Jack Dempsey: Championship Fighting

JackDempsey(Blue)WFCiam_C413.jpg

I just found out theres a fish named after Jack Dempset. Enjoy

I sold this book for 400 to an italian guy, i've got to get some kind of copy of it. A work of genius.

I sold this book for 400 to an italian guy, i've got to get some kind of copy of it. A work of genius.

it really is genius....out of print and EXTREMELY rare. Great stuff, thanks for the download. Is that the entire book? My printer spat out only 104 pages...seems kinda short with pictures and all....

dempsey-nonpareil-jack-13.bmp

The REAL deal.

This is the Jack Dempsey that even Jack Dempsey looked up to.

Do you really think this is a work of genius? I mean, honestly?

Eh, I have to say I'm a bit with Tam on that it's not so much "genius"...it was one of the first recognized written collections of already old Maxims of hand-to-hand combat, but it was hardly new information even then. Also, with the color lines definitively drawn, much better Fighters with much less recognition were every bit as knowing on the subject.

Well, Dempsey was a great fighter (never have gotten an argument out of me to the contrary) and in his time, he was the man. I'm not so sure about the book though. Alot of the technique and training advice in this book has been superceeded. Ten fold.

Unlike literature, which can age sometimes like wine...advice tends to have a real shelf life. Its interesting from a boxing historian point of view, dont get me wrong. But there's no way I'd recommend any young kids reading up on Jack Dempsey if they wanna know how to become a great fighter.

Some of the statements, like his perspective on the lost Art of the power-jab, are more timeless. But that's in small doses throughout, and I don't think he was the first to say so even on that.

Absolutely right, he definitly isn't a "genius" in any sense of being innovative or creating something from nothing. You gotta admit though that it sure was awesome for him to bring his collected wisdom together in book form, and from a self defense (take that for whatever you want) slant at that.

Historically I love the fact that when you read it, it's like you get to take a walk in his head and see a glimpse of how he operated.

he was a genius, a genius in the american sense, i won't argue the point because it's indisptutable in my mind.

Absolutely right, he definitly isn't a "genius" in any sense of being innovative or creating something from nothing. You gotta admit though that it sure was awesome for him to bring his collected wisdom together in book form, and from a self defense (take that for whatever you want) slant at that.

Historically I love the fact that when you read it, it's like you get to take a walk in his head and see a glimpse of how he operated.

If youre looking at it from that perspective, a better book would be "A flame of pure fire: jack dempsey and the roaring 20's"

Do you really think this is a work of genius? I mean, honestly?

In the right context, yes. You have to understand that there was nothing like it when it came out...and even today there is still a bunch of stuff that is applicable to any fighter's game today....

The forefather of instructional dvd's and online tutorials.

He says right in the book (the beginning part) that he at first began to believe all the hype of how he was a "natural" or a "genius." He states that upon relflection of his career, he owes evertying to the fighters and trainers who helped him along. The sole reason of writing the book is to share that knowledge that he has gained from from fighters before him so as not to water down the true intent of boxing...which is beating your opponent into a bloody mess.

lol. i read this a while back, its a good read.

He teaches you this move in the book called "the Sneaker", thats supposed to be performed from the clinch. LOL. It sounds real devastating but i still cant picture how its actually done.

dempsey-nonpareil-jack-13.bmp

The REAL deal.

This is the Jack Dempsey that even Jack Dempsey looked up to.

whos this pikey?

Back