Jan-Anderson 2 Card was a depressing remark on the state of the UFC promoting/marketing. Your worst?

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't remember a card where things played out in such depressing fashion at all levels of a card from start to finish. I can't think of a single fight on this card where I was surprised or pleased with the outcome (perhaps Means folding to Rodiguez was kinda interesting?). Do you have any worse ones that come to mind from the modern era?

In order:

-Awful crowd booing a ton

-Best "prospect" on the card was put in the very first fight and smoked a lame forced "1st married couple on the same card" fight, resulting in a lay n pray snoozefest for the wife

-Merab vs. Allen was the best skill matchup by far and was not only on the bottom of the card, was went from burner of a fight, to obvious decision after Rd1

-Clark-Townsend is an inexcusable booking with a guy who has shown NOTHING in the the UFC getting put into a hometown squash match just THREE WEEKS AFTER LOSING HIS 2ND IN A ROW, and the hometown guy still can't put him away

-Miller, a guy who should be getting Cerrone treatment for his company loyalty, put on the undercard against a granite chinned vet in Holtzman, creating a sad stalemate that further hurt both of their aging chins and proved nothing to anyone.

-Dodson-Wood fight gets stopped way early in what could have been a FOTN candidate

-Borg misses weight then decisions the guy anyways

-Weaver-Vargas in a fight that wasn't so great before a DQ

- Lando vs. Yancy was a theoretical war that turned into a feeler sesh.

-Sanchez v Pereira was extremely depressing to watch an unqualified Sanchez even fight, let alone endure brutal damage that ended in a DQ

-Jan KO's Corey on an early B-Tier exchange of strikes, wiping out much of the hype for the deserved Reyes-Jones matchup after Jones lost to Reyes without actually showing us anything that Reyes-Jones couldn't offer.

Last edited:
Which is exactly why I went bowling with the guys last night and didn't watch the sad, Hollywood pseudo-sport that UFC has devolved into

You invested too much energy into this

I saw a 15 second highlight of the main event, that was plenty ufc for me from this card

I like next week's card more but the Virginia card is pretty rough. Brazil, London, & Columbus FNs are very solid for March though, hopefully April offers more of the same.

Wasn't that bad. Diego was a bit disappointing, but I guess he wanted the win bonus

Those DQ losses were absolute travesties

That Weaver/Vargas fight was good though TS I don't agree with you there. Just a depressing ending.

The Jacaré-Blachowicz card in São Paulo was the worst. Every fight was terrible except Do Bronx getting a nice KO over some can. Spent the following days wondering if I even wanted to keep watching this sport. But alas, the JBG were not done with me.

Not every card can be good. Main event was good and I liked the lando fight. It’s better then most other stuff there is to watch, IMO. IDK, I just like watching fights.

Yancy Medeiros losing to that tomato can Lando was also very depressing.

Card sucked. UFC is terrible nowadays. Waste of everyone’s time

Meh it was free on ESPN plus or via streaming. I didn't expect much from this event and I only watched the co and main event so I didn't really miss out on much or lose my time. Now a days you got to pick and choose which cards you want to devote your time to and just cherry pick the fights you do want to see on weak cards like this one.

I use to watch every fight on every card until roughly 2017 when the events got much weaker. The UFC should book roughly 2 events per month with an occasional 3 here and there.

All 4 cards in 2020 have been lackluster

3 of them have been riddled with some form of controversy

A handful of KOs or subs that haven't stuck out as being very memorable

After 6 weeks we maybe have Jones v Reyes or Roxy vs Barber as legit Fight of the year candidates.

...and both of those featured some form of controversy.

You invested too much energy into this

I saw a 15 second highlight of the main event, that was plenty ufc for me from this card
I had it on while doing work and watching other stuff, so it luckily didn't ruin my day, I just found myself literally disliking what I watched more than more casual-viewing cards that end up having some decent scraps.

I can't remember a card where things played out in such depressing fashion at all levels of a card from start to finish. I can't think of a single fight on this card where I was surprised or pleased with the outcome (perhaps Means folding to Rodiguez was kinda interesting?). Do you have any worse ones that come to mind from the modern era?

In order:

-Best "prospect" on the card was put in the very first fight and smoked a lame forced "1st married couple on the same card" fight, resulting in a lay n pray snoozefest for the wife

-Merab vs. Allen was the best skill matchup by far and was not only on the bottom of the card, was went from burner of a fight, to obvious decision after Rd1

-Clark-Townsend is an inexcusable booking with a guy who has shown NOTHING in the the UFC getting put into a hometown squash match just THREE WEEKS AFTER LOSING HIS 2ND IN A ROW, and the hometown guy still can't put him away

-Miller, a guy who should be getting Cerrone treatment for his company loyalty, put on the undercard against a granite chinned vet in Holtzman, creating a sad stalemate that further hurt both of their aging chins and proved nothing to anyone.

-Dodson-Wood fight gets stopped way early in what could have been a FOTN candidate

-Sanchez v Pereira was extremely depressing to watch an unqualified Sanchez even fight, let alone endure brutal damage that ended in a DQ

-Jan KO's Corey on an early B-Tier exchange of strikes, wiping out much of the hype for the deserved Reyes-Jones matchup after Jones lost to Reyes without actually showing us anything that Reyes-Jones couldn't offer.

What do you mean by "B-tier exchange of strikes"? I hope you don't mean technique, because Jan's technique is very good.
I love how people shit on Jan and giving him 1% vs Jones when Thiago arguably beat Jones and he was 1:1 with Jan. Sure, he KO'ed Jan after Jan had a brain fart and rushed forward but technique-wise, Jan is very good. Even Gus had to resort to wrestling when he fought him.

What do you mean by "B-tier exchange of strikes"? I hope you don't mean technique, because Jan's technique is very good.
I love how people shit on Jan and giving him 1% vs Jones when Thiago arguably beat Jones and he was 1:1 with Jan. Sure, he KO'ed Jan after Jan had a brain fart and rushed forward but technique-wise, Jan is very good. Even Gus had to resort to wrestling when he fought him.
I'm saying the exchange was B-Tier in that, despite being a nice clean land, wasn't exactly some amazing battle or exchange. Just a dude ducking ugly right into a clean punch. Nothing that indicates champion tier quality. But got turned into a "omg Jones goat vs. power Jan!!!!" when we just saw Reyes essentially win a title.
I don't have a problem with Jan, I'm just lamenting how even the one legit finish involving relevant fighters was frustrating for the division.

In order:

For future reference, here's a tip for you. This type of card is made for highlights. In 5 minutes you see all the exciting stuff and save yourself about 2 1\2 hrs. Your welcome.

Yancy Medeiros losing to that tomato can Lando was also very depressing.
Horrible fight lando spent all his energy trying to look kung fu cool running backwards instead of fighting

Back