Jake Hager vs Brandon Calton, Entertaining Fight

RODNEY83

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Cudos to the big men for putting on a very entertaining fight. Both fighters had no quit in them and both actually had some really good fight pacing for heavyweights. Even at age 40, I hope Bellator decision makers bring back Brandon Calton for another fight in the Bellator cage. Jake Hager looks to be progressing well in his MMA journey.

Cudos to the big men for putting on a very entertaining fight. Both fighters had no quit in them and both actually had some really good fight pacing for heavyweights. Even at age 40, I hope Bellator decision makers bring back Brandon Calton for another fight in the Bellator cage. Jake Hager looks to be progressing well in his MMA journey.
Don't know how well Hager is progressing, but he showed he can take some abuse and keep at it. I didn't watch the early prelims, but it was the most entertaining fight I saw by far. Hope he stays with it, but after that fight, pro rasslin' might seem the better option to him.

Don't know how well Hager is progressing, but he showed he can take some abuse and keep at it. I didn't watch the early prelims, but it was the most entertaining fight I saw by far. Hope he stays with it, but after that fight, pro rasslin' might seem the better option to him.
So now we have Sherdoggers, once seeing a tough fight between two MMA fighters, posting a statement that another form of entertainment is a better option. So would you rather see Jake Hager fighting a total "can" and gaining nothing? Or fighting a tough, undefeated fighter, who wouldn't backed down?

I didn't think he won the fight and I don't think he was really enjoying coming up against real adversity.

I don't mind watching him fight, but as Bellator seem to be trying to build a legit HW division, I don't know what they could really do with him. I doubt they'd throw him in there with someone like Shawn Teed for example.

Maybe he could fight Ras Hylton, that might be an interesting test for him

I didn't think he won the fight and I don't think he was really enjoying coming up against real adversity.

I don't mind watching him fight, but as Bellator seem to be trying to build a legit HW division, I don't know what they could really do with him. I doubt they'd throw him in there with someone like Shawn Teed for example.

Maybe he could fight Ras Hylton, that might be an interesting test for him
Fine, you think he didn't win. Yet, it still doesn't change the fact that Jake Hager fought a tough opponent and neither backed down and neither gave up. That's called fortitude and toughness. What kind of ridiculous statement of he didn't enjoy coming up against adversity? He didn't quit did he? No. He kept at it until the final bell. That is progressing because he was challenged and didn't back down from that challenge. I really hope to see Brandon Calton back in the Bellator cage again.

Fine, you think he didn't win. Yet, it still doesn't change the fact that Jake Hager fought a tough opponent and neither backed down and neither gave up. That's called fortitude and toughness. What kind of ridiculous statement of he didn't enjoy coming up against adversity? He didn't quit did he? No. He kept at it until the final bell. That is progressing because he was challenged and didn't back down from that challenge. I really hope to see Brandon Calton back in the Bellator cage again.

I just don't think he looked like he was enjoying fighting. I have a feeling he might decide to focus on pro-wrestling as he doesn't need the money.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he carries on.

So now we have Sherdoggers, once seeing a tough fight between two MMA fighters, posting a statement that another form of entertainment is a better option. So would you rather see Jake Hager fighting a total "can" and gaining nothing? Or fighting a tough, undefeated fighter, who wouldn't backed down?
I'd like to see him fight guys on his own level who will give him a tough challenge, like the fight we just saw. Whether Jake wants more of what he got from Calton in the future remains to be seen. I'd like to see him continue, but he has other options, so I wouldn't blame him if he decided getting punched in the face over the course of 15 minutes isn't one of his better ones. His striking is sloppy, his takedowns one dimensional-do you really see this guy as some kind of contender in the future, Rodney? I know I don't.

Did Jake celebrated it with a little bit of the bubbly?

I'd like to see him fight guys on his own level who will give him a tough challenge, like the fight we just saw. Whether Jake wants more of what he got from Calton in the future remains to be seen. I'd like to see him continue, but he has other options, so I wouldn't blame him if he decided getting punched in the face over the course of 15 minutes isn't one of his better ones. His striking is sloppy, his takedowns one dimensional-do you really see this guy as some kind of contender in the future, Rodney? I know I don't.
I think Jake has/had the potential to become really good...
But i think we wont see it because of his other job over at AEW.

