JDS and his nasty leg infection! [IMG]

Surely there is some way they can prevent from getting staph?

But he is dead
giphy.gif

I had this in my foot last year. I had a tiny scratch between my toes, next day I woke up and my foot was twice the size of the other.

Shit comes on FAST.

MRSA is the number one reason why I haven't started training MMA. Even though I really want to. I have the money and time to go through a simulated fight camp, but these staph infections are keeping me far away from unhygienic sweaty men in the gym.
#1 Wear a long-sleeve rashguard and spats if it isn't too hot.
#2 Shower as soon as you get home (which is how you avoid ring worm and the rest)
#3 I always change into a spare t shirt and shorts after training that I can wear on the drive home and would rinse off the exposed parts of my arms and face with water before leaving
#4 Don't shave the day-of training, the night before at the soonest. If you have cuts cover them with bandaid and athletic tape, if they come off and are in an exposed area just wait until a scab forms and continue covering it, you should be fine

Some people naturally carry non-benign staph on their bodies and it takes hours in a hot, sweaty environment for it to grow. My gym never had an instance but we would use the mats up to 3 hours back to back and we had good ventilation, but some BJJ gyms I know of in the area have maybe 1 cleaning of the mats in the middle of the day and they are used 3-4 hours with a high volume of students in a poorly ventilated area.

He probably scratched this pimple and did this to himself.

Nah, he's got a wound vac placed at the infection site. Its pretty serious when you get a drain like that inserted, no way it's from a mere pimple

Jesus, imagine checking a leg kick.

giphy.gif

I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago, ironically after training in Miami also. It started out as a tiny pimple that popped during a shower, next day entire leg was a balloon and I was in the ER getting a lance/drain tube put in and a heavy round of antibiotics, which really do the trick.

Back