It’s time to retire holly holm

She has no choice left. Even if she wants a title shot, she won't get it till late 2023 in the most optimistic scenario and she would be over 41 and her striking is atrocious. She does nothing, but punch air. The wall and stall method as the judges sent a clear message, won't make her a champion. She also wants to retire right after she gets the belt, which is against UFC guideline of defending at least once

Whenever I have something negative to say about Holly I just think of this piece of art and I'm suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude. Holy bless.

HomelyEvergreenKarakul-size_restricted.gif
I would much rather watch Ronda's fights than Holly's fights.

you make it sound like dozens of people KO'd Ronda

Ronda had a very short career where she fought mostly grapplers who weren't intelligent enough to avoid her clinch game. Anyone who doesn't understand the importance of gameplans should should go back and watch Ronda's entire career. It clocks in a little over half a hour.

What you'll find is that Bethe Correia was the first fighter to actually try avoiding clinching with Ronda. She ended up getting knocked out because she wasn't very good, but she had the right gameplan. Every previous opponent made no effort to avoid the clinch. Then Holly and Nunes took Bethe's gameplan and were just good enough fighters to implement the strategy and expose Ronda's complete lack of striking defense.

Ronda's entire career is the perfect example of how fucking important having the right strategy and fight IQ is. Both Holly and Nunes fought like they wanted no parts of clinching with Ronda, and it shows how weak wmma was back then that it took 12 finishes and 9 subs for someone to finally fight her intelligently. If I recall correctly Ronda once said that she didn't go into fights with a specific gameplan and just did what came naturally. It's extremely impressive that she dominated the sport with pure athleticism and training a single submission. It reminds me of this Bruce Lee quote:

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Ronda had a very short career where she fought mostly grapplers who weren't intelligent enough to avoid her clinch game. Anyone who doesn't understand the importance of gameplans should should go back and watch Ronda's entire career. It clocks in a little over half a hour.

What you'll find is that Bethe Correia was the first fighter to actually try avoiding clinching with Ronda. She ended up getting knocked out because she wasn't very good, but she had the right gameplan. Every previous opponent made no effort to avoid the clinch. Then Holly and Nunes took Bethe's gameplan and were just good enough fighters to implement the strategy and expose Ronda's complete lack of striking defense.

Ronda's entire career is the perfect example of how fucking important having the right strategy and fight IQ is. Both Holly and Nunes fought like they wanted no parts of clinching with Ronda, and it shows how weak wmma was back then that it took 12 finishes and 9 subs for someone to finally fight her intelligently. If I recall correctly Ronda once said that she didn't go into fights with a specific gameplan and just did what came naturally. It's extremely impressive that she dominated the sport with pure athleticism and training a single submission. It reminds me of this Bruce Lee quote:

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

ok, i don't know how come you're telling this to me though.

all i pointed out was that only 2 people KO'd her. and one ended up being the GOAT. it's also not so easy to avoid her clinch. that's why her fights lasted only seconds because she wouldn't allow the opponent to gather themselves. she put it on them and before they knew it, it was over.

Holly and Amanda beat her mostly because they were athletic enough to get away from her. all the other girls weren't. none of them would've survived even if they could get away from her clinch because they didn't have skills else where to capitalize on it. Holly and Amanda both lost to girls Ronda destroyed. styles make fights.

Her beatin Honda was legendary stuff for the following reasons:

1. She beat a fighter who was waaaaaay too arrogant. Honda said in an interview prior to the fight she wanted to fight 4 more times and retire undefeated.

2. The sudden influx of MMA fans who didn't know shit about the sport. Whatever the stupid popular video site was back then that only allowed like 15 seconds clips. Countless people rambling on about "Honda Vs Holly I'll post the entire video on [video site] because she's going to finish Holly in under 15 seconds"

Nah she was washed up and fame got to her head by the time she lost. She clearly overlooked Holm and clearly didn’t want to be there against Nunes. Pre fame Ronda judo slams them and wins.

People might disagree but I certainly don't.

Ronda became her own biggest fan, Edmund convinced her she could box.

The worst thing that ever happened to her was beating Bethe the way she did, Gave her the illusion she was a good striker.

I still think earlier Ronda beats pretty much anyone solely for the difference between her judo skills and everyone else's.

When she realized Holly was the better boxer, she panicked and even her attempts of takedowns had zero confidence.

I knew she had no chance against Nunes the second the fight started, she fought cleared and had zero confidence.

If she stuck with what made her successful, I don't think any woman could stop it.

In short, it was her mental game post fame (surrounded by yes men) that was her downfall.

Even her own mother called it out before she had ever lost, or even looked to be in any strife.

People's dislike for her clouds their judgement on her real ability.

