• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Islam Makhachev reacts to UFC ranking Jon Jones as the No. 1 p4p. "This is bullsh****

That’s a hell of a win. But Jon decimating Shogun was pretty incredible. I would say beating DC and Glover who won like 20+ in a row and a few other fights > Charles. But Charles is incredible right now and I hope what he was saying is true that he was having an off night and can do better. Islam beating him is Islams biggest moment by far.
Oh no, for sure I agree JJ has a much better resume than both of them. I'm not saying he doesn't. I'm just responding to what you said about Islam not having any win that comes close to JJ finishing Gane. I'd actually argue Islam's win over Charles is more impressive than Jon's over Gane. Simply because Charles is a much more complete fighter than Gane with much better ground game than him too. Again, not saying JJ's win isn't a good one, just that Islams was better.

Jones i guess go lt extra credit for moving up a weight class and making it look easy.

Islam went life and death with a smaller guy.

He won fairly comfortably and Volk is naturally bigger.

That would mean Dominick Reyes is Jan Blachowicz's son, who is Glover Teixeira's son, who is Jon Jones' son. So Jon Jones is his own great great grandfather
I know places when people are their own brother, cousin, father and son, usually with supernumerary fingers. Some even are a second hypothetical self

Well technically he has a point....

If his fight against Volk was for the p4p no1 spot and he won, how does JBJ get it?
Despite everything Jones has done, including the long pause, if we stick to MMA, it's fair to take all his fights into account. I know about the doping, which does tarnish his record ; maybe he shouldn't be in the p4p rankings, or fight in the ufc anymore, if we think the offense was too serious. But if he was "rehabilitated", Jones' ranking is deserved.

The problem is more, if the Volk fight was tacitly for the p4p #1, then maybe Islam should've got it, be it for one month. My understanding of the whole thing is : Volk was #1, a MUCH deserved ranking before the fight, and despite the loss, he did a marvelous job (in a weight class above his own) , and a close decision win in those conditions was maybe not enough for Islam to claim the #1.

I think that "fighting for the #1 P4P" thing was more a storytelling trick, and not an actual, serious thing, official promise, like the BMF belt ! :D

the whole thing is : Volk was #1, a MUCH deserved ranking before the fight, and despite the loss, he did a marvelous job (in a weight class above his own) , and a close decision win in those conditions was maybe not enough for Islam to claim the #1.

I think that "fighting for the #1 P4P" thing was more a storytelling trick, and not an actual, serious thing, official promise, like the BMF belt ! :D

It all went from "He will panic after 2min on the ground" to "tHe FiGhT wAs NoT cOnTrOvErSiAl, He MoSt SuReLy WoN 3 oUt Of 5 AnD vOlK iS sOoOo GoOd!"....

I dont see how you put Islam above Jon Jones in the P4P ranking.

Islam has a good streak at LW before capturing the belt but that was mainly against non-elite guys. Then he had two amazing wins, but one of those was a hard fought decision against Volk who is a 145er.

Then you have Jones who was champ at the age of 23, and for the last decade has fought nothing but title contenders and has been racking up wins against guys like:

Bader
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Gus x2
Rashad
Glover
Vitor
DC x2!!!!!!!!!!!

Then he makes his HW debut against Gane who only had a razor-thin decision loss against Ngannou, and subs him with ease in like one minute.

I just dont see how an objective observer could honestly say “yeah Islam deserves the #1 spot over Jon”

<Neil01>

I dont see how you put Islam above Jon Jones in the P4P ranking.

Islam has a good streak at LW before capturing the belt but that was mainly against non-elite guys. Then he had two amazing wins, but one of those was a hard fought decision against Volk who is a 145er.

Then you have Jones who was champ at the age of 23, and for the last decade has fought nothing but title contenders and has been racking up wins against guys like:

Bader
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Gus x2
Rashad
Glover
Vitor
DC x2!!!!!!!!!!!

Then he makes his HW debut against Gane who only had a razor-thin decision loss against Ngannou, and subs him with ease in like one minute.

