It is very easy for UFC fighters to engage in match-fixing; might even be legal

I’m laughing thinking about a fighter with a huge gambling problem that is the favorite but needs money to pay off his bookies so he bets brutal first round KO loss

like he makes extra money for getting taken off on a stretcher. Makes a million for brain damage etc

There has been recent talks about UFC fighters betting on themselves to win a fight, and some that even did it. UFC Fight Night: Justin Jaynes bets on himself vs. Charles Rosa (yahoo.com)

Here's a law review article on potential criminal penalties: Criminalizing Match-Fixing as America Legalizes Sports Gambling (marquette.edu)

The more interesting situation is what happens if a UFC fighter bets on their opponent to win. I do not see any obvious rules/regulation that would prevent this.

There seems to be laws that forbid the bribing of persons to influence the outcome of a sporting event, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of criminal penalties in place that would prevent an UFC fighter from betting on his opponent.

The UFC does have a code of conduct but that doesn't specifically address any situation where a fighter would bet on their opponent (arguably it's conduct that can hurt the reputation of the company, but that's very vague, and applies to so many things).

I think in this hypothetical, you can get away with it. Let's say Fighter A, decides to bet on Fighter B to win the fight by decision.

If confronted and asked Fighter A why did they did; and the reasoning was, Fighter A did not try to intentionally throw the fight, but Fighter A was sure he would lose, because he was injured, he was hurt, and he honestly thought Fighter B was a better fighter.

Fighter A claims he would still fight his heart out but he thinks Fighter B will beat him, and places a huge bet on Fighter B.

Sure, there is a obvious conflict of interest, but I haven't found anything that would make that conflict of interest illegal or make Fighter A subject to criminal/regulatory body fines. At most, they might have breached the code of conduct by the UFC.
UFC's rule of conduct allowed Jon Jones to use Cocaine and nothing happened to him...
Marijuana is strictly forbiden, but cocaine... nothing! (maybe a night at a rehab?)
Just let that sink in...

So yeah, I don't think betting is their biggest problem.

Betting on your opponent is illegal

Betting on yourself is actually legal

What I haven't had answered, is betting on yourself to win by a prop legal? Fighter bets on himself to win by decision, and makes sure to not finish an overmatched opponent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back