• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It's October... Halloween/Horror Movies

Are you specifically looking for slashers or will any movie suggestion do? I quite liked Event Horizon for example but clearly more of a suspense movie I think.

Pet Semetary

Am I blasphemer for suggesting Hellraiser?

Also for the Halloween genre fans: WTF is with Halloween 3? Complete turn around from the other movies. Didn't understand it. Unless when I watched it they aired some other movie where kids were trick or treating and stuff.

People always seem to gloss over what happened with Halloween 3!

Halloween was originally intended to be an anthology series. So Michael Myers was only supposed to be in the first movie. It was meant to be a standalone, but since the character was so well received, they made a sequel and that was supposed to it. The third movie was going ahead with the anthology idea, but audiences had already tied Michael Myers to the franchise name. It was poorly received (despite being quite a good Halloween flick), and the franchise resigned to doing Michael Myers movies.

I've always wondered about how well the franchise may have gone if they stuck to the original idea and let the first be a standalone.

Return To Oz is up there as well as a fantasy that kind of crosses in to horror at times.

Dark Crystal is awesome, haven't watch it years though

RETURN TO OZ scared my wife so badly when she was a little kid that she still can't watch it to this day. Especially the parts with the wheelers & all the different heads. LOL.

My annual Halloween go-to's are:

The Exorcist
The Shining
Paranormal Activity 1-3
The Witch
Insidious
Sinister
The Blair Witch Project
28 Days Later
Good choices, The Exorcist, Blair Witch and Shining are all very high on my favorites list.

I really liked Paranormal Activity, it hooked me, dragged me in and really unnerved me at times.
The second one gave up the goods too early and I never finished it. Third one any better?

Better thread than that disturbing movie thread. Some of the descriptions I read there are fuuuuucccckkkkedd up.
I was never a fan of horror movies as a kid (into my mid 30s). Gave me nightmares. Now I am fine. Still can’t watch exorcist though.

Good choices, The Exorcist, Blair Witch and Shining are all very high on my favorites list.

I really liked Paranormal Activity, it hooked me, dragged me in and really unnerved me at times.
The second one gave up the goods too early and I never finished it. Third one any better?

You should definitely finish the second one...I could watch the first three paranormals over and over...3 is probably not the best, but is a must watch imo if you watch the first two, it's the same story line/characters and goes back to when they were little girls...

@sweetviolenturg Have you ever seen Robert Altman's Images? If not I think you might like it.

Anyone looking for a slightly different, very grounded drama/horror, Images is a great movie.
Released in 1972, it is quite the trip of a movie and really needs watching twice.
Not scary at all, in fact it's more of a mystery. very trippy though, beautiful scenery
Plus you get to see Susannah York's boobs

MV5BNjA1OTNhZWUtNjU2ZS00N2FiLTg3MDItYzFiOTZjNWJhNWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

Nope. I've never seen IMAGES but I might just have to track a copy down someday on your expert recommendation.
BTW, how are they? Ms. York's boobies that is. Are they as nice as Jenny Agutter's? LOL.
Speaking of which, that's my next purchase. The 4K scanned & remastered AWIL. I wish they were releasing it sooner but it's not coming out until the end of the month. And, I can't wait.

Better thread than that disturbing movie thread. Some of the descriptions I read there are fuuuuucccckkkkedd up.
I was never a fan of horror movies as a kid (into my mid 30s). Gave me nightmares. Now I am fine. Still can’t watch exorcist though.

I honestly wish I hadn't read some of the stuff I did in that thread...

<30>

You should definitely finish the second one...I could watch the first three paranormals over and over...3 is probably not the best, but is a must watch imo if you watch the first two, it's the same story line/characters and goes back to when they were little girls...
OK sold, I will dig them out

Trilogy or Terror?

Salems Lot?

Famous Vampire Killers.

