ISO MT and/or MMA Schools in Queens, NY and or LI

karateka666

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey NY'ers does anyone know of any Muay Thai school in or around Southern Queens or Long Island? I know of a two in Astoria and a couple of other ones around other parts of Queens. Also does anyone one know of any MMA Stand-up/grappling places in the general area. By the way, what is the going rate in this area?

KarateKa666

Bump.

Try searching - I know there have been threads on this.

I hope that I am not being offensive, but I did try a search for muay thai and NY and couldn't find anything. Not to say that it isn't out there maybe I just didn't see it. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of some place that might not be that well known.

--KarateKa666

Ronin Athletics is in Manhattan i think they charge somewhere between 100-150 per month.
Theres also a great school in Nassau called Evolution Combat Club. try googling them, they may have sites with more info.

I checked out Ronin sites, because I am gogling every site since I moved back to NYC, hs price is 130 month which is cheap compard to other schools in NYC, but I feel that the training is alot for the reason he is a Purple belt under SBG in Brazilian jujitsu so I feel weird paying someone so much to train when there a purple belt when if I pay 140 month I could train 2x week a machado, it's my feeling

Thanks for the info. I saw their sight before, but didn't know too much about them or knew that they were that close.

-KarateKa666

p.s.

Does anyone know anything about Progressive Martial Arts on Horace Harding? Prices?

thnx in advanced

karateka666 said:
Thanks for the info. I saw their sight before, but didn't know too much about them or knew that they were that close.

-KarateKa666

p.s.

Does anyone know anything about Progressive Martial Arts on Horace Harding? Prices?

thnx in advanced
Im thinkning of goin there soon cuz when i move,, I going to live like 3 blocks away lol. Sometime dis winter probably.

see my review of the gym in the MMA forum under "Moti Horenstein rip off"

thaiking said:
see my review of the gym in the MMA forum under "Moti Horenstein rip off"
I finally got a chance to read the review. Those are some steep prices. Is there any MMA schools that don't have contracts? Are there any that are bargains? I mean I would think their would be one or two MMA schools for cheap bastards...

Karateka666

Extreme Lacosta teaches Muay Thai in that area...I don't like the way he behaves towards his fighters at fights, but other's may like that. I don't know anything about him, but I have seen some good fighters from his gym in local MT events

I hear extemem is a good trainer, but is background I hear is very kung-fu and a lot of people tell me it shows in his training. It is what I heard I cannot say it is tue.

chlorox said:
Extreme Lacosta teaches Muay Thai in that area...I don't like the way he behaves towards his fighters at fights, but other's may like that. I don't know anything about him, but I have seen some good fighters from his gym in local MT events
How does he behave towards his fighters?

Cant tell you bro I justheard from people tha trained a bit with him that he is kung fu based.

karateka666

where do you work security as a bouncer? You know any places hiring any bouncers

thaiking said:
karateka666

where do you work security as a bouncer? You know any places hiring any bouncers
I will pm you the info a little later today. I am kind of nervous about just posting it here.

KarateKa666

Note: I am not posting this as an advertisement and only use this tone in homage to Adam Sessler of 'X-Play' fame and his 'Cheap Bastard' Segment. I encourage others to post their 'Cheap Bastard' training secrets and spots and encourage anyone and everyone who does check this place out to right a review since I do not profit off of the success or failure of this establishment at all. I just wanted to share

On the way home driving I was thinking does every school tie you in to a contract? Do we have to put off getting ready to do MMA because of the $150+/mon (and lets not forget hidden fees)? Then I remembered a school that I trained at in LI when I got laid off and had alot of free time and little money. I forgot where it was but it was a judo club called Waseda (named after the university in Japan). While there weren't alot of members there and many of them were much older, they charged $150 for three months. Yes thats right $150 for three months which breaks down to a $50/ month (that is an unheard of price). No contracts, and no hidden fees unless you call buying a new gi (if you don't have one) a hidden fee. The reasoning behind it was that they were trying to bring new blood (pun unintended) into the school. Classes where 3x/week and each class was around 2 hrs long. Class included warm ups, throwing drills, ground work drills, newaza (some ground sparring) and randori at the very end. The teachers there nice and very courteous and pretty opneminded (for example when this bjj guy came in and was demonstrating a bicep slicer one of the instructors told every "Hey, everyone come over here, you got to see this!" ). While there weren't alot of younger competitors to test your skill against there were alot of older experienced guys to gleen some knowledge off of. Also they were very safety oriented

So if you are looking for a place that will teach you how to fight in the cage or win in submission wrestling than go down the road and shell out the bucks for Rodrigo Gracie. If on the other hand you are looking to pick up the basics of ground works and learn a few throws and you don't have alot of cash Waseda might be the club for you.

By the way, besides training there for about three months and really when I think about maybe training there again, I don't really have any affiliation w/ this school such that I would profit off any of you going there.

Sincerely,
Karateka666 -a cheap bastard

Well I just came back from Gene Dunn's gym in Broklyn called "Brooklyn Brazilian Jujitsu" The gym seems really good but the probem is it is contract a contractprice range I was tld was 150-200 month too far off from what I am looking for to train. I dont mind paying 150 but not a to a purple belt instructor, but he will get his brown belt soon from Renzo I was told. The Thai Boxing instructor is very very knowledgeable but for me the class is 2 years behind my level this is what he told me from his mouth it is still in the begining stages because no one has muay thai experiance so it might be to slow for me. If you got the money and the time to commit to a contract it is a great gym, but for me wher i attend school,and work 2 jobs I cannot commit to a contract. and to ay 150 or 200 month for 2x and maybe once a week is too much for me. I can not knock the school down it is new and growing excellant mat space nice facility, but again I would much rather pay Renzo 150 or 200 MONTH....

Back