Media Jiri with another page in the book of excuses

I want to hate on Jiri for this excuse but I had staph while watching the fight so my judgement is clouded.

Early stoppage
Ref needs to do better job
Shaman voodoo magic
He was casting a spell on me in my eyes at weighin
Health issues
Staph

damn man kind of disappointed in Jiri. Didn't think he would join the pantheon of excuse makers.

Jiri starting to sound Brazilian…

i find it very very very interesting theres no crazy backlash from the fans........very very interesting...

<{nope}>

I'm not sure where you are getting that info, maybe you are reading another source I couldn't find, but it was actually the opposite. He downplayed it, he only confirmed it when asked and then downplayed it:

"While speaking with UFC Eurasia following his title defense, Islam Makhachev revealed that the speculation was true.

"Yes I had some [problems]," Makhachev admitted. "I had a staph infection. It was bothering me for a week or so when we arrived here in the US."

"It did distract me a little so I didn't train. I had some rest to make sure it wouldn't get worse."
"I saw the doctors. I don't think it really affected me, I just had to take some time off."

When asked whether he had any intentions of rescheduling the fight to heal from the infection, Makhachev simply stated that it was never an option.

"Not at all. After coming such a long way, we didn't even think about pulling out, unless the doctor would [have forced me to].""

Fair. Also, shout out to Rob. Some of the worst pain I've ever felt was tooth related.

The Dagestanis have an inbuilt anti-fanbase in the West for various reasons. Some legitimate reasons I agree with, some not. So, they will typically get negative reactions to things that are routinely done by other fighters, see the Ankalaev thread where he called out Periera.

It is what it is, Sherbro. Thanks for the discussion.
With Islam it's not actually him that uses these things as excuses. It's usually Javier Mendez coming out post fight. Islam is a machine and will fight anyone. His team around him are the ones that won't let him fight short notice or against people coming up.

He did the same with Khabib etc.

He did come out and say the staph for Islam was actually 4 weeks before the fight though and affected nothing. Usually he is the one making excuses for Khabib and Islam if they don't finish the fight without taking a single punch.

In the Volk fight I recall Javier saying Volk was heavier than Islam due to the weird perth Weightcut times in an interview with the same podcast above. He ended up running that back in another interview after being called on it.

I will be honest whilst Khabib was one of my favourite fighters to watch I am critical of his and ultimately Islams career and competition. Islam looks like he may keep fighting his way through the top 5 unlike Khabib, so he definitely has the chance to surpass him career wise. Islam himself is an absolute beast. He isn't scared to fight anyone, but gets managed so he can finish his career undefeated.

Early stoppage
Ref needs to do better job
Shaman voodoo magic
He was casting a spell on me in my eyes at weighin
Health issues
Staph

damn man kind of disappointed in Jiri. Didn't think he would join the pantheon of excuse makers.

Between the black magic and the staph, Jiri didn't have a chance. It wasn't a fair fight. I call do-over.

Reactions: HHJ
If jiri and jamahalal could combine you’d get the saltiest excuse maker ever.

I'm tired of these fighters saying they're fine leading up to everything, but soon as they lose they had 1,000 things wrong.
Yeah, like, I understand if you don't want your opponent targeting your bum knee, but what are you afraid of? Poatan punching you in the staph?

And even if it is a bum knee type thing, you can say, at best, that you chose to compete with it, so losing is your fault, but you only want to reassure people that you're not falling off and will do better in the next fight when you're better

With Islam it's not actually him that uses these things as excuses. It's usually Javier Mendez coming out post fight. Islam is a machine and will fight anyone. His team around him are the ones that won't let him fight short notice or against people coming up.
Yeah, that's what it figured. I didn't see anything from Islam about blaming his performance on Staph. Yet he still got killed by people on here. Not surprising, but still shows the tribalism on Sherdog.
He did the same with Khabib etc.

He did come out and say the staph for Islam was actually 4 weeks before the fight though and affected nothing. Usually he is the one making excuses for Khabib and Islam if they don't finish the fight without taking a single punch.

In the Volk fight I recall Javier saying Volk was heavier than Islam due to the weird perth Weightcut times in an interview with the same podcast above. He ended up running that back in another interview after being called on it.

Yeah, Javier does like to talk a lot lol especially in interviews. He is usually the one that brings up prefight issues.
I will be honest whilst Khabib was one of my favourite fighters to watch I am critical of his and ultimately Islams career and competition. Islam looks like he may keep fighting his way through the top 5 unlike Khabib, so he definitely has the chance to surpass him career wise. Islam himself is an absolute beast. He isn't scared to fight anyone, but gets managed so he can finish his career undefeated.
Well, it's too late for Islam to finish undefeated (I know the Martins loss slipped your mind lol just couldn't pass it up).

I agree that they manage their careers differently than others, they are smart and oftentimes have the resources to sit out when others might not be able to, but Islam and Khabib fought the next guy up, always. To the point that Khabib refused Conor, a money fight at the height of McGregors MMA fame and their rivalry. Any fighter in the history of MMA would have taken Conor over Dustin for a TS except Khabib.

Yeah, that's what it figured. I didn't see anything from Islam about blaming his performance on Staph. Yet he still got killed by people on here. Not surprising, but still shows the tribalism on Sherdog.

Yeah, Javier does like to talk a lot lol especially in interviews. He is usually the one that brings up prefight issues.

Well, it's too late for Islam to finish undefeated (I know the Martins loss slipped your mind lol just couldn't pass it up).

I agree that they manage their careers differently than others, they are smart and oftentimes have the resources to sit out when others might not be able to, but Islam and Khabib fought the next guy up, always. To the point that Khabib refused Conor, a money fight at the height of McGregors MMA fame and their rivalry. Any fighter in the history of MMA would have taken Conor over Dustin for a TS except Khabib.
Nah that's it Islam by himself is a real fighter. He would have fought RDA at WW instead of ducking on short notice his team wouldn't let him.

I remember the Martins loss, that's why I said finish his career undefeated. I more mean that I think he will take a loss as he starts fighting top guys in his current streak.
Of his 2 top 5 fights at LW he had a flawless performance and a hard fought finish.
His two Volk fights are also split like that, but via decision.

Compared to Khabib who was lucky to drop 3 rounds against similar level competition in dominating performances.

I hope we see Islam hang around, so we can see some more awesome LW fights. The division is pretty stalled with the current situation though, but nothing near WW.

That was definitely a bad stoppage the first fight

Jiri went limp from the elbows seconds after getting flash KOd by left hook. It may have not been the best stoppage ever but bad is delusional. He went unconscious twice in the span of 5 seconds including a knockdown.

Fighters have huge egos/self belief making excuses is a way to protect it.

Back