is this safe ?

toufeksian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well im taking a supplement that has this ingredients , its a lipotropic , liver protector
what do u think ?

Choline (as bitartrate) 1000mg
Inositol 500mg
L-Methionine 250mg
Lecithin 100mg
Betaine HCl 100mg

Betaine Hydrochloride is the only substance there I'm not familiar with, so I went to look it up (all the others are safe, BTW), and found this:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203077.html

It says you can only get this in the US with a prescription, so I'm presuming either:
a) You're not from the USA
b) You're doing this illegally.

I do not presume you have a prescription since if a doctor gave this to you, you wouldn't be asking us this question. It doesn't matter to me, either way, so you know. I'm pretty sure you said you were from somewhere over in the Middle East (asking about alternative protein sources in another thread, right?).

Are you roiding, man? Why do you need a liver protectant?

In any case, I can't tell you anything more than I found in that article. All I will say is that substances restricted to a prescription are usually restricted for a reason, so you'll want to know a lot more about this substance before you start taking it.

why are you taking this supplement?

well its a lipotropic , supposed to help you loose fat , also , being a liver protector i dont see why not

toufeksian said:
well its a lipotropic , supposed to help you loose fat , also , being a liver protector i dont see why not

Toufe, sorry to be harsh, but that's why you're not a doctor.

You need to talk to someone who knows a lot more about this before you start taking a USA prescription-only drug.

saaavage said:
mick whats your background

Formally, I was an English and Cinema Studies major.

Madmick said:
Betaine Hydrochloride is the only substance there I'm not familiar with, so I went to look it up (all the others are safe, BTW), and found this:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203077.html

It says you can only get this in the US with a prescription, so I'm presuming either:
a) You're not from the USA
b) You're doing this illegally.

I do not presume you have a prescription since if a doctor gave this to you, you wouldn't be asking us this question. It doesn't matter to me, either way, so you know. I'm pretty sure you said you were from somewhere over in the Middle East (asking about alternative protein sources in another thread, right?).

Are you roiding, man? Why do you need a liver protectant?

In any case, I can't tell you anything more than I found in that article. All I will say is that substances restricted to a prescription are usually restricted for a reason, so you'll want to know a lot more about this substance before you start taking it.

i knew that word looked familiar.. it's in my multi-enzyme supplement.. it's a digestive aid i purchased at my local Vitamin Shoppe.. i don't think u need a prescription in the US for it mick.. it's in a lot of things :wink:

here's a cut and paste from
http://www.vitacost.com/NSITMGTrimethylglycineBetaineHCl

Studies indicate trimethylglycine (TMG)(betaine HCl), will promote healthy homocysteine levels, which lower risk of stroke, heart attack and dementia. It is also known to improve liver function. Additionally, it often relieves the symptoms of heartburn, and improves digestion in people with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid).

Warnings
Betaine HCl can irritate the lining of the stomach. If a burning sensation is experience, betaine HCl should be immediately discontinued. It is not recommended to take more than 650 mg of betaine HCl without the recommendation of a physician. People with a history of peptic ulcers, gastritis, heartburn or other gastrointestinal symptoms should see a physician before taking betaine HCl. People taking anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), cortisone-like drugs or other medications that may cause a peptic ulcer should not take betaine HCl.

toufeksian said:

how do those ingredients burn fat?.. does it increase metabolism or something?

Brand Nizzle said:
Whaddya do for a living?

Right now I work at as a lowly gym attendant for the graveyard shift at a 24-hour gym. I took the job because it would allow me to study all night for the law school admission exams, but I end up just reading a bunch of my S&C books and posting on this forum, ahahahahaha!!!

Oh, but I'm also going to manage Robert Alejandre's MMA gym he's opening in Red Bluff in December. We've been planning the last three months (well, I have...he's been planning the last year or so, and he's already ran two successful dojos in the past). It's gonna be SICK: almost 2,000 square feet, bathrooms with showers, a video room, an enclosed room with a glass-pane window through which the parents can watch their kids but not distract the class, my own office, two full racks of dumbbells, a power rack, medicine balls, 8 adult heavy bags, 8 children's standalone bags, plus some speeds and double ends, a couple BOB's, the best mats money can buy...and I got a key, fellas, I got a key).

