Is UFC 190 Indicative of UFC's Heartbeat?

Jesus Freak

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The "UFC is dying" threads were overwhelming for a bit only a month, or two, ago.

Not sure what the PPV numbers are, but there's no denying 190 had a HUGE event vibe, despite an undeniably mismatched main event. On paper, Correia didn't even have a puncher's chance of defeating Rousey.

Can we still deem the UFC to be a dwindling org despite showcasing these "tent pole" events throughout the year?

The UFC is dying threads are overwhelming after every event they have. Putting any stock in them based on the stuff written here mostly by neckbeards who just want to hear themselves bitch is pointless.

The UFC is dying threads are overwhelming after every event they have. Putting any stock in them based on the stuff written here mostly by neckbeards who just want to hear themselves bitch is pointless.

Neckbeard? Sounds hilarious, but I don't know exactly what that is!

Please enlighten me!

Neckbeard? Sounds hilarious, but I don't know exactly what that is!

Please enlighten me!

Imagine this guy speaking know it all hipsterese and you'll get the basic idea.

ipI8AZO.png

Wait wot? I thought Sherdog White Knights were the neckbeards on here?

Either which way, its absurd to think the UFC is near its downfall but it is reasonable to think they have plateaud.

As TS said, UFC 190 is indicative of its heartbeat and I think it might be a self inflicted wound... when the UFC puts all of their chips on marketable fighters like Conor and Ronda there's a potential issue there... more people know about each one of them individually more than the entire stable of Champions put together lol!

It was evdenced by UFC 187, when a insanely stacked card with two Championship fights does just 375k compared to an incredibly weak 190 with a squash match for Ronda doing over 1mil... thats a huge problem. It was also sad to see nobody even recognize the WW title fight on the 189 co-main. What is the UFC planning on doing? Putting Ronda or Conor on every PPV?

UFC is just doing a horrible job at promoting their own talent and it might cost them in the long run.

Either which way, its absurd to think the UFC is near its downfall but it is reasonable to think they have plateaud.

They plateaued in North America years ago, basically after Brock. They actually seem to be gaining popularity with the rise of Conor and Rousey. I have no idea about the UFC's financial status, but their popularity seems obviously to be growing in the US right now, mainly due to those two fighters.

I am not sure if it is accurate to say the UFC has plateaued at this point.

They plateaued in North America years ago, basically after Brock. They actually seem to be gaining popularity with the rise of Conor and Rousey. I have no idea about the UFC's financial status, but their popularity seems obviously to be growing in the US right now, mainly due to those two fighters.

I am not sure if it is accurate to say the UFC has plateaued at this point.

Idk man, that might have very well been somewhere reasonably close to its peak. UFC popularity pretty much skyrocketed after Brock came in the sport... it went from only being able to catch UFC on Spike and the occasional ESPN mini clip to pretty much not even being able to go to a department store without running into UFC merchandise. Mind you this was before they had FOX to back them so it was huge.

Conor and Ronda command camera time and do endless amount of media work etc. To stay relevant almost "attention whoring" if you will by doing absurd things like calling out Floyd, doing low budget commercials, or shooting D-List movies.

Brock on the other hand avoided the media and pretty much secluded himself and his PPV numbers were still astronomical!

Idk man, that might have very well been somewhere reasonably close to its peak. UFC popularity pretty much skyrocketed after Brock came in the sport... it went from only being able to catch UFC on Spike and the occasional ESPN mini clip to pretty much not even being able to go to a department store without running into UFC merchandise. Mind you this was before they had FOX to back them so it was huge.

Conor and Ronda command camera time and do endless amount of media work etc. To stay relevant almost "attention whoring" if you will by doing absurd things like calling out Floyd, doing low budget commercials, or shooting D-List movies.

Brock on the other hand avoided the media and pretty much secluded himself and his PPV numbers were still astronomical!

I'm not necessarily arguing that they are bigger than Brock, simply that they are elevating the UFC's popularity above it's baseline in the same way Brock did. The UFC is currently gaining popularity and seems to be selling lots more PPVs this year than it has in the past few. I find that difficult to describe as plateauing.

But yes, between Brock and Ronda, it certainly seemed plateaued.

:::strokes his neck beard while putting his ear up against the UFC's heartbeat and giving it pillow talk:::

Nothing changed. Some people want the UFC to fail, and this people make a lot of noise on Sherdog. They have been quiet for a while now, that's all.

As TS said, UFC 190 is indicative of its heartbeat and I think it might be a self inflicted wound... when the UFC puts all of their chips on marketable fighters like Conor and Ronda there's a potential issue there... more people know about each one of them individually more than the entire stable of Champions put together lol!

It was evdenced by UFC 187, when a insanely stacked card with two Championship fights does just 375k compared to an incredibly weak 190 with a squash match for Ronda doing over 1mil... thats a huge problem. It was also sad to see nobody even recognize the WW title fight on the 189 co-main. What is the UFC planning on doing? Putting Ronda or Conor on every PPV?

UFC is just doing a horrible job at promoting their own talent and it might cost them in the long run.

In all fairness, not everyone who attends a football or baseball game, or watches a UFC PPV can be a "hardcore" fan. To be honest, the best UFC PPV experience I've had has been watching it solo, w/o having someone moaning about fighters being on the ground too long!

If you attend a baseball game, many will be wearing their favorite team's jersey, but how much do they know about the leagues in general?

The UFC has gone from a tiny underground venue in Denver with less than 8,000 in attendance to hosting events WORLDwide...

Things can't be that bad for them, right?

Back