• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Isaac Newton developed calculus while under quarantine from the plague

I thought they both developed it independently.

They sort of did. Liebniz did more though, we also use his standard notation. I mean Newton did an insane amount of stuff (including independently developing part of differential calculus).

As brilliant as Newton was he also stunted physics because he dismissed the particle theory of light. He sort of poo-poo'd on everyone that would propose particle models of light --- which was a bad thing to do at that time (go against Newton, I mean).

I wonder what Newton would have thought of QM? He might have dismissed it or adopted it but who knows.

They sort of did. Liebniz did more though, we also use his standard notation. I mean Newton did an insane amount of stuff (including independently developing part of differential calculus).

As brilliant as Newton was he also stunted physics because he dismissed the particle theory of light. He sort of poo-poo'd on everyone that would propose particle models of light --- which was a bad thing to do at that time (go against Newton, I mean).

I wonder what Newton would have thought of QM? He might have dismissed it or adopted it but who knows.

I doubt at the time, he stunted physics. Einstein didn't even believe in QM though.

Leibnitz's notation is what we use, but all evidence suggests that Newton developed Calculus 10 years or so before Leibnitz did.

Didn't Leibniz die in an unmarked grave hated by the public due to his feuds with Newton (among others)? I thought he only received due recognition in the 20th century.

Didn't Leibniz die in an unmarked grave hated by the public due to his feuds with Newton (among others)? I thought he only received due recognition in the 20th century.

I'm embarrassed to say that i've forgotten the history (which I sort of knew at one point). It's funny how things work. Before widespread access to the internet, Tesla was largely disregarded by the average person in the US and Edison held in Davinci level esteem.

My how things have changed.

I'm embarrassed to say that i've forgotten the history (which I sort of knew at one point). It's funny how things work. Before widespread access to the internet, Tesla was largely disregarded by the average person in the US and Edison held in Davinci level esteem.

My how things have changed.
Yeah, good parallels with Edison-Tesla. Tesla was relegated to the dustbin of history until he was "rediscovered" in the late 20th century. And now he's the celebrated genius while Edison fell out of favor. Not quite as cutthroat, but the Steve Jobs-Bill Gates rivalry shares some similarities too.

I’ve done a shit load of weight lifting. My routine is like this
Monday: bench press
Tuesday: bicep curls
Wednesday: bench press
Thursday: bicep curls
Friday: bench press
Saturday: bicep curls
Sunday: abs

Legs: not necessary I walk on them all day every day so they are fine.

I just opened this huge clam that I brought back from the beach all by myself.

And I'm adapting Bobby's World intro Theme with my guitar to play with my friends online.

We evolved backwards. lol.

I mastered the art of throwing farts.

I've been exercising nearly every day, and also smoking weed alot. I drew a picture the other day.

The fucking guy quoted in the OP spelled it "Issac."

He does not need to be lecturing us about anything. The prick couldn't even muster the initiative to check his spelling.

Back