• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jeff glover, whats wrong with this guy....

The sooner BJJ practitioners realize their whole martial art is just a set of specific drills for freestyle fighting, like TKD, the better off they'll be.

I don't see any difference between getting oddly good at BJJ vs. oddly good at Olympic TKD.

Maybe a long time ago, you could boast that a BJJ guy was better at basically untrained fighting than a TKD guy, but the world has changed since then.

Did it?

i went to a seminar of his a few months ago, lots of great deep half stuff, he basically explained the algorithm he uses for sweeps and detailed quite a few entries into DHG from all sorts of positions.

he said he doesn't just compete to win, he competes to be entertaining an have fun and specifically talked about the 50/50 footsie epidemic and how he wanted to play away from that

Last edited:

Yup. Now crumby fighters from windmilling MMA McDojos can slap the teeth off purple belts with the same confidence they handle TKD guys.

Worse still, tons of TKD gyms all have BJJ or Judo in them so you can't even separate the knowledge anymore. Now the TKD guys all throw spinning kicks because they aren't afraid of playing guard.

It's sick.

Well...It sure isn't 1993 anymore, haha!

Guess that's what it looks like spending to much time rolling around on a carefully padded floor, LOL!

But actually, the point is he's getting out of trouble and the other guy can't sub him which is awesome!

That alone is worth the 11 min, haha!

He can do it because he can. ..
It is like an artist that paints abstracts.

It is not eye pleasing for the general Bjj community but he prefers what he does.

I see blue belts copying him and that makes me cringe.
But I try to not care.

I have defended a lot of Glover's matches over the past few years. My whole thing is play around and be entertaining as much as you want. I enjoy it. This one is confusing because even though heel hooks were illegal here I have a hard time believing that he wasn't able to submit this guy in ten mins. Why not play around for a few mins and then tap the guy?

He even let go of a few deep subs like his patented guillotine when someone is coming up from a berimbolo or leg drag to bodylock. That alone easily could have gotten a finish. If it worked on Robson Moura and Glover is better at it now i don't see how it wasn't able to work on this guy.

It's like he chose to not finish the guy. He used to aggressive sweep and pass and sub guys.

I think one of the mendes bro got the ire of the people when he racked over 30 points against an outclassed Japanese competitor a few years ago. He could have the dude out of his misery by subbing him instead really quick.

I think Glover thought it was going to be a cakewalk (gonna fuck around and submit the guy),
so he did his normal "PLAY" style, but looked like he gassed from defending.

Paulo Miyao couldn't submit the other guy 2 years ago, so don't think Glover outclasses the Wangi guy:

Yup. Now crumby fighters from windmilling MMA McDojos can slap the teeth off purple belts with the same confidence they handle TKD guys.

Worse still, tons of TKD gyms all have BJJ or Judo in them so you can't even separate the knowledge anymore. Now the TKD guys all throw spinning kicks because they aren't afraid of playing guard.

It's sick.
Your talking about Mma gyms not tkd gyms... Tkd olympic focus gyms do tkd, not Mma...

He can do it because he can. ..
It is like an artist that paints abstracts.

It is not eye pleasing for the general Bjj community but he prefers what he does.

I see blue belts copying him and that makes me cringe.
But I try to not care.

If I see one if my blue belts fucking around like him, I would personally tell him to try that on me, if he can, good, but I'm going to do my best to sub his ass as many times as I can... Dude is a blue belt for a reason, he ain't Jeff glover and he's got a long ass road to be something close to Jeffs levels. It hurts my eyes to see glover do this shit, I can't imagine my students doing shit like this...

Your talking about Mma gyms not tkd gyms... Tkd olympic focus gyms do tkd, not Mma...

Around me, they all have BJJ or Judo.

And either way, BJJ is equally ineffective against a modern man.

If I see one if my blue belts fucking around like him, I would personally tell him to try that on me, if he can, good, but I'm going to do my best to sub his ass as many times as I can... Dude is a blue belt for a reason, he ain't Jeff glover and he's got a long ass road to be something close to Jeffs levels. It hurts my eyes to see glover do this shit, I can't imagine my students doing shit like this...

No. I was not referring to one of my blue belts. It was some others blue belts that I see during open mats.

I do not want to create mini version of myself by all means.

My concept is strong judo followed by ibjjf point system.
E

Haha, looks like Glover's having fun, and I feel pretty confident in guessing he doesn't give a fuck about garnering your approval. He has a great attitude and does what he loves.

I think Glover thought it was going to be a cakewalk (gonna fuck around and submit the guy),
so he did his normal "PLAY" style, but looked like he gassed from defending.

Paulo Miyao couldn't submit the other guy 2 years ago, so don't think Glover outclasses the Wangi guy:

The other guy did look solid. Nice to see him against Paulo Miyao. Glover has ended up in that situation before. Against Baret Yoshida at Metamoris he was in position to finish a top side triangle early on and let go to keep the match going and then got tired later in the match.

It's sick.

It's a bit exaggerated IMO
Most likely scenario of purple belt ag legit purple belt : Mc dojo guys go for a jab cross get single or double legged, side controlled, scramble, back taken, choked.

Around me, they all have BJJ or Judo.

And either way, BJJ is equally ineffective against a modern man.

A modern Man? Where do you train at? I will agree that some purples are so focus on sportive stuff that might have some problems adjusting their games right away to a violent scenario, but that same purple should be in good condition and if he's a competitor probable used to operate under heavy pressure, give him a couple of weeks to train with strikes and under similar physical conditions, should be Able to deal with any situation. It really surprises sow one who's been training for a while thinks this way, may be your experience at your gums isn't optimal.

Back