• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion It is not bigoted to want a homogenized American culture.

The problem with White Americans is they have been beaten down by our media and academia over the last decades to hate themselves and to be ashamed for their race. It's strange for me to see. My stepson one told me he was ashamed of being White because of the destruction of Native American society and the slavery of Black Americans by European colonizers. I told him to not be ashamed because the Native Americans were killing each other for thousands of years before the Europeans arrived. I also told him that the Brown Ottomans had taken millions of White Europeans as slaves. Yet, to this day he feels ashamed. It's tragic stuff.

The bolded above is such an ill conceived defense of genocide, I don't know why people use it.

The fact that SOME Native Americans had minor skirmishes and wars with each other, where usually only the men participated and suffered the violence, is completely different than wiping out 98% of every living man, woman, and child, and/or herding them into slices of land that nobody else wanted, or were useless resource wise.

And I'm not saying anyone needs to feel ashamed or guilty for what happened to the Native Americans, but for christ's sakes, don't make excuses for it.

When Columbus landed, Natives brought them food and showed them how to survive in North America. Columbus' response to that hospitality was to make a remark about how easy he could subjugate these people (he in fact did take some Native Americans as slaves when he returned to Europe). There's a huge difference between these two attitudes, especially when you mix in Manifest Destiny. But to just excuse what happened to the Native Americans as perfectly ok, on the premise that Native Americans sometimes had beefs with neighboring tribes, is just silly. That's like saying it's perfectly ok for me to come over to your house, enslave you and your brother, shoot your father, and rape your mother, wife, or sister, because other humans have done just as bad to someone else. That's silly, and if we truly conduct ourselves according to your philosophy, we'd be nothing better than animals.

There's literally an American state called New Mexico. Mexican culture (or rather, Mexican American culture) is intrinsic to the Southwest. Good luck getting rid of all those taquerias.

Literally all of the Southwest was Mexico. Colorado, Nevada, California, Arizona, Nuevo Mexuco, Tejas...there's a reason those are all Spanish names. People out here don't even realize this. Dissing Mexican Culture in the half of Mexuco we procured is pretty stupid.

The bolded above is such an ill conceived defense of genocide, I don't know why people use it.

The fact that SOME Native Americans had minor skirmishes and wars with each other, where usually only the men participated and suffered the violence, is completely different than wiping out 98% of every living man, woman, and child, and/or herding them into slices of land that nobody else wanted, or were useless resource wise.

And I'm not saying anyone needs to feel ashamed or guilty for what happened to the Native Americans, but for christ's sakes, don't make excuses for it.

When Columbus landed, Natives brought them food and showed them how to survive in North America. Columbus' response to that hospitality was to make a remark about how easy he could subjugate these people (he in fact did take some Native Americans as slaves when he returned to Europe). There's a huge difference between these two attitudes, especially when you mix in Manifest Destiny. But to just excuse what happened to the Native Americans as perfectly ok, on the premise that Native Americans sometimes had beefs with neighboring tribes, is just silly. That's like saying it's perfectly ok for me to come over to your house, enslave you and your brother, shoot your father, and rape your mother, wife, or sister, because other humans have done just as bad to someone else. That's silly, and if we truly conduct ourselves according to your philosophy, we'd be nothing better than animals.

Not to mention that Native tribes werent wiping each other off the map and then engaging in chattel slavery.

You just said you want to return to a culture 50 years previous to putting a man on the moon and then ended that with asking for a society of many races. I wonder if you know what the culture was like to non whites in the years you are yearning for?

We take the good from the past and leave the bad.
Leave it to Beaver but for all races.

TBH, what is "American Culture"??

to me/for me it's supposed to be about 'freedom'. I'm a metalhead, one of the few among my friends who are all primarily hiphop fans when the vast majority of us aren't even black, we're all mostly mixed - see what I mean?

The republicans are called bigots for wanting this, but I kind of agree with them on this matter despite having liberal views on other issues.

