Jake mathews surgeries

Anewt

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Great article on jake mathews having a seizure weight cutting and details his surgeries . Must admit I was unawares of the extent. Apparently fractured his hip throwing a kick in the lee fight.

* lifted from article
I had to get eight millimetres shaved off three sides of both hip bones. I had to get the fracture fixed up. I had to get my labrum cartilage sewn back on, because that was floating around. I had arthritis in my hips. But they reckon it’s all fixed now and shouldn’t affect me anymore.

My bad if shared before if not i suggest reading the full article its a decent read.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/jake-matthews-fighting-my-way-out-of-hell/#IJT7TkyC9ZDZsT5D.97

I didn’t lose at welterweight as a kid and I still haven’t.
Apparently he isn't counting Olivier Aubin Mercier dominating him on TUF.

Surprised it wasn’t about an eye surgery after Li using every dirty trick to gouge his eyes out.

Fucking disgusting and should have been been from the UFC

jake in the other hand, I wish him the best, the kid is a beast

Crazy what these guys will put themselves through to get weight advantage.

hope they start cracking down before someone dies ffs

Surprised it wasn’t about an eye surgery after Li using every dirty trick to gouge his eyes out.

Fucking disgusting and should have been been from the UFC

jake in the other hand, I wish him the best, the kid is a beast

I completely forgot about that eye gouge somehow . Used it too escape the choke if i recall correctly it was one of the worst I've seen. Jake didn't complain which I think is the only reason he wasn't sanctioned.
Matthews-eye.jpg

Even more outrageous was the reward of 50g for fotn. All should have went to Jake imo.

Having that many injuries this young is a bad sign.

A lifetime of contact sport does it. I believe most of his injuries started playing afl, it's pretty commonplace for alot of our popular sports. Most kids who are sporty generally speaking compete in every sport they can , you usually end up culling them down to 1 or 2 as you get older though. Nothing unusual about competitng all year round in different sports because our winters are actually much more pleasant than summer sports.

I have two brothers between the 3 of us 5 acl operations numerous breaks, fractures etc . Probably the worst thing is actually the amount of concussions that go undiagnosed . Expecially if you're not playing high level. Less eyes / medics etc. The better you are the safer you are.

* this was how it was when i was younger, i assume it's somewhat similar still

A lifetime of contact sport does it. I believe most of his injuries started playing afl, it's pretty commonplace for alot of our popular sports. Most kids who are sporty generally speaking compete in every sport they can , you usually end up culling them down to 1 or 2 as you get older though. Nothing unusual about competitng all year round in different sports because our winters are actually much more pleasant than summer sports.

I have two brothers between the 3 of us 5 acl operations numerous breaks, fractures etc . Probably the worst thing is actually the amount of concussions that go undiagnosed . Expecially if you're not playing high level. Less eyes / medics etc. The better you are the safer you are.

* this was how it was when i was younger, i assume it's somewhat similar still
Well when I was young I played everything in oz except Afl. Didn't ever get a serious injury bar a dislocated collar bone playing rugby. Very lucky but now after the Military my back and ears are fuct.

Back