Jacare

name

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
*i posted this thread in the MMA forum but decided to post this again here because it seems like more people follow jacare here*

two questions regarding ronaldo 'jacare' souza in MMA. i just received my Jungle Fights II DVD in the mail and i watched jacare's match...he looked impressive in there (for a primarily BJJ fighter) even though the guy he fought was a complete rookie too (victor babkir's first fight).

so anyways this is just out of curiousity...what is that thing he kept doing with his hands when he walked to the ring and when he won the match? he was drawing some sort of a symbol with his fingers...i just think it would be cooler if i knew what he was doing haha.

and second, why hasn't he fought in an MMA match since Jungle Fights II??? this was back in 2004 and i've read that jacare's interested in making a name for himself in MMA soo i was just wondering why he didn't fight at all in 05 and if anyone knows if he plans on doing so in 06.

thanks in advance...

if i'd like to see anyone make a successful transition from straight up BJJ to MMA...it would definitely be jacare. i think with the right training, he could really do well in MMA. i mean sure BJJ alone is completely different than MMA. but still, i think jacare's strength, takedowns, explosiveness, aggressiveness, and INCREDIBLE ground game would do him well. guys like arona can't punch their way out of a paper bag, but he still does exceptionally well.

He did break his arm in the Mundials against Roger Gracie that same summer. This could explain his absence from MMA up until now.

the broken arm slowed his progress in mma. but he should be really good with the proper training if he pursues it much

That man has beautiful Judo and BJJ. If he gets some decent striking, he could be great.

Wish he would join Chute Boxe or something. PERFECT team for him.

jacare is the greatest thing to ever come along since..well ever!!!! this guy is the greatest he is like no one ever in da history of fighting or anything else ooo jacare ooo jacare!!!!!!

he just usually does his croc crawl and shutting jaws motion after winning his matches. jacare's jiujitsu is perfect for MMA. fast, explosive, and very tight game/control. he will do good.

Just finished watching some of the ADCC 2005. He's officially my favorite jiujitsu fighter. This guy is amazing and no joke. Every match except vs Mejilla was exciting.

i think jacare's style will transition well...he has good takedowns, guard passing, aggression, etc. for some reason i imagine him fighting like paulo filho, another guy with good judo and bjj.

colinm said:
i think jacare's style will transition well...he has good takedowns, guard passing, aggression, etc. for some reason i imagine him fighting like paulo filho, another guy with good judo and bjj.

ronaldo jacare vs paulo filho in an MMA or BJJ match would be absolutely AMAZING! it's possible since they're in the same weight class.

Paulo filho would win IMO, Jacare got KO'd by Macaco. Jacare would need a lot more MMA training

jacare at chute boxe would be too much for any one, imagine ninj, shogun, and wandy grappling with aggression and the striking the already posess

Chute Stomp said:
Wish he would join Chute Boxe or something. PERFECT team for him.

lol actually yeah. He could do the nino schembri thing and exchange grappling for standup. Dunno if nino would feel threatened but if they are all in it to get better then they would welcome a 2nd bjj teacher.

IMO in bjj.. diversity in technique is very important. If you train w/ the same ppl over and over then you limit your game.

Back