• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies James Gunn's SUPERMAN (First Look at New Superman with New Suit, post #631)

What do you think of the new Superman suit?

• Total voters
Honesty, seems like most are bummed about the cancellation of the Batman Beyond movie with Keaton playing an older Bruce Wayne. Even those that didn’t know that film was being planned. I feel like DC is making a major mistake here.
Yeah it would have been cool to see that version of Batman Beyond movie but it would have led to a more disjointed universe which is the problem with the old WB regime's philosophy which was to throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. And that is why the new DC Studios put the brakes on that project while they try to consolidate everything and map out the future of the DCU for the next ten years or so.

Matt Reeves' The Batman universe is already untouchable and will continue to expand with its sequels and spinoffs. The main DC Universe will also try to revitalized their own Batman for future solo movies and other DCU appearances. So having a third Batman, the Michael Keaton version, will just muddy the waters and taint the DC brand from the casual viewers.

Man, Batman Beyond would've been awesome. :(

Just bring back the Richard Donner version of Superman, complete with the full John Williams score. The real Superman.

Nah. That shit suck ass and would be boring. Nostalgia is hell of a drug, but trust me, that kind of movie will be a fucking snoozefest if released today.

Nah. That shit suck ass and would be boring. Nostalgia is hell of a drug, but trust me, that kind of movie will be a fucking snoozefest if released today.
Well yeah, by today's standards the 70s Superman is kinda boring. But I'm not saying they should copy the old storylines from that era. I definitely don't want to see another real estate scheme. But I mean they should bring back THAT version of Superman, and definitely bring back the John Williams score, and then wrap an all new action packed story around him.

Not shocked about WW. The sequel seemed like it was a pretty big clusterfuck. I'm a bit shocked about "Black Adam" getting the ax, though. Modest returns, but I figured that having the biggest action star in the world, would give it a stay of execution. At least for a sequel attempt.

Then again, maybe the whole "Superhero" genre, is running out of steam. Even "Black Panther 2", which I'm sure made bank in a flash, seems like it's already been forgotten, after being promoted as the most important film ever made, ever and forever.

The Black Panther being 5'5" and 110 pounds just did not sit right. Did not feel "fitting" and threw everything off.

but I figured that having the biggest action star in the world, would give it a stay of execution.
Hey! Tom Cruise was not in that movie.
arvid.gif

Well yeah, by today's standards the 70s Superman is kinda boring. But I'm not saying they should copy the old storylines from that era. I definitely don't want to see another real estate scheme. But I mean they should bring back THAT version of Superman, and definitely bring back the John Williams score, and then wrap an all new action packed story around him.

I tend to think that the problem they have with any kind of extended universe is that Batman and Superman depend a lot on their settings and those settings are almost the exact opposite.

Really I think they should keep the two of them as separate franchises so they can play to their strenghts.

I tend to think that the problem they have with any kind of extended universe is that Batman and Superman depend a lot on their settings and those settings are almost the exact opposite.

Really I think they should keep the two of them as separate franchises so they can play to their strenghts.
Yeah, I prefer Superman and Metropolis to be bright and optimistic. Like in the Donner movie, and like in the animated series. It's why I hated the Synderverse. He turned Superman emo.

Soooo, let me get this right. The most guaranteed success is the sequel to one of the worst DCU movies so far, Aquaman? Am I reading this right?

Also, gotta say, this sucks for Dwayne. Usually he's a boost to a franchise (Fast and furious was dwindling down till he came along) and this has to be a massive kick in the balls for him. Mostly bcs he has to take the blame, while WB, the director (mostly known for multiple Liam Neeson Taken rip-offs and wannabe's, Jungle Cruise as well as some B level horror movies) and writer (co-writer of Alvin and the Chimpunks and Rampage), directly hired by WB, take absolutely no blame at all.

This is Green Lantern all over again.

Honesty, seems like most are bummed about the cancellation of the Batman Beyond movie with Keaton playing an older Bruce Wayne. Even those that didn’t know that film was being planned. I feel like DC is making a major mistake here.

The idea is great but the reality would have probably just been another sub par movie. I think this whole thing is a great move by DC because this is honestly what should have happened a long time ago.

Soooo, let me get this right. The most guaranteed success is the sequel to one of the worst DCU movies so far, Aquaman? Am I reading this right?

Also, gotta say, this sucks for Dwayne. Usually he's a boost to a franchise (Fast and furious was dwindling down till he came along) and this has to be a massive kick in the balls for him. Mostly bcs he has to take the blame, while WB, the director (mostly known for multiple Liam Neeson Taken rip-offs and wannabe's, Jungle Cruise as well as some B level horror movies) and writer (co-writer of Alvin and the Chimpunks and Rampage), directly hired by WB, take absolutely no blame at all.

This is Green Lantern all over again.
Your post reenforces my thinking that this is like the Ed Norton/Hulk/Marvel controversy.

Dwayne, the director (directed Dwayne movies in the past), and the writer (wrote Dwayne movies in the past) all have one thing in common: Dwayne Johnson.

I assume studio executives felt that Dwayne was a little too involved. He isn't the boss, no matter how invested he is in the character and franchise.

Yeah, I prefer Superman and Metropolis to be bright and optimistic. Like in the Donner movie, and like in the animated series. It's why I hated the Synderverse. He turned Superman emo.

Really it just ended up as a blandening of both Superman and Batman for me with a very generic setting, most of the MCU character I don't think depend as much on their setting as those two do.

I could see maybe a more serious take on Superman than Reeves films but still as you say Superman for me needs bright americana to work just as Batman needs grit and grim to work. I mean really we havent even had a proper Superman origin film since the original have we? I think people would probably be fine with something that spends time in smallville, personally I wouldnt mind the whole thing being period, maybe set in the late 40's/early 50's.

Your post reenforces my thinking that this is like the Ed Norton/Hulk/Marvel controversy.

Dwayne, the director (directed Dwayne movies in the past), and the writer (wrote Dwayne movies in the past) all have one thing in common: Dwayne Johnson.

I assume studio executives felt that Dwayne was a little too involved. He isn't the boss, no matter how invested he is in the character and franchise.

Dwayne does marketing. Twitter and Insta are his thing, he (usually) brings views. Can't say I blame him for trying (though his illusions of grandeur as a savior of DCU are silly). That said, he was neither the director or a writer here. He was a co-producer, but that can mean many things.

Dwayne does marketing. Twitter and Insta are his thing, he (usually) brings views. Can't say I blame him for trying (though his illusions of grandeur as a savior of DCU are silly). That said, he was neither the director or a writer here. He was a co-producer, but that can mean many things.

I didn't state that he was the director or writer.

Rather, he has collaborated in the past with the writer and director of Black Adam in the past.

Therefore, he would have more influence on in their work (or at least he would think he would have more influence on their work)

No

Only good things from DC in years is Peace maker n the newer Suicide squad both were Gunn projects. Black Adam was fun but very average . Aquaman better hit

It is cool to talk about 10 year plans and all that stuff but the company is over-leveraged and pretty much everybody seems to think it will have a new owner within a few years.

Hopefully Gunn and crew will have a few films well along by then.

Back