We can be a country of many races, but if those races don't unify towards a strong foundational culture and ethic, it will lead to Balkanization. This is how every large empire ultimately falls; they over expand and have too many conflicting cultures and ideas within it and eventually population and resources will begin dividing the people into various ethnic groups most often based on language and culture.

For this reason, there is nothing wrong with demanding every citizen of this country assimilate into a generic American culture.

what generic culture are you calling for though? should i invest in hot dogs?

GIF-classic-cry-crying-indian-Native-American-sad-tear-GIF.gif
Yeah I wish the haoles who came here simply assimilated but that wasn’t in the cards I guess.

When Americans came here they made it illegal to teach our language or worship our gods.

It’s funny hearing Americans say this stuff because wherever they go they’re the least likely to assimilate.
Literally all of the Southwest was Mexico. Colorado, Nevada, California, Arizona, Nuevo Mexuco, Tejas...there's a reason those are all Spanish names. People out here don't even realize this. Dissing Mexican Culture in the half of Mexuco we procured is pretty stupid.
American culture is taking over someone else’s land and then complaining when they don’t assimilate lol

Western cultures as we've known them are finished. They are being destroyed on purpose. It's OVER!
Try to keep up with what is happening in the world.

I love these threads because they are always based on a complete misunderstanding of America's foundational principles.

America was designed specifically not be homogenized. They didn't want homogeneity. They celebrated differences and wanted people to keep their individual differences culturally...so long as they all followed the law.

A "nation of laws". It meant follow whatever culture you want, so long as you follow the law of the land.

Not to mention that Native tribes werent wiping each other off the map and then engaging in chattel slavery.

? You might want to check your version of history....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_among_Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

The Haida and Tlingit, who lived along Alaska's southeast coast, were traditionally known as fierce warriors and slave-traders, raiding as far as California.[13][14] In their society, slavery was hereditary after slaves were taken as prisoners of war[13][14]—children of slaves were fated to be slaves themselves.[15] Among a few Pacific Northwest tribes, as many as one-fourth of the population were slaves.[13][14] They were typically captured by raids on enemy tribes, or purchased on inter-tribal slave markets. Slaves would sometimes be killed in potlatches, to signify the owners' contempt for property.

[A
potlatch involves giving away or destroying wealth or valuable items in order to demonstrate a leader's wealth and power]

I don't know how you can possibly claim they didn't do chattel slavery......

Chattel slavery means that one person has total ownership of another. There are two basic forms of chattel, domestic chattel, with menial household duties and productive chattel, working in the fields or mines.

If you're born into slavery and your children are born into slavery... its chattel slavery...

Also yes plenty of tribes were wiped off the map by other tribes..........

The Iroquois wiped out the Petun, Neutral, Erie & Susquehannock & primarily caused the Fort Ancients, Mascouten & Manahoac tribes to disappear through their actions during the Beaver Wars. It's up for debate whether the Shawnee or the Iroquois wiped out the Monongahela Culture, since neither tribe seems to remember the nation's existence, today, but archaeology seems to side with the Shawnee theory. The Iroquois also wiped out most of the St. Lawrence Iroquoians just before the French settled Quebec for unknown reasons. The Creek Confederacy wiped out many tribes in Georgia & Florida. The Migmaaq took out the last of the Beothuk.

The Iroquois effectively destroyed several large tribal confederacies, including the Mohicans, Huron (Wyandot), Neutral, Erie, Susquehannock (Conestoga), and northern Algonquins, with the extreme brutality and exterminatory nature of the mode of warfare practised by the Iroquois causing some historians to label these wars as acts of genocide committed by the Iroquois Confederacy.[4] They became dominant in the region and enlarged their territory, realigning the American tribal geography. The Iroquois gained control of the New England frontier and Ohio River valley lands as hunting ground from about 1670 onward.

