• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It's great to hear "Luta Livre" in a major world grappling event!

I only ever trained with one guy who claimed LL. He was a fresh blue belt, American guy but he had spent a couple years in Brazil. This was about 2004.

What's the actual difference between the regular bjj and LL? Was it just the early implementation of the leg locks?

What's the actual difference between the regular bjj and LL? Was it just the early implementation of the leg locks?
LL was basically poor kids who couldn't afford the gi. So more leg locks etc.

Luta livre is Brazilian catch-wrestling that adapted to the conditions of Brazil, in essence. Around the 1950's, they stopped including the pin as a means of victory and naturally became more submission oriented. Think of it as catch-wrestling that grew up in Brazil and modified and evolved based on its proximity to BJJ and judo. And even from its early days, it had a major judo and jujutsu influence from guys like Takeo Yano, who trained alongside Tatu, the most famous Brazilian luta livre practitioner.

Luta livre is more about pushing the pace, attacking with submissions from different angles and finishing things if you can. Basically, its really cool.

Traditionally, Luta Livre was no gi while BJJ was almost always gi. Now of course, no-gi BJJ is a thing.

Likewise, as you mentioned, Luta Livre has used leglocks for a long time while BJJ looked down on it. Now, while leglocks are not considered necessarily a traditional staple, they are obviously practiced and many BJJ guys specialize in using them.

For today, because luta livre has such a long history of experimenting and using leglocks, they still can attack them from odd angles and are willing to use riskier techniques to get them. Luta Livre guys are very aggressive and will often go for submissions out of nowhere, not prioritizing positional dominance as much as the average BJJ guy.

As someone mentioned, this makes them similar to many catch wrestlers. Though, modern catch wrestling has more emphasis on wrestling and top game control compared to LL.

In practice, an LL guy can develop his game like a traditional BJJ guy, and vice versa, but that their core philosophy for approaching grappling is still a bit different.

Traditionally, Luta Livre was no gi while BJJ was almost always gi. Now of course, no-gi BJJ is a thing.

Likewise, as you mentioned, Luta Livre has used leglocks for a long time while BJJ looked down on it. Now, while leglocks are not considered necessarily a traditional staple, they are obviously practiced and many BJJ guys specialize in using them.

For today, because luta livre has such a long history of experimenting and using leglocks, they still can attack them from odd angles and are willing to use riskier techniques to get them. Luta Livre guys are very aggressive and will often go for submissions out of nowhere, not prioritizing positional dominance as much as the average BJJ guy.

As someone mentioned, this makes them similar to many catch wrestlers. Though, modern catch wrestling has more emphasis on wrestling and top game control compared to LL.

In practice, an LL guy can develop his game like a traditional BJJ guy, and vice versa, but that their core philosophy for approaching grappling is still a bit different.
Thanks , that's very helpful , going by your
description it turns out I'm a pure Luta livre guy lol

Luta livre is Brazilian catch-wrestling that adapted to the conditions of Brazil, in essence. Around the 1950's, they stopped including the pin as a means of victory and naturally became more submission oriented. Think of it as catch-wrestling that grew up in Brazil and modified and evolved based on its proximity to BJJ and judo. And even from its early days, it had a major judo and jujutsu influence from guys like Takeo Yano, who trained alongside Tatu, the most famous Brazilian luta livre practitioner.

Luta livre is more about pushing the pace, attacking with submissions from different angles and finishing things if you can. Basically, its really cool.
Thank you, that's very informative. That's the essence of grappling , going after submission all the time and attacking from every possible angle

Thank you, that's very informative. That's the essence of grappling , going after submission all the time and attacking from every possible angle
In way, its history is the essence of grappling too; catch-wrestlers came to Brazil, competed with jiu jitsu guys, judoka and each other, trained some of those guys and modified their approach based what was working for them. The Anaconda choke is actually luta livre's gift to BJJ via Milton Vieira. The heel-hook most likely is as well.

Thanks , that's very helpful , going by your
description it turns out I'm a pure Luta livre guy lol
I'm definitely influenced by luta livre, at the very least. Certain entries and techniques I use I got directly from luta livre practitioners. Brigadeiro is one I studied a whole lot directly, as well as Pequeno and his little brother, as well as Renier and really, too many to mention. Actually, Babalu is the guy who I studied to figure out how to transition to leglocks from half-guard way back in the day. Directly studied his stuff, printed it out, took to the gym and rehearsed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lookatmyopinion
Back