Jerin Valel needs to get fired

FinBJJ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This guy is an absolute clown, he's as bad as the likes of Mazz and Peoples, just less experience. Winslow is the only one I can think of that's even worse.
He let Munoz get choked way after he was out and tonight he let Cirkunov smash Jolly's skull before stepping in. Many feel the Burkham stoppage was late too.

These are only the cases I remember, I know he's fucked up even more, but can't remember the specific fights. He will get someone killed or severely injured if he's allowed to continue his streak of incompetence.

Until mazzagatti and peoples are fired and banned, I'll leave Valel alone. He has a lot of catching up to do to compete with those guys track records.

Until mazzagatti and peoples are fired and banned, I'll leave Valel alone. He has a lot of catching up to do to compete with those guys track records.

Fair enough, but I think Valel will have quite the portfolio after a few years.

Roan%2BCarneiro%2BChokes%2BOut%2BMark%2BMunoz%2BUFC%2B184.gif

Jake%2BEllenberger%2BNorth-South%2BChokes%2BJosh%2BKoscheck%2BUFC%2B184.gif

Jerin Valel's work at UFC 184.

First one speaks for itself.

Second one isn't as bad but as a ref when you see a fighter turning purple and frothing at the mouth maybe you should stop it and not wait for the tap. Just a thought.

Sorry but compared to guys like Yves "At the Drop of a Hat" Lavigne, I'll take refs like Valel who let fighters have a chance at a comeback and to show their toughness and heart. While I agree the Munoz choke late stoppage was bad, if Carneiro knew Munoz was out he should have released the hold instead of waiting for the ref to step in. These guys train too long and too hard and have too much on the line to have a ref stop a fight so quickly.

Fair enough, but I think Valel will have quite the portfolio after a few years.

When he has "highlight" videos on YouTube like people's then you will know he is an abysmal failure as a ref.

He truly is off to a great start though, and he obviously isn't a fan of early stoppages.

Sorry but compared to guys like Yves "At the Drop of a Hat" Lavigne, I'll take refs like Valel who let fighters have a chance at a comeback and to show their toughness and heart. While I agree the Munoz choke late stoppage was bad, if Carneiro knew Munoz was out he should have released the hold instead of waiting for the ref to step in. These guys train too long and too hard and have too much on the line to have a ref stop a fight so quickly.
Fighter safety is paramount, and they cannot prolong a beating on the off-chance they might come-to. Also, it's not Roan's job to stop the fight, that was all on Valel.

Fighter safety is paramount, and they cannot prolong a beating on the off-chance they might come-to. Also, it's not Roan's job to stop the fight, that was all on Valel.

I think fan entertainment is paramount, otherwise we're watching the wrong sport. If fighter safety was most important, Rory Mac would not have seen the 5th round against Lawler.

It's not Carneiro's job no, but he's on record criticizing Valel for the late stoppage and you can see in the gif he's yelling at the ref that Munoz is out. Since he knows Munoz is out, he should let the submission go. It's not like Munoz would wake up and continue fighting if he did that and Valel didn't stop the fight.

Yeah, he is pretty bad. I'm starting to lean toward preferring early stoppages than late ones. That being said, it's a very difficult job and I would not want to do it.

I think fan entertainment is paramount, otherwise we're watching the wrong sport. If fighter safety was most important, Rory Mac would not have seen the 5th round against Lawler.

It's not Carneiro's job no, but he's on record criticizing Valel for the late stoppage and you can see in the gif he's yelling at the ref that Munoz is out. Since he knows Munoz is out, he should let the submission go. It's not like Munoz would wake up and continue fighting if he did that and Valel didn't stop the fight.
Roan was asking Valel to check if he was out. If he'd have let go and Mark wasn't actually out, he'd have lost the decision. Also, it is about fighter safety. Rory was hurt, but he was still fighting and was even winning the fight, so they hadn't any reason to stop it.

What about Herb "best for business" Dean? Bet Valel wouldve given Mendes a chance.

Yeah, Velel is a good ref, he tries to try let the fighter back into the tight , PRIDE style. You guyrs are just pussified oh my God. The scariest injury that ever happened just happened today and it was on a takedown and the ref stopped it perfectly. Refs know what theyre doing , you guys dont

Roan was asking Valel to check if he was out. If he'd have let go and Mark wasn't actually out, he'd have lost the decision. Also, it is about fighter safety. Rory was hurt, but he was still fighting and was even winning the fight, so they hadn't any reason to stop it.

Also, you need to hold a choke for quite a while after loss of consciousness to actually kill someone; my understanding is a couple of minutes of full compression is necessary to cause death.

A late release on a choke looks bad, but even an extra 15 seconds is likely to do any permanent harm.

Yeah, Velel is a good ref, he tries to try let the fighter back into the tight , PRIDE style. You guyrs are just pussified oh my God. The scariest injury that ever happened just happened today and it was on a takedown and the ref stopped it perfectly. Refs know what theyre doing , you guys dont

i didnt think the Burkman stoppage was premature. i liked that Velel gave a durable guy like Burkman a chance to try to work out of the gnp and Burkman didnt really appear hurt or dazed after he got up.

a bad stoppage was Weidman vs Munoz (by Josh Rosenthal, who had reffed a bunch of fights very well prior to that):

weidman-elbows-munoz1.gif

Yeah, he is pretty bad. I'm starting to lean toward preferring early stoppages than late ones. That being said, it's a very difficult job and I would not want to do it.

I agree, I can admit I could never be ref and would most likely suck at it. Valel is probably a good guy, but I don't think he's cut out for this job.

a bad stoppage was Weidman vs Munoz (by Josh Rosenthal, who had reffed a bunch of fights very well prior to that):

weidman-elbows-munoz1.gif

It's a bad stoppage, but at least Rosenthal manned up and admitted he dropped the ball after watching the fight. Most of these refs don't even seem to realize when they fuck up.

What about Herb "best for business" Dean? Bet Valel wouldve given Mendes a chance.

I admit sometimes late stoppages look bad but in reality they aren't that bad for fighter health or safety. Holding a choke a few seconds after consciousness is lost is not life-threatening or anything. A few extra punches aren't going to cause longterm damage either. These are professional fighters who get hit and choked in training all day every day during camps and in fights. A few extra isn't as bad as all that.

Back