I'd like to know what "American culture" is supposed to be. Do you mean like fat, southern white Christians and mega churches? Maybe vapid, wealthy Southern California egocentrism? Or maybe the hard nosed New York "I've never left NYC, but we're the only ones with shitty corner stores that sell sandwiches" elitism? Pls confirm.

This is the one that always blows my mind. We literally just added Mexico the nation. The Mexicans who lived there didn't magically disappear. Their culture didn't just end. Half of this country has been Mexican culturally from the very beginning.

This is the one that always blows my mind. We literally just added Mexico the nation. The Mexicans who lived there didn't magically disappear. Their culture didn't just end. Half of this country has been Mexican culturally from the very beginning.

We are Borg, they will be assimilated.

? You might want to check your version of history....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_among_Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

The Haida and Tlingit, who lived along Alaska's southeast coast, were traditionally known as fierce warriors and slave-traders, raiding as far as California.[13][14] In their society, slavery was hereditary after slaves were taken as prisoners of war[13][14]—children of slaves were fated to be slaves themselves.[15] Among a few Pacific Northwest tribes, as many as one-fourth of the population were slaves.[13][14] They were typically captured by raids on enemy tribes, or purchased on inter-tribal slave markets. Slaves would sometimes be killed in potlatches, to signify the owners' contempt for property.

[A
potlatch involves giving away or destroying wealth or valuable items in order to demonstrate a leader's wealth and power]

I don't know how you can possibly claim they didn't do chattel slavery......

Chattel slavery means that one person has total ownership of another. There are two basic forms of chattel, domestic chattel, with menial household duties and productive chattel, working in the fields or mines.

If you're born into slavery and your children are born into slavery... its chattel slavery...

Also yes plenty of tribes were wiped off the map by other tribes..........

The Iroquois wiped out the Petun, Neutral, Erie & Susquehannock & primarily caused the Fort Ancients, Mascouten & Manahoac tribes to disappear through their actions during the Beaver Wars. It's up for debate whether the Shawnee or the Iroquois wiped out the Monongahela Culture, since neither tribe seems to remember the nation's existence, today, but archaeology seems to side with the Shawnee theory. The Iroquois also wiped out most of the St. Lawrence Iroquoians just before the French settled Quebec for unknown reasons. The Creek Confederacy wiped out many tribes in Georgia & Florida. The Migmaaq took out the last of the Beothuk.

The Iroquois effectively destroyed several large tribal confederacies, including the Mohicans, Huron (Wyandot), Neutral, Erie, Susquehannock (Conestoga), and northern Algonquins, with the extreme brutality and exterminatory nature of the mode of warfare practised by the Iroquois causing some historians to label these wars as acts of genocide committed by the Iroquois Confederacy.[4] They became dominant in the region and enlarged their territory, realigning the American tribal geography. The Iroquois gained control of the New England frontier and Ohio River valley lands as hunting ground from about 1670 onward.

im glad somebody posted this, we dont need to mythologize native americans in order to see clearly that columbus was a cunt and that we did wrong by the natives.

The republicans are called bigots for wanting this, but I kind of agree with them on this matter despite having liberal views on other issues.

We can be a country of many races, but if those races don't unify towards a strong foundational culture and ethic, it will lead to Balkanization. This is how every large empire ultimately falls; they over expand and have too many conflicting cultures and ideas within it and eventually population and resources will begin dividing the people into various ethnic groups most often based on language and culture.

For this reason, there is nothing wrong with demanding every citizen of this country assimilate into a generic American culture.

You think the millions of Germans, Scandinavians, Irish, Italians, Chinese, and Japanese immigrants that came to the U.S. in the late 1800s and early 1900s shared a homogenized culture? The U.S. has been a melting pot for essentially its entire history.

What do we mean by “generic American culture” exactly?
I assume OP thinks his picture would be next to the definition.
American culture is capitalism. We have problems because capitalism is not working out so well for lots of people, and that includes people from all cultures. It's rich vs poor, not a culture war.

Back