Madmick said:
Right now I work at as a lowly gym attendant for the graveyard shift at a 24-hour gym. I took the job because it would allow me to study all night for the law school admission exams, but I end up just reading a bunch of my S&C books and posting on this forum, ahahahahaha!!!

Oh, but I'm also going to manage Robert Alejandre's MMA gym he's opening in Red Bluff in December. We've been planning the last three months (well, I have...he's been planning the last year or so, and he's already ran two successful dojos in the past). It's gonna be SICK: almost 2,000 square feet, bathrooms with showers, a video room, an enclosed room with a glass-pane window through which the parents can watch their kids but not distract the class, my own office, two full racks of dumbbells, a power rack, medicine balls, 8 adult heavy bags, 8 children's standalone bags, plus some speeds and double ends, a couple BOB's, the best mats money can buy...and I got a key, fellas, I got a key).

That gym seems TOO good to be true man..

Madmick said:

You'll be living the life, Mick.

lol, I love the "...and I got a key, fellas, I got a key". That's my favorite...I wish I could get a key to my gym, let alone a key to the gym you'll be working at.

sry i cant answer before , but the link mick paste was talking about betaine only , or betaine systemic (i dont know what this mean) but anyway , like supersudo said , the betaine HCL is a form of hidrocloric acid , the one that is needed for the proteins to be digested, thats safe for sure , and you can buy it without prescription

so if the others are safe , i think im gona give this a try

toufeksian said:
sry i cant answer before , but the link mick paste was talking about betaine only , or betaine systemic (i dont know what this mean) but anyway , like supersudo said , the betaine HCL is a form of hidrocloric acid , the one that is needed for the proteins to be digested, thats safe for sure , and you can buy it without prescription

so if the others are safe , i think im gona give this a try

i think it would be a better deal to get em all separately.. a Lectithin, B-complex, enzyme and protein powder.. it'll last u probably way longer, probably way cheaper and u get other vital nutrients as well..

lecithin already has choline, inositol is in most b-complexes, enzymes would help ur digestion, and L-methoinine is in protein.. :wink:

Yeah, it looks like I put my foot in my mouth on the Betaine. In my defense, my search was for "Betaine HCl" (the page also comes up first for "Betaine Hydrochloride), but it doesn't specify anything about the described Betaine being a specific variation with unique properties, it only noted that Betaine is a systemic. Furthermore, it's a government website, so i trust that the information is accurate concerning prescriptions (it doesn't look to be out of date).

I'd be careful here. Heed Kabuki's metaphor comparing Ephedrine to Steroids: simply because a ban is only partially lifted (not federally), doesn't mean that the Ephedrine you're getting is legal.

Also, keep this in mind, Toufe and Sudo. When I first went to buy Ephedrine, you couldn't get it straight anywhere, you had to buy the HCl form. But that didn't mean there was an pharmacological difference in their effects, I believe it had more to do with the war on meth (the reason you still can't buy straight Ephedrine here in California, where meth is an epidemic).

The website described an "oral" powder as prescription-only, I checked for that. It's not like we're talking about apples and oranges with orals and injectables.

I am still reserved about this substance. I know so little about it. Toufe, I'd wait until Terumo gets back on the board. He's the man to ask when nobody else knows. You also might try PM'ing Entropy; if he's familiar with it, I would trust his information.

Oh, and if you get lecithin, get egg-based lecithin, not soy-based lecithin. Entropy posted a very good article on this (and many more articles on soy) in the "Vegan Body Building" thread in S&P.

Terumo and Entropy have both strongly critiqued soy. I am not resistant to change, and Entropy's argument is stronger than mine. I won't be taking unfermented soy products anymore (including powders), and I will be seriously limiting my fermented soy intake.

Madmick said:
Oh, and if you get lecithin, get egg-based lecithin, not soy-based lecithin. Entropy posted a very good article on this (and many more articles on soy) in the "Vegan Body Building" thread in S&P.

Terumo and Entropy have both strongly critiqued soy. I am not resistant to change, and Entropy's argument is stronger than mine. I won't be taking unfermented soy products anymore (including powders), and I will be seriously limiting my fermented soy intake.

so i was right huh, mick?.. now i just need to work on my debating skillz :D

u know, i've never seen a lecithin supplement made from anything other than soy....

maybe i (and u too) should start buying a choline and inositol combo.. those are the only things that are healthy in lecithin right? with exceptions of a few non-essential fatty acids, but that's okay.. they're "non-essential" :D

Back