Is werdum right about overeem being cocky?

TheSteak

White Belt
Reaction score
I've always liked reem, but it seems like blackzillians and werdum dont like him... They say that he is "cocky", i find overeem very settled-down dude... Why is everyone calling him cocky?

no he is not. a fighter need to have his confidence

Look at werdum and tell me thats not the face of a man who tells the truth

has a pretty high opinion of himself, the fight with bigfoot is a classic example, all those smug looks before he got knocked out.

Cocky? He was just complimenting the size of his wang...

He was very cocky and disrespectful in some of his interviews before the Bigfoot fight.

He was extremely cocky before his losses in the UFC. You could tell in his interviews/fights that he thought he was invincible and no one could stop him.

Hell, look at his fights against Brock and Bigfoot. He tells the media he will tear Brock apart piece by piece, send him into retirement and make him go back to fake wrestling, etc, etc. Fight starts, he has his hands down the entire time, just walking forward throwing knees. If Brock wasn't so scared of Overeem in that fight, he would've sent Overeem a very big reality check. Brock didn't even throw much punches when Overeem's hands were down, walking forward throwing knees lol. He didn't even go for a takedown (He reached for leg once, then gave up on it without even attempting to finish it)

Then you have the fight against Bigfoot. He says Bigfoot is just some random dude they picked as a warm up fight, Bigfoot is not professional and has to have a translator, he'll destroy Bigfoot, etc etc. Fight starts, he has his hands down to prove that Bigfoot can't touch him. And he just coasts through it as if it was a sparring match lol

He got humbled after the Bigfoot fight though. But honestly, I don't blame him for getting cocky. He built up an invincible aura at the time. If Cain was champion at the time, I think more would pick Ubereem to beat him at the time

no he is not. a fighter need to have his confidence

There's a difference between confidence and cocky.

Anderson Silva dancing around in front of Chris Weidman = Cocky

TJ Dillashaw standing with Renan Barao after only training striking for a few years and pushing forward = Confidence

lol. watch the pressers and interviews before the bigfoot fight.

Look at werdum and tell me thats not the face of a man who tells the truth

25krk87.jpg

fabriciojoker.jpg

yes, he was cocky when he was invincible

but now, without his high testosterone levels he is a medium ranking fighter, not invincible anymore, no more cocky guy. Simple as that

Overeem is in my top 3 of favorite fighters, but he was really cocky, especially before he started to lose in UFC. People already brought up pre fight interviews and his demanour in the Big Foot fight as an example. I met an ex UFC fighter, and he used to be training partner with Overeem, and I asked him about how Overeem was, because I'm a really big fan of his, and he told me that Overeem was really douchy in training, and he always tried to hurt his training partners, this was before he was in Blackzillians, and they said the same thing after his depature.

I would call him somewhat cocky. The reason I say this is there was a little bit of lack of respect for the striking of a few opponents that had KO'ed him(Bigfoot, Browne) And IMHO, Overeem should have dropped both of them with his superior striking abilities.

Same with Anderson Silva. Everyone says the first fight was a fluke, but it wasn't. Under estimating your opponents abilities is a bad tactic, especially with those 4oz. gloves. That's why they earned those loses.

If I was overeem .. there is no way in hell I wouldn't be cocky too ..

It's only being cocky if you lose. Otherwise it's just confidence in your abilities.

Ive always thought Overeem was an arrogant, cocky prick but I think Bigfoot and Browne beat that out of him.

Bring on Bigfoot/Overeem 2.

Back