Isn't Clint Hester supposed to be a striker?

MustangSally

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
From watching TUF and his first couple of fights in the ufc I always thought Hester was a guy who's strength was striking on the feet. However, in his last two fights he's been fighting like a someone who's terrified to stand and trade and desperate to take the fight to the ground. What happened?

Pretty frustrating to watch. I liked his fighting style on TUF, and thought he would have a decent career, but something changed after a that SD and L. I hope he can bounce back.

Yeah I thought it was like seeing a different fighter alltogether. In TUF he avoided the ground as much as he could...

He badly needs a new camp. He has regressed as a fighter and his game plans going into fights are confusing. He'd flourish at a camp like Jackson's where he could polish his striking and work on defensive wrestling. Those guys - on the whole - all keep a great gas tank too.

It's all about styles. Vitor Miranda is a problem on the feet. I was pleasantly surprised to see Hester trying to use his dynamic and explosive athleticism to try to grind it out on the mat. He was just.outgunned anyway.

Miranda is a good muy thai guy, but Clint is a good striker in how own right. You'd think he would have understood after getting thoroughly outclassed after initiating grappling exchanges in the first round that he needed to switch it up. In the brief moment the two were striking together, Clint was having much more success than when he was attempting sloppy, telegraphed takedowns.

Call me crazy but I though he would have won the fight if he keep it standing. He was winning all the exchanges IMO.

Plus Miranda striking is really overrated.

His corner should be shot after that, Clint was landing his jab and cross nicely and getting absolutely mauled on the ground in the first round. Why the hell he came out in the 2nd round still trying to grapple.. I mean, wtf? That was so frustrating to watch.

Back