Is/was MMA ever bigger than boxing?

No way in hell MMA is bigger then boxing in Mexico. And yes Mexico is in NA.

The truth is the even though the UFC can reach more people then every it's still seen as a niche sport with a very specific demographic. Boxing is accepted and entrenched so much in American society that we actually have gentlemen's agreements in fights to box and allow our opponent to stand back up.

Yeah, how often in a real fight do you see a gentleman's agreement to do that? All I ever see is people just helplessly flailing whatever they can flail at each other.

Country by country it seems to me (going by instinct):

Boxing is bigger: Mexico, UK, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Cuba, Argentina, Venezuela, Philippines

MMA is bigger: Brazil, Australia, NZ, Poland, Sweden

Not sure/close: USA, Canada, Russia, Japan, South Korea

Thoughts?

Here in The Netherlands MMA is much, much bigger than boxing too.

Here in The Netherlands MMA is much, much bigger than boxing too.
Yeah, I added Netherlands right before I saw your post. I have no idea about most of Europe though.

Country by country it seems to me (going by instinct):

Boxing is bigger: Mexico, UK, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, 7Cuba, Argentina, Venezuela, Philippines

MMA is bigger: Brazil, Australia, NZ, Poland, Sweden, Netherlands

Not sure/close: USA, Canada, Russia, Japan, South Korea

Thoughts?

Combat sports aren't that popular in Poland. Polish people care about MMA freak shows (it's cool when you are stoned lolol).

Kb and boxing are bigger than MMA in Japan.

No one cares about the Netherlands. Kickboxing is more popular than MMA there.

Yes and both are infinitely bigger than boxing. And people who aren't acting like children care.

Boxing has been more culturally relevant than MMA since the start of the UFC, what will it take for MMA to surpass boxing?
Dana needs to be fired, the UFC needs to be broken up (it's a quasi-monopoly) and more money given to the fighters. This will attract better talent and not just fighters from poor countries in Asia and Africa.

It’s embarrassing to tell people you’re a MMA fan. Most MMA fans are virgin basement dwellers like the people you’ve seen in this thread.

Never and No. PPV buys don't lie.
Pretty sure UFC's PPVs sell better on average than boxing ones. Besides Canelo, who's selling close to 1 million ppvs in the US? Wilder/Fury II sold well and Joshua does well in England, but nobody is even touching 500k regularly besides Canelo and/or Fury/Joshua.

Maybe right now but boxing is much more culturally important in so many more countries than MMA. Mexico, Japan, Canada, Various parts of Europe, South America and Africa. It's gonna take a lot for MMA to ever catch up culturally.

Maybe right now but boxing is much more culturally important in so many more countries than MMA. Mexico, Japan, Canada, Various parts of Europe, South America and Africa. It's gonna take a lot for MMA to ever catch up culturally.
giphy.gif

MMA has been bigger ever since boxing finally pulled the trigger on Floyd/Pac, even before that it had been very close since the late 00s.

I'm a boxing fan, but the anti-MMA boxing types tend to massively overestimate how big boxing actually is, especially globally. Both sports are niche in most countries.

People also usually mention Tyson even though he hasn't "competed" in years.

Mike Tyson almost reached soccer status, so that's the reason.

The friends of my younger bro even know him.

No one will remember guys like conor/Floyd etc. It's just a matter of time.

Back