As you said...he should decide what he really wants.
Cant do both...pro wrestling is in his way. You either go full time MMA or not at all, if you wanna be a big time guy there.

OMG! It was a tough MMA fight with two undefeated MMA fighters, who are young in their MMA careers. Neither fighter quit from the adversity of the fight, they both rose up to the challenge of adversity. Yet, here you commenting about how it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to your eyes. Tough, gritty fights are not meant to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. It was Brandon Calton's 3rd fight and Jake Hager's 4th fight, I believe, and here you projecting from that little MMA experience about whether or not he will become some kind of contender in the future. Your expectations of MMA growth is way out of whack to anything I even wish to try to comprehend.

OMG! It was a tough MMA fight with two undefeated MMA fighters, who are young in their MMA careers. Neither fighter quit from the adversity of the fight, they both rose up to the challenge of adversity. Yet, here you commenting about how it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to your eyes. Tough, gritty fights are not meant to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. It was Brandon Calton's 3rd fight and Jake Hager's 4th fight, I believe, and here you projecting from that little MMA experience about whether or not he will become some kind of contender in the future. Your expectations of MMA growth is way out of whack to anything I even wish to try to comprehend.
Jake is 38. In most sports, that's already well past retirement age. If he really thinks he can accomplish something in a sport that's new to him, then I hope he goes for it and best of luck to him. But time is most definitely not on his side, and time always wins in the end.

I hope Bellator keeps Brandon Calton for at least another fight, he earned it. As far as Hager goes, he has a looooong way to go but he did show some grit and determination that I did not expect of him. I thought he was gonna go for a blast double from the beginning but he stood in there in the middle of the ring and slug it out. I'm not sure the talent is there for him to become a contender but he for sure can make fun fights.
Perhaps a fight against James Haskell in Europe would be a good fight.

Hagar would have been an interesting prospect, if he went into MMA right after college (Didn't he break Lesnars record for most pins in one season at HW?). Now he's probably too old for that. Still, that was a gutsy performance by both guys and Hagar showed that he can take a shot, bite down in his mouthpiece and keep going, he has determination.

Hagar would have been an interesting prospect, if he went into MMA right after college (Didn't he break Lesnars record for most pins in one season at HW?). Now he's probably too old for that. Still, that was a gutsy performance by both guys and Hagar showed that he can take a shot, bite down in his mouthpiece and keep going, he has determination.
And he showed he can have the mouthpiece punched out of his mouth and keep coming forward lol

I just don't think he looked like he was enjoying fighting. I have a feeling he might decide to focus on pro-wrestling as he doesn't need the money.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he carries on.
What kind of weird observation is your statement that you think Jake Hager didn't enjoy fighting? By your logic that means Gegard Mousasi enjoyed getting kicked in the legs by Douglas Lima. That means Michael Chandler enjoyed getting knocked out by Patricio Pitbull Freire. That means Julia Budd enjoyed getting beat down by Cris Cyborg. So MMA fighters having a tough gritty fight until the final bell means those fighters enjoyed getting hit in the face, taking physical body punishment, and getting cut. Your observation of Jake Hager not enjoying getting hit in the face is duh. I believe Brandon Calton wasn't enjoying getting hit in the face either.

What kind of weird observation is your statement that you think Jake Hager didn't enjoy fighting? By your logic that means Gegard Mousasi enjoyed getting kicked in the legs by Douglas Lima. That means Michael Chandler enjoyed getting knocked out by Patricio Pitbull Freire. That means Julia Budd enjoyed getting beat down by Cris Cyborg. So MMA fighters having a tough gritty fight until the final bell means those fighters enjoyed getting hit in the face, taking physical body punishment, and getting cut. Your observation of Jake Hager not enjoying getting hit in the face is duh. I believe Brandon Calton wasn't enjoying getting hit in the face either.
Some fighters have IT and other dont. I think he meant that Hager might have found out that MMA isnt what he thought, and perhaps he isnt made for it. Is one thing having easy fights against meat packing factory guys and another having a real fight that takes everything in you to overcome. These mental hurdles arent meant for everyone.
Check out Max Roskhoff for example, he was considered one of the bes LW prospects until he got punched in the face repeatedly and decided he wasnt made for it.

Back