Israel Adesanya in the LHW division: How well does he do?

Agreed on all counts, though I think the "he's so skinny!" angle is being overplayed by a few people on here. As neat as it would be to see him at 205 against some of those guys, I wouldn't want him to even consider it unless he manages to defend 185 against all the contenders/big names (Romero, Costa, Cannonier, Till, etc.) at least once.
At least in kickboxing he's competed against much bigger guys, if i remember correctly, but i think that size isn't as much of a problem in striking, but moreso in grappling.
Thing is, that Adesanya (in my opinion) fits middleweight perfectly; nearly doesn't have to cut weight and is skinny enough to still pack some pounds of muscle on, if needed.
He seemed to be very strong for his frame as well, so yeah, i see where you're coming from.

Just one more thing about his size: strength has generally to do with the amount of muscle one can put on/has on one's frame, and the bigger the circumference of the bones (and therefore joints) is, the more muscle mass one has naturally, assuming all other things are equal.
In that regard, Adesanya is pretty small boned, which makes everything he does even more impressive in my opinion, although it might be true that, as you say, it's a bit overplayed.
127_Israel_Adesanya_vs_Marvin_Vettori.0.0.jpg

Can't wait for his fight against Romero and hopefully Costa, Cannonier, etc. after. Big, big fan of him.

Let him defend his belt at least 3x before we start thinking of him moving up weight. And if he still MW champion and he moves up. He'll be fighting Jon Jones for a super fight. None of those other guys.

I think GenderBender beats most of those guys, aside from DC, Gus, and Jones.

Tex gives him issues as well. He's too light for LHW for his skills to show through atm.

Teri Gender Bender?

Reyes, santos, volkan, rakic all beat him or at least push him to his limits imo

Reyes, santos, volkan, rakic all beat him or at least push him to his limits imo
I think very highly of Reyes, with that said Israel is much more experienced than him in pretty much every major facet of the game. LOL at the rest of the guys. Santos would get KOed BAD!!! He barely survived Manuwa. Jones and DC are the only guys I see being favorites and DC's clock is ticking.

I think very highly of Reyes, with that said Israel is much more experienced than him in pretty much every major facet of the game. LOL at the rest of the guys. Santos would get KOed BAD!!! He barely survived Manuwa. Jones and DC are the only guys I see being favorites and DC's clock is ticking.
Ah man you again. I figured you'd be the first one to defend Israel. Lol. But it's all good. Lol at volkan? Are you trolling me? I'm definitely being trolled here. Volkan had excellent striking, a power advantage over Israel, a wrestling one if he so decides to take it there, etc. Plus he's also a kickboxer. Not adesanha caliber but he's a kickboxer by trade, too. He'll be a problem. Rakic... His strikes go kabloowey every time he lands. Idk but volkan and reyes I'm confident would beat him up. Didn't mention Corey Anderson but... IF he takes him down... Goodnight Irene. Don't have much faith in glover, Smith, etc. I think blachowicz would be a good one too. These aren't middleweights, man. He'll get fucked up a little bit along the way.

Ah man you again. I figured you'd be the first one to defend Israel. Lol. But it's all good. Lol at volkan? Are you trolling me? I'm definitely being trolled here. Volkan had excellent striking, a power advantage over Israel, a wrestling one if he so decides to take it there, etc. Plus he's also a kickboxer. Not adesanha caliber but he's a kickboxer by trade, too. He'll be a problem. Rakic... His strikes go kabloowey every time he lands. Idk but volkan and reyes I'm confident would beat him up. Didn't mention Corey Anderson but... IF he takes him down... Goodnight Irene. Don't have much faith in glover, Smith, etc. I think blachowicz would be a good one too. These aren't middleweights, man. He'll get fucked up a little bit along the way.
Use your eyes my friend. Volkan is too slow, too sloppy, and too stiff. Israel would toy with him. Where is your confidence coming from??? You use the term "excellent striking" quite loosely.

Like I said I'm high on Reyes but as of now I believe Israel skills are more proven. Still Reyes is as dangerous as anyone IMO. It's just that his game is striking and Israel is 1000 times more experienced in Reyes strongest weapon.

No one will book Corey vs Adesanya so that's a moot point lol.

I personally think Adesanya is levels better than all the strikers at LHW. The wrestlers are the rap threat. I don’t see how he gets past Corey Anderson

Easily top 3 LHW

No elite wrestlers at 205 since DC is at heavyweight. Brunson and Gastelum never came close to taking or keeping him down.

lol, he may seem skinny, but hes a big guy, tall, glimpsing, and when you shake his hand and see how calloused yup his knuckles are its kinda scary

I'd want to see him fight Rumble, but that'll never happen.
There's a video of them sparing on yt cos rumble brought him in for the JBJ camp

Israel is unstoppable right now. He's the future of the MMA and when he clears out middleweight and destroys Jones he will easily go down as the greatest to ever do it
i dont even need to bold and underline any of this.

this whole fucking statement is pure lol.

<17><17><17>

At least in kickboxing he's competed against much bigger guys, if i remember correctly, but i think that size isn't as much of a problem in striking, but moreso in grappling.
Thing is, that Adesanya (in my opinion) fits middleweight perfectly; nearly doesn't have to cut weight and is skinny enough to still pack some pounds of muscle on, if needed.
He seemed to be very strong for his frame as well, so yeah, i see where you're coming from.

Just one more thing about his size: strength has generally to do with the amount of muscle one can put on/has on one's frame, and the bigger the circumference of the bones (and therefore joints) is, the more muscle mass one has naturally, assuming all other things are equal.
In that regard, Adesanya is pretty small boned, which makes everything he does even more impressive in my opinion, although it might be true that, as you say, it's a bit overplayed.
Can't wait for his fight against Romero and hopefully Costa, Cannonier, etc. after. Big, big fan of him.

he fought fat unathletich HW kickboxers.

long arms in clinch >>>>>>>>>>>>>> short arms

he would lose his biggest advantage, but LHW is even more worse than MW.

i think he does actually really well win against everyone except jones and i see him having 50% chance against reyes DC and walker

I’ll favor him against guys like Reyes and Oezdemir or anyone that likes to stand and bang

he fought fat unathletich HW kickboxers.

long arms in clinch >>>>>>>>>>>>>> short arms

he would lose his biggest advantage, but LHW is even more worse than MW.
With 6'4"/193cm height and 80"/203cm reach hed still be amongst the rangiest guys at light heavyweight, although he'd have less of an advantage.

Then again, the guys are slower there and the division isn't stacked, as you've noted.
I'd say though that middleweight is not a shitty division, it's actually quite good, even if it naturally falls short in comparison to welter- light- and as of today featherweight, in terms of talentpool.

Back