I just dont see how an objective observer could honestly say “yeah Islam deserves the #1 spot over Jon”

<Neil01>
I am guessing the only way they see Islam as no. 1 is if they count just the recent years, where Jones was inactive and only had 1 fight in years. That resume is pretty untouchable

I am guessing the only way they see Islam as no. 1 is if they count just the recent years, where Jones was inactive and only had 1 fight in years. That resume is pretty untouchable

Yeah I guess if you only count the last couple of years its a no-brainer, but I dont see why just because something happened a while ago it suddenly shouldnt count anymore, especially when Jon hasnt lost a fight since those wins.

the champ at 145 is "naturally bigger" than the champ at 155, despite being significantly shorter?

lol wtf
if you actually knew anything about Volk, youd know that he was once 200+ pounds while playing rubgy. the guy didnt start his career out at 145. years and years of weight cutting got his body to where it is now. he may not be taller, but he is broader and stockier than Islam. Volk could very easily compete at 170, he would just be short for the division.

if you actually knew anything about Volk, youd know that he was once 200+ pounds while playing rubgy. the guy didnt start his career out at 145. years and years of weight cutting got his body to where it is now. he may not be taller, but he is broader and stockier than Islam. Volk could very easily compete at 170, he would just be short for the division.

Just to clarify, the guy who is short for 145 is "bigger" than the guy who has to use an IV to rehydrate for 155 and is significantly taller.

Is that your opinion?

Just to clarify, the guy who is short for 145 is "bigger" than the guy who has to use an IV to rehydrate for 155 and is significantly taller.

Is that your opinion?
Haha, I said it somewhere else here that IVlam and his fanatics, just somehow have different logics than everybody else.

Is that your opinion?
broader, stockier, but not taller. you seem fixated on height as if thats the only factor that makes someone bigger. has Islam ever weighed 200+ pounds in his life? if he hasnt, then yeah, Alex naturally has a larger frame capable of carrying more weight than Islam does. if he has, then that just proves Alex and Islam are naturally capable of being similar sizes.

Haha, I said it somewhere else here that IVlam and his fanatics, just somehow have different logics than everybody else.
not an Islam fanboy but good to know im talking to two butthurt Volk fanboys. the IV issue isnt even an issue, nothing came from the allegations because Islam was not found to be in violation of anything. no credible evidence was put forward. and no, a tweet from Ali is not credible evidence. go cry in the corner with Dan Hooker.

Alex naturally has a larger frame capable of carrying more weight than Islam does. if he has, then that just proves Alex and Islam are naturally capable of being similar sizes.
Do you think that being overweight gives you a natural abilyty to carry more weight? And Volks was overweight, carrying also a thick layer of fat in his rugby days. Similar to Khabibs tiramisu days.

not an Islam fanboy but good to know im talking to two butthurt Volk fanboys. the IV issue isnt even an issue, nothing came from the allegations because Islam was not found to be in violation of anything. no credible evidence was put forward. and no, a tweet from Ali is not credible evidence. go cry in the corner with Dan Hooker.
Why do you feel the need to defend his IV use, weight cutting and cheating and get so butthurt, if you are not a fanboy?

Do you think that being overweight gives you a natural abilyty to carry more weight? And Volks was overweight, carrying also a thick layer of fat in his rugby days. Similar to Khabibs tiramisu days.

Why do you feel the need to defend his IV use, weight cutting and cheating and get so butthurt, if you are not a fanboy?
he wasnt overweight - look up pics of Volk when he was playing rugby. the guy was a goddamned muscular Ninja Turtle. that 200+ pounds was mostly muscle. its called a frame, and it differs from human to human.

oh no, i defended myself against an accusation! that must mean im butthurt and in no way were you just spewing bullshit that you had no idea about. the most recent articles I can find on the IV matter say that Islam has been cleared of any wrongdoing. if you can find a credible source that says otherwise (not just some Tweet from Ali), then I am open to reading it.
how is weight cutting cheating, btw? because it if is, then every fighter who cuts weight should be cut for cheating.
I like both Islam and Volk, but the salt from Volk fanboys after seeing him lose has just been hilarious. thanks for the entertainment.

the champ at 145 is "naturally bigger" than the champ at 155, despite being significantly shorter?

lol wtf

Errr yeah, pretty sure Islam never walks around at 215lbs let alone plays competitive sport at that weight.

The pound for pound rankings are 1 quarter actual skill and 3 quarters popularity contest, he’s right but no one cares cause the people who know have accepted it’s a popularity thing and the people who only watch casually don’t grasp the concept of pound for pound. Not that it can’t be explained to them but would they even care to know?

I hate Jones but he was PFP number 1 before his break and 3 years later moved up a division and squashed the number 1 contender. Islam had his first top 5 ranked win against Charles and had a close fight with Volk it should be jones

Back