Israel is fantastic... and yet overrated

Its crazy that he, and his fans thought he could move up to LHW and beat Jan. Very Overrated indeed.

To be fair, that was a competitive fight. The latter rounds were less so, but it wasn't a blowout.

I personally enjoy his style a great deal, and obviously know he is a fantastic fighter. But he also has many limitations for a champion in this age of MMA, both offensively and defensively. Offensively, he is a very polished striker, but he relies very heavily on counter punching. When his opponents are not sloppy and do not give him easily countered shots, he often gets drawn into stalemates where he wins by a sliver or not, but doesn't really take off. And his grappling offensive is, well, basically nil.

Defensively, while he clearly continues to work on his takedown defense, though it still has some holes, and while he got back to his feet against Vettori, I wonder what a more seasoned pressure wrestler would do if he grabs a hold of him (someone like Kennedy more than Romero, who relies more on his punches). His guard seemed a little sloppy and loose, though he is very sleazy and moves very well. In this regard he doesn't resemble Anderson, who while being vulnerable to the takedown, had some very legit jitz to go from his back which got him out of some important pickles (Chael I).

Izzy's best talents are obvious: he is superlatively coordinated, lanky, accurate, fast, has great conditioning, defense. But he is also has many, many limitations, and is just not that well rounded.
Hes the champion/ best in the division. all the rest is irrelevant

This thread is about Adesanya not Mousasi. One is a multiple time defending UFC champion, the other is fighting life and death in Bellator when he's not picking on WW's.
Still overrated, honey.

Don't try to argue any arbitrary point for no reason. This is not a competition.

It was not an argument, it was communication, and I am not a troll whom tries to compete with each other here. No two people communicate the same way.

The whole topic is interpretation because how one rates depends on that, how they rate. You get legit analysis vs trolls that scream like cheerleaders every time their fighter wins. The problem with rating someone is the time they are in. I could say a baseball player from the 1910 sucked and would not do well now. Well, he was good at his time but the learning curve has passed him by now. So it ends up accepting other factors to consider them the best for their time.

My point is that, what we call fantastic or not, or what we call overrated or not, depends on how we gauge it. Fantastic is the top of the line ...so the best of the best. I would put Izzy in that Category but time will tell. If people say he is better than AS I would say he is overrated.

The trolls will do that, say their fighter is better than he is. Right now, I see Izzy as one of the best ever at MW.But not at the caliber of AS in his prime. With his lost at LHW I do not really want to compare him to that division fighters. I don't think there is a need. But Izzy has room to develop imo and maybe something to look at later.

I personally enjoy his style a great deal, and obviously know he is a fantastic fighter. But he also has many limitations for a champion in this age of MMA, both offensively and defensively. Offensively, he is a very polished striker, but he relies very heavily on counter punching. When his opponents are not sloppy and do not give him easily countered shots, he often gets drawn into stalemates where he wins by a sliver or not, but doesn't really take off. And his grappling offensive is, well, basically nil.

Defensively, while he clearly continues to work on his takedown defense, though it still has some holes, and while he got back to his feet against Vettori, I wonder what a more seasoned pressure wrestler would do if he grabs a hold of him (someone like Kennedy more than Romero, who relies more on his punches). His guard seemed a little sloppy and loose, though he is very sleazy and moves very well. In this regard he doesn't resemble Anderson, who while being vulnerable to the takedown, had some very legit jitz to go from his back which got him out of some important pickles (Chael I).

Izzy's best talents are obvious: he is superlatively coordinated, lanky, accurate, fast, has great conditioning, defense. But he is also has many, many limitations, and is just not that well rounded.
He has a lot of amazing talents, see video below.
israelades.gif

I think his skillset is perfect for todays MW's

it's funny i feel like the last batch of MWS (machida, rockhold, weidman, vitor, mousasi) would do better than the current crop (vettori, whittaker, brunson, costa, hermanson)

I think his skillset is perfect for todays MW's

it's funny i feel like the last batch of MWS (machida, rockhold, weidman, vitor, mousasi) would do better than the current crop (vettori, whittaker, brunson, costa, hermanson)
That's not funny. That's because the last batch of MWs were superior to current MWs

I don't think he's overrated, considering that like 50% of sherdog feels the urge to make threads about how overrated he is continuously.

People need to realize that Israel's competition is in fact better than Anderson Silva's and stop it with the nostalgia.

Nostalgia bias is horrible in all sports but for some reason even worse in MMA; some of the all time greats who get sucked off here on the regular wouldn't even be ranked if they were 155ers, for example.

He fought a perfect fight against Costa

his mediocre performances have all come against opponents where he likely spent most of his camp preparing for the wrestling/ grappling and as a result you’re seeing a far less polished version of his striking potential.

although you can definitely see that his boxing is the least confident aspect of his striking game overall. He’s been knocked out before so probably very hesitant of overextending / making any small mistakes and it can make him a bit gun shy against fighters who have power. (Yoel, Jan)

Against Vettori I think he just spent the entire camp drilling wrestling / jiu jitu, scrambles, escapes and a lot less on his striking. Not unlike Anderson Silva’s mediocre performance against Maia.

Whittaker would make Mousasi look like a can, never mind would Adesanya would do to him.
Rob is the easiest fight for Mousasi, he even said that in a video lmao

What is Rob gonna do against Moose? Getting KTFO like he does always when he fights a top level striker

Rob is great against grapplers but come on against strikers he's average as fuck

A mediocre grappler like Vettori that lost to Shoeface and went to draw with Omari took Israel down a couple of times and even took his back. Even past prime Weidman beat Omari

Back