Is this MMA guy really throwing decent muay thai kicks on the bag?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no experience in Muay Thai and I've seen worse but it looks to me that he is not timing the hip thrust optimally. There's something really OFF in his contortion that negates a lot of the power.

What are some of the things to look for here from a muay thai lens`?

Looks good to me
<{UberTS}>No question these Muay Thai kicks can deliver powerful blows.
Isn't he past the rotational point when making contact with the leg? if you look at the still photo, his hip is turning away rather than towards the bag...
<{1-10}>Not knowing all the technical.s I'd say the issue is MMA competitors not training to standards set by this instructor.

<{1-9}>I don't see anything wrong with his kicking... the Judo answer to this kind of opponent is not to stand there like a heavy bag.<{1-1}>

i dislike that guy hes a jack of trades he tried to make khabib vids when he isnt even blue belt grappling level hes the modern day expert village type vid

HIs upper body is leaning back because hes loading too much up and taking a step outwards.

Those are better suited for kicks to the leg

If we talking power, looks pretty powerful to me.
He’s obviously training pure power so it’s hard to say but his kicks look unbelievably slow.
That getting your knee past the target seems like a good tip for power, but I don’t really know so I can’t speak on that. I personally like to snap my kicks way earlier just because I feel like someone could catch it but I’ve never tried his way

Isn't he past the rotational point when making contact with the leg? if you look at the still photo, his hip is turning away rather than towards the bag...
Nah, that's a myth. That's a product of half way teaching.

His kick is very good

Looks fine to me too.
He also never said it was pure Muay Thai style? Just a roundhouse.

THIS is how MMA guys should throw Muay Thai kicks on the bag:

If you watch his sparring vids, he engages from a longer range than MT. He sets up the kicks and hides the loading quite well and likes to do a lot of in and out.

i dislike that guy hes a jack of trades he tried to make khabib vids when he isnt even blue belt grappling level hes the modern day expert village type vid
he is a pro currently signed with One FC....I think he's a blue belt with like 25ish MT fights.

I don't think so. Turning the hip over is how you push your body weight through the target. He turns the hip over at just the right time too.

My only issue is his weight is too far back on the kick, when he recovers he has to take an extra step to re-balance himself

But he's a MMA fighter not a MT/KB striker, so his striking is adjusted for MMA; So it's gonna look different from pure striking. Seen a few of his other videos before, and its okay I guess, but I wouldn't rely in it 100% for material to use when you have a MT/KB fight.

Spacetime whats your thoughts on jean claude van damm lol since you like putting peoples kicks down for stupid irrelevant reasons.

Loading up crazy , sloppy guard

Every Thai loads up like that hitting pads. Doesnt mean they do it in a fight.

Back