• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Jimmy Crute is going to step away from MMA for some time to think about his future

Should Jimmy Crute continue to fight or retire from MMA?

• Total voters
Hespect. Hope he gets his mind right and finds peace. Also hope he has other financial options.

The line 'i don't even know who I am without all this' really hit me.

{<redford}

as Dana said "its an opportunity"

Fair take. Obsession can lead your mind to unhealthy places. Best for him to find his center and re-align his chi as Mr Cheasle would say

I remember how upset he was when the ref stopped the fight because he couldn't walk anymore after Smith destroyed his leg. It wasn't fake tough boy behavior, he really was in the zone und just wanted to continue.

It makes perfectly sense to me what he wrote. He's living for this shit. Mad hespect

Had high hopes for Jimmy. His IQ lets him down in most of his losses.

I think he's got the right mindframe to move forward and regroup. Hope he comes back better and makes a nice run.

This will be great for him. I hope he comes back.

The question is, will the ufc have him back? I hope so too that as well

I always want him to win as one of his coaches is former K-1 fight Sam Greco.
Yeah his coaching staff is a bunch of badasses and kind of throwback to the last generation of MMA. Totally agree.

I like Crute, he’s still a young guy and some time away won’t hurt. But I think he’s undersized at LHW and I’d like to see him lose some weight in his time off and come back at MW.

He had a lot of people in his ear -- including the fanbase and the promotion -- talking him up to be the Australian blue chip prospect of this generation for the bigger weight classes. I think it was the Smith bout that initially broke his confidence, though. Biggest fight of his career that was going to cement him as a contender against a declining former title challenger... back-and-forth brawl which ended in such an unfortunate way. Then to have him get the lights shut off by a surging Hill immediately thereafter when he tried to rebuild and make another run? That was the final straw. I don't think he was really the same afterward.

Some time off to reassess wouldn't hurt him at his age, even if he does end up coming back. He can get mentally right, physically recuperate, and also develop his skill set.

Last edited:
Crute was always a great watch, and always gracious in victory and defeat. I didn't get many glimpses "into" him, but this post speak volumes to his character (and his will/ability to address this issue publicly and with humility). WAR CRUTE and I hope things work out for him whichever way that happens to be.

The harsh reality is not all the fighters in MMA will ever make it to be a champion or just are not very good at fighting. I think Crute is realizing he might not have it. It's better for him, he might put his time and energy into something worthwhile career without the brain damage.

I was high on him early.But he's got awful striking defense and he hasn't improved it a slight bit.He'll never be in the upper rankings too many flaws.That being said,the UFC didn't do him a favor in his last few,giving him power strikers that are not easy to hold down,his worst matchups.

He had a lot of people in his ear -- including the fanbase and the promotion -- talking him up to be the Australian blue chip prospect of this generation for the bigger weight classes. I think it was the Smith bout that initially broke his confidence, though. Biggest fight of his career that was going to cement him as a contender against a declining former title challenger... back-and-forth brawl which ended in such an unfortunate way. Then to have him get the lights shut off by a surging Hill immediately thereafter when he tried to rebuild and make another run... that was the final straw. I don't think he was really the same afterward.

Some time off to reassess wouldn't hurt him at his age, even if he does end up coming back. He can get mentally right, physically recuperate, and also develop his skill set.

the fight he won against Menifield was also one of those wars where you wouldn't be surprised if the guy never comes back the same afterwards or at the very least shaved a few years off his career

the fight he won against Menifield was also one of those wars where you wouldn't be surprised if the guy never comes back the same afterwards or at the very least shaved a few years off his career

He didn't win against Menifield, though?

That said, I agree. He took a not-insignificant amount of damage in both fights.

I'm a Crute fan. And I hope he comes back stronger than ever if he decides too. Have to take care of your mind, not just your body.

Went from a slight betting favorite against Smith and a herald of a new generation at LHW to three straight losses and a gift draw. That is a hard fall indeed.

I voted continue fighting.

He’s 0-3-1 in his last 4, but that includes a loss to Anthony Smith due to foot drop, and a loss to the current LHW Champion.

He’s only 27, setbacks happen. He’s still made a bit of a name for himself, and can be in title contention with a 3-4 good wins.

With that said, if he’s not mentally in it anymore, he should retire. Can’t half ass it in MMA.

Maybe if “making it to the UFC” meant “Ok honey we can buy that house and raise some kids and get them a decent education”, stories like this wouldn’t be as common.

Back