• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Jake Paul signs for PFL, also now part owner, promises 50% of revenue to go to fighters.

Full NYT article

Jake Paul, the most successful fighter riding a recent influencer-to-professional-boxer trend and one of the most vocal critics of fighter pay in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, will fight in mixed martial arts for a rival promotional company.

Paul recently signed a multiyear contract with the Professional Fighters League to compete in a new division, known as Super Fight, with events on pay-per-view. Paul does not yet have a bout scheduled, but he plans to fight in 2023.

Paul and his business partner, Nakisa Bidarian, are among the founders of the new division and now own an equity share of the P.F.L., although terms of the deal were not disclosed by Paul or the league.

Paul’s official role will be “head of fighter advocacy” — a fancy title that means that Paul will post on social media about the P.F.L. to his millions of followers. Bidarian, who was previously chief financial officer at the U.F.C., will assist with league operations and logistics for the pay-per-view events.

earn less than 20 percent of total revenue, which includes other sources of revenue like ticket sales and sponsorships.

“This is about changing M.M.A., disrupting, innovating, and creating the next big league,” Paul said in an interview.

In the N.F.L., where athletes unionized, for example, athletes receive roughly 50 percent of league revenue. Athletes are not unionized in combat sports, including M.M.A. and boxing.

The revenue split in the U.F.C. has been a contentious point for fighters, and some have spoken out about their frustrations. Jorge Masvidal and Jon Jones, two of the sport’s most popular fighters, threatened retirement from the U.F.C. in 2020 in search of increased pay. And Henry Cejudo, who held belts in both the flyweight and bantamweight divisions, retired in May 2020 but left the door open to a return if he were paid more.

“If I’m bringing in XYZ dollars, giving me 18 percent of those dollars that I bring in, it’s not fair, man,” Masvidal said on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” in June 2020.

A lawsuit was filed against the U.F.C.’s parent company in 2014 that accuses the company of having both an illegal monopoly and monopsony power, which is when a buyer of services faces little competition. That litigation is still ongoing.

striving for legitimacy in the sport, outboxed the former U.F.C. champion Anderson Silva, who was 47 years old during the October fight, for his most impressive boxing victory. The win showed Paul’s evolution as a boxer, and in a news conference afterward, Paul lobbied to box next against Nate Diaz, a popular U.F.C. fighter who is now a free agent.

high school experience as a wrestler and two years of jujitsu training in his childhood as evidence of why he could compete in M.M.A. Yet, he said that he had been training for “like 15 minutes.”

“The biggest thing for me would be getting the kicks down,” Paul said. “But I’m going to start now, moving forward with some extra time I have within this camp. I’m going to put in some extra time, rolling around doing some jujitsu and learning some kicks.”

The new division is expected to blend fights with influencers and celebrities who show some “level of fighting proficiency” with bouts between established professional fighters, similar to the circus that has become routine with a Jake Paul boxing event.

Some fighters from the P.F.L.’s roster may crossover to the Super Fight division, but Murray said the league was more focused on signing new fighters who can be pay-per-view draws.

“And giving top fighters in the world an opportunity to compete on a global stage against the best talent in the world and an opportunity on a guaranteed basis to earn more money to fight,” he said.

imagine jakes face when he gets taken down and pounded to death

I think the really big news is him owning a stake in it now as well. Shows he's actually serious and say what you will about him but the kid knows how to promote.

Could be the start of the closest thing we've had to a genuine rival for the UFC in a long time.

<mma4>

He’s going to fight in the MW division? Who do they have in PFL MW? I have no idea. Let’s see how he looks if he actually steps in there

I think the really big news is him owning a stake in it now as well. Shows he's actually serious and say what you will about him but the kid knows how to promote.

Could be the start of the closest thing we've had to a genuine rival for the UFC in a long time.
the only thing it means he`ll face trunk drivers with no wrestling until some superfight in 2025

<mma4>

He’s going to fight in the MW division? Who do they have in PFL MW? I have no idea. Let’s see how he looks if he actually steps in there

I don't think he's going to be fighting that calibre of opposition straight away (as he shouldn't), but he can fight Mike Jackson and it'll draw eyes.

Don't blame PFL at all... Jake and Logan move the needle when it comes to casual interest. Can see him in Mayweather Jr type fights to start off. Jake vs CM Punk MMA would be fun and laughable.

Yeah Jake has 5 times as many followers as the Nelk Boys and you know how much Dana bends over backwards for them to try and get that demographic.

Back