She can get the credit for the Rousey KO and also be a little “behind” the modern day class…

I’m confused by this whole “it was a fluke” chat…

Wasn’t Megan Anderson the next big thing?

Didn’t GDR “knock out a man”?

Wasn’t Aldana the next era of WMMA “striking”?

Not saying Holly is some amazing fighter, but she did pretty well for an older woman who had ZERO grappling prior to her transition.

Boring, sure. But she did alright man…
yeah and shes only lost to people who have the belt or were the champ, so that says a lot. one could say she has an aldo esque resume for womens mma. Like Pennington is 5-1 in her last 6,Aldan 4-2, with her other loss to Pennington.

ok, i don't know how come you're telling this to me though.

all i pointed out was that only 2 people KO'd her. and one ended up being the GOAT. it's also not so easy to avoid her clinch. that's why her fights lasted only seconds because she wouldn't allow the opponent to gather themselves. she put it on them and before they knew it, it was over.

Holly and Amanda beat her mostly because they were athletic enough to get away from her. all the other girls weren't. none of them would've survived even if they could get away from her clinch because they didn't have skills else where to capitalize on it. Holly and Amanda both lost to girls Ronda destroyed. styles make fights.

Again, only one of Ronda's wins actually attempted to avoid her clinch and it was a shitty fighter. Ronda's success shows how important gameplanning is.

The reason Ronda beat Tate twice was because Tate kept initiating grappling with her. Compare that to the Holly/Tate fight where Tate played it safe defensively and timed her takedowns, an ability Ronda never had.

Again, only one of Ronda's wins actually attempted to avoid her clinch and it was a shitty fighter. Ronda's success shows how important gameplanning is.

The reason Ronda beat Tate twice was because Tate kept initiating grappling with her. Compare that to the Holly/Tate fight where Tate played it safe defensively and timed her takedowns, an ability Ronda never had.

and i'm telling you Ronda was too big, too fast, and too athletic for any of those other women to escape. like you just said, the one who tried to avoid it still lost. Miesha initiated the grappling because she wasn't comfortable striking with Ronda because of Ronda's power and aggression.

you're also leaving big reasons Amanda and Holly beat her. they're both big, they're both athletic, and they both have power. those are 3 things the other women Ronda fought DID NOT have. Holly's footwork alone is on another level than any of the women Ronda fought before her which is how she got away from Ronda so easily, and even when Ronda DID clinch her Holly was able to overpower her and get away. none of those other women would be able to do that to Ronda even if they tried. another thing is Ronda has big power, she even rocked Holly in their fight.

you can gameplan all you want but if you don't have the means to apply the gameplan, it'll never work. those women she fought were fucked no matter what. people don't want to admit but Ronda is a beast of a woman physically.

Nah she was washed up and fame got to her head by the time she lost. She clearly overlooked Holm and clearly didn’t want to be there against Nunes. Pre fame Ronda judo slams them and wins.

You *almost* got a like from me, my finger was hovering over the button, but then you had to go and add that last sentence :(

Holly and Weidman were both created solely to beat unbeatable UFC fighters. Once that was done their life purpose was served, and they've been just sort of existing in a directionless manner since.

Watching her box in MMA I do wonder how she was boxing world champion! She can barely throw a punch.

She is really good at jerky jerky movements though.

I still remember fondly of the time GDR range her bell after the bell. Thanks for that.

and i'm telling you Ronda was too big, too fast, and too athletic for any of those other women to escape. like you just said, the one who tried to avoid it still lost. Miesha initiated the grappling because she wasn't comfortable striking with Ronda because of Ronda's power and aggression.

you're also leaving big reasons Amanda and Holly beat her. they're both big, they're both athletic, and they both have power. those are 3 things the other women Ronda fought DID NOT have. Holly's footwork alone is on another level than any of the women Ronda fought before her which is how she got away from Ronda so easily, and even when Ronda DID clinch her Holly was able to overpower her and get away. none of those other women would be able to do that to Ronda even if they tried. another thing is Ronda has big power, she even rocked Holly in their fight.

you can gameplan all you want but if you don't have the means to apply the gameplan, it'll never work. those women she fought were fucked no matter what. people don't want to admit but Ronda is a beast of a woman physically.

You could've just said Ronda was fighting soccer moms and saved so much finger muscle energy :p Seriously, the level of Ronda's "competition" was a joke. And even THEN Carmouche had her in that RNC but somehow managed to screw it up. Tate was her only previous opponent slightly above the average soccer mom who strikes pads at the local gym on the weekends and thinks that makes her a badass who can physically destroy any man she chooses. Even *I'm* grateful we never saw Ronda VS Shevchenko, that would've been snuff film-level abuse.

Now this guy, this guy gets it <[analyzed}>

It still blows my mind how many of her opponents somehow decided to try the exact same thing that failed spectacularly for all her other opponents.

Back