• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Woodley-Maia disheartening for you BJJ guys?

Nope. Always good to have a plan B. I was genuinely looking forward to elite BJJ rollers choking out UFC champion wrestlers. But I knew deep down inside that Maia would never get him down.:(

Only if plan B uses effective techniques. For instance, if Woodley spent a third of his time bowling as his plan B, many would say he was being stupid. Basically, Woodley seems to disagree with you about the effectiveness of BJJ; he dedicates a significant portion of his limited training time to it. If he thought BJJ were ineffective he would simply cut it out, and only practice wrestling and striking.

I was more disheartened by watching Werdum vs Overeem to be honest.
A BJJ guy failing to take down a strong wrestler is pretty normal...

Wrestlers will rule the UFC like the Chinese will the world.

I'm not up on politics, and correct me if I'm wrong, but of 12 current UFC titles, only 3 were won on the ground. 2 of those (DC and and Nunes) were won by submission, one of which was the result of a knockdown, not a takedown. (If you consider Jones the real champ, he won [and consistently wins] with striking.) Khabib is the only title holder whose primary strategy is [offensive] wrestling and ground strikes, but his record is littered with submissions. Before that you really only had Ronda and GSP, one of which was smashed to shit twice by strikers, the other by all accounts very interested in BJJ.

So when you say that wrestlers will rule the UFC... I don't know what you're talking about. And if you say that defensive wrestling is what allows strikers to not get taken down, then you validate the argument that defensive BJJ (or sub grappling) is what allows wrestlers not to get choked.

In this style vs style match, isn't the Judoka winner if this was a real street fight?

That takedown on concrete is 1-0 Judo. No?

Btw, I just learned Renzo was a high school Judo Champion. No wonder he could take down wrestlers

And now I find out that the other famous Gracies also cross trained Judo and Wrestling. So it was all a bluff after all, their BJJ promotion.

Back