both have relied on their chin more than once and are scary powerful.
alex is brilliant defensively. very bad take

I think you see Jiri took the route loads of Sherdoggers were calling for in the buildup and cut back of the aggression even more but we also saw this was clearly a big mistake.

Understandable when you've been KOed not long ago but ultimately a slow tactical fight plays into Alex hands and he still gets the counter openings in the end.

He should have gone the other direction IMHO, gone hyper aggressive, risk of a counter yes but also more chance to potentially get a finish before it lands.

His defense isn’t poor. He uses movement and unpredictability to avoid shots. He is just fighting a guy who can figure him out and time him.

Saying his defense is poor robs Alex of the glory be earned

Jiris style is non-traditional, but it works great in MMA, he has koed alot of people. It leaves him out there though, kill or be killed.
Alex is just to good on the feet. I hope Jiri can take this defeat good, he is mentally strong, he has to accept that Alex has his number standing up. If they ever he fight again, he needs a different approach with takedowns and grappling. Easier said than done, but he has been tko/koed twice by this man, accept it. It is not a striking only match.

His defense isn’t poor. He uses movement and unpredictability to avoid shots. He is just fighting a guy who can figure him out and time him.

Saying his defense is poor robs Alex of the glory be earned
I tend to think as well that fighting a less aggressive game robs Jiri of a lot of that unpredictability, something Alex forced him into doing with the counter in the 1st fight.

Same way for example Machida started throwing offence against Shogun in the 2nd fight he normally wouldnt and got countered.

Last edited:
It’s sad when someone with such incredibly poor defence and fight IQ can become the champ in the premium MMA org. It really goes to show how incredibly poor the LHW division is right now.

Imagine being a grown ass adult and actually spending time posting about black magic and stupid ass shit like that.

He didn't look shook before the fight but it was pretty clear once the fight started that Jiri was out of it mentally. I'd say that was by his own doing with all that nonsensical bullshit he was talking about. Mental game just as important as the fight game.

Jiris style is non-traditional, but it works great in MMA, he has koed alot of people. It leaves him out there though, kill or be killed.
Alex is just to good on the feet. I hope Jiri can take this defeat good, he is mentally strong, he has to accept that Alex has his number standing up. If they ever he fight again, he needs a different approach with takedowns and grappling. Easier said than done, but he has been tko/koed twice by this man, accept it. It is not a striking only match.
Good points, however I have little faith he will learn. See my post from earlier.

It didn't work on Alex

Back