Or

I love the Exorcist, it's top 3 all time in any genre for me

the scariest scene however is the carotid angiography (sp?) that Regan has to do, it is really upsetting to watch

Nope. I've never seen IMAGES but I might just have to track a copy down someday on your expert recommendation.
BTW, how are they? Ms. York's boobies that is. Are they as nice as Jenny Agutter's? LOL.
Speaking of which, that's my next purchase. The 4K scanned & remastered AWIL. I wish they were releasing it sooner but it's not coming out until the end of the month. And, I can't wait.
Ah they're nice enough! She is such a cool cat and really pretty, I always wanted to see her naked, and now we can!

Yes I pre-ordered American Werewolf months ago, not 4K but the deluxe Arrow Blu Ray release.
I genuinely have no idea when it is coming out though
12237634-1574692419618949.jpg

I love the Exorcist, it's top 3 all time in any genre for me

the scariest scene however is the carotid angiography (sp?) that Regan has to do, it is really upsetting to watch
I grew up in a really catholic family so man, I was told that shit could happen if I fucked up. Haha
It is a classic. When I say I can’t watch it. I do, knowing I will get scared. My kids grew up with no religion and I heard the tv on late one day. My kid was watching exorcist in the dark at like 2am. Just nuts.

Trilogy or Terror?

Salems Lot?

Famous Vampire Killers.

Or

Wow, never seen Food Of The Gods, I'm on it now!

Love Salem's Lot and Trilogy Of Terror, I bought my wife this T-Shirt, she likes it but has no idea of the relevance
BARLOW-AND-STRAKER-SALEMS-LOT-INSPIRED-FITTED-TSHIRT-BY-LAST-EXIT-TO-NOWHERE-NEWS.jpg

I grew up in a really catholic family so man, I was told that shit could happen if I fucked up. Haha
It is a classic. When I say I can’t watch it. I do, knowing I will get scared. My kids grew up with no religion and I heard the tv on late one day. My kid was watching exorcist in the dark at like 2am. Just nuts.
Same here man, vicious catholic upbringing all the way

I really have a thing for possession type movies now, so I'm not sure I heeded their words enough!

I'm wearing my Evil Dead Boomstick Stout t-shirt at work today
tumblr_mw44ekkzN31rp6w18o1_640.jpg

Wow, never seen Food Of The Gods, I'm on it now!

Love Salem's Lot and Trilogy Of Terror, I bought my wife this T-Shirt, she likes it but has no idea of the relevance
BARLOW-AND-STRAKER-SALEMS-LOT-INSPIRED-FITTED-TSHIRT-BY-LAST-EXIT-TO-NOWHERE-NEWS.jpg
Food of the Gods has Marjoe Gortner in it.

He was some crazy preacher kid in his youth
Then later became a weirdo actor and singer

I personally prefer ghost and zombie movies to slashers. I'm going to skip the obvious ones everyone know like The Ring or 28 days later. Some of my lesser known favorites are.
The Orphanage-Spanish ghost movie, kind of like the babadook, but good
Shutter-Korean horror movie
Pulse-Japanese movie about a ghost in the internet
REC-Found footage zombie movie that takes place in an apartment building
VHS 1 and 2-found footage anthology
Sinister-Fantastic movie starring Ethan Hawke

Great thread I needed this. I never watch horror movies anymore(I detest newer horror movies) but come October its the ONLY thing I watch.

All year ive been collecting movies and saving them for October. This year I'm going for stuff from that epic top 100 countdown that aired on Bravo back in the day. I finally watched Changeling and really fucking loved it. Alice Sweet Alice was pretty good too considering when it was made.

Ive got Duel on my watchlist havent seen that since I was a kid.

Also watching all the Halloween franchise I finished part 3 Saturday, ive always loved that one its pretty trippy.

The best found footage horror to me will always be the "X Cops" episode of X Files where the whole episode is done like an episode of Cops, whole episode is fucking brilliant check it out.

having a drinks, acid & horror movies marathon this weekend w/ a few friends. we broke the lineup into nine different categories for a bit of variety; this is what we got going on:

The Guest
Vampyr
Bay of Blood
Club Dread
The Cremator
My Bloody Valentine
Ghostwatch
Killing Spree
Lifeforce

Back