Is this maybe the record size/weight across all combat sport styles (Ssiereum Wrestling 2004)?

Drago110482

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Sorry but it didnt know in which thread i could post it...we dont have a forum about Wrestling here, only about Kickboxing and Boxing.

I came across a Youtube video from the Ssierum Championships 2004, and in the final was the match up betweewn former K-1 and MMA fighter Hongman Choi versus Younghyun Kim.

Check this out:

Choi weighed 175.5 kg (387 lb; 27 st 9 lb) standing 2.18 m (7 ft 2 in) tall, Kim weighed 167.8 kg (370 lb; 26 st 6 lb) standing 2.17 m (7 ft 1 in) tall.

Choi and Kim brought together 343,3 kg (756.8 lb; 53 st 12 lb) and 4.35 m (14 ft 3 in)

(clip starts on the right spot)

Kim also fought in K-1. He won against Ryushi Yanagisawa (who fought against Vitali Klitschko in the 1990s) but lost to Nicholas Pettas and Ruslan Karaev.

During his K-1 and MMA days, Choi weighed in his prime 352-367lb / 160-166 kg, but as you can see in the clip as a Ssireum Wrestler his weight was 387 lb / 175.5 kg

PS:
And for the moderators of the Sherdog forum:

You list Choi in your database word to word as "Hong Man Choi". This is a very old and outdated romanization of korean names and only leads to confusion.

Hong and Man are not two names like Jean and Claude, it is one name who consists of two syllables, like Patrick (1Pat2rick).

His given name is written either as "Hong-man" or "Hongman". Check out his Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/choi.hongman/?hl=de

He himself writes his name as "Hongman" and not "Hong Man". Maybe you can change it? Of course its up to you. :)

great video, and nice to see a long ssireum video like that.

my first thought was to go to sumo for the biggest combat sports match ever. i don't know what the heaviest sumo match of all time was, but Konishiki alone at his heaviest was around 630 lbs. his matches with Musashimaru and Akebono would have been pretty masssive.

in this (terrible) match Konishiki would have been around 573 lbs and Akebono was around 473 lbs:

their matches later in their careers they would both have been a fair bit heavier too.

Konishiki wasn't the largest sumo wrestler ever, but Orora who holds that record competed at lower divisions and not against guys as big as Konishiki's opponents.

Thx for that video too! :)

Those guys are also two damn behemoths.

For weight only i am sure Choi vs Kim was not the record. But i thought maybe when you take the total package of size + weight together.

Choi and Kim are 7'2" and 7'1.1/2"...i dont know if two japanese Sumotoris were that big...or?

Thx for that video too! :)

Those guys are also two damn behemoths.

For weight only i am sure Choi vs Kim was not the record. But i thought maybe when you take the total package of size + weight together.

Choi and Kim are 7'2" and 7'1.1/2"...i dont know if two japanese Sumotoris were that big...or?
yeah, Choi and Kim are both much taller than the tallest modern sumo wrestler.

there are wrestlers from the distant past who were supposedly taller, but we're talking Ikuzuki from the mid-1800s (supposedly 227 cm) and the mythological first Yokozuna Akashi Shiganosuke who was supposedly over 8 feet tall (obviously an exaggeration), seen here strangling his opponent:

Yoshitoshi_Akashi_1867.jpg

by comparison, Akebono and Kotooshu are two of the tallest modern wrestlers and were both a mere 6' 8" tall.

yeah, Choi and Kim are both much taller than the tallest modern sumo wrestler.

there are wrestlers from the distant past who were supposedly taller, but we're talking Ikuzuki from the mid-1800s (supposedly 227 cm) and the mythological first Yokozuna Akashi Shiganosuke who was supposedly over 8 feet tall (obviously an exaggeration), seen here strangling his opponent:

Yoshitoshi_Akashi_1867.jpg

by comparison, Akebono and Kotooshu are two of the tallest modern wrestlers and were both a mere 6' 8" tall.

Thx very much! Nice informations.

Ive never had so much respect for Sumo and Ssireum, but it changed over the years. Those guys are real behemoths and they deserve more credit.
Sure they dont punch each other in the face or do G&P, but they have amazing skills and power to move an opponent who is so big and heavy.

Even the great Mike Tyson respects Sumotoris very much. In his prime in the mid to late 80s Iron Mike was called the baddest man on the planet, but he respected Sumotoris.

mike-tyson-sumo-wrestler.jpg

great video, and nice to see a long ssireum video like that.

I just found an other one which is even longer, 2 hours and 33 minutes:

Its the same tournament, the final championships at the end of the year, only one year before, 2003.

Choi and Kim met again in the final, but here Choi was the winner. The final begins around 1,45 or 1,47 hours and it lasts almost 45 minutes.

Both guys were a little lighter here, Choi 366.9 lb (166.4 kg) and Kim 358.3 lb (162.5 kg).

A year later Choi added around 20 lb (9 kg) up to 387 lb (175.5 kg) and Kim added 12 lb (5 kg) to 370 lb (167,8 kg).

Akebono 514lbs vs Choi 367lbs. ~881lbs
They were not exactly that weight, but surely close.
Probably the heaviest.

Also Zuluzinho vs Butterbean combined over 700lbs. Epic match.

I actually made a thread about the "biggest/heaviest" A fee years ago.
I love this shit.

Edit: Emmanuel Yarbrough was 616lbs.
Against Keith Hackney who was aprox 200lbs. ~816lbs match.

Yarborough also weighed up to 317kg, 697.4lbs eventually, I just read randomly.

Last edited:
Probably the heaviest.

I love this shit.

Cool! :-D

Yes i am sure when it comes to weight alone there were matches with more on the scale. Maybe in size alone too...

But when it comes to the total package of size and weight together, i guess Kim vs Choi should be the winner.

303b0097a8.jpg

I had no idea Choi was a Ssierium wrestler let alone so successful at it. I guess that style of wrestling doesn't really show too much when you're grappling a guy like Minowa who is the size of your leg and tangling you up lower than you can reach.

I had no idea Choi was a Ssierium wrestler let alone so successful at it.

His opponent Kim was even more succesful, he won the Championship 3 times, Choi only once. But of course this is still a big sucess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssireum#Korean_Championship_(unlimited)

I guess that style of wrestling doesn't really show too much when you're grappling a guy like Minowa who is the size of your leg and tangling you up lower than you can reach.

Sure. But i remember damn good when he fought Fedor on December 31, 2007 at Yarennoka. People who always called him a freak in K-1 were surprised how good his takedown defense is.

Remember Fedor tried twice to bring him down, but Hongman countered both times and landed on top of Fedor.

(i like this vid because of the music, "The Eagle Lands" from "Kickboxer 3" (1989) with Van Damme. At the end of the clip you see Fedor with female Boxer Natascha Ragosina and Van Damme)

But of course all in all his ground game was too weak for ppl like Fedor or Minowaman.

But in K-1 he gave the best guys trouble, Bonjasky, Schilt, Le Banner, they had no walk in the park with him (officially he won against Schilt, besides Aerts and Hari he was the only one).

And his punch resistance was damn good. Not many fighters from MMA or K-1 would still standing after these punches and kicks from Le Banner, who had the highest KO ratio in K-1.

(Clip starts on the right spot)

Kim was less succesfull in K-1...he had a glass jaw an zero punch resistance, got KOed by Nicholas Pettas and Ruslan Karaev.

Last edited:
They're the biggest guys until we finally organise that Sherdoggers tournament we keep talking about.

For those that like freakishly large Sumo check out the matches of Orora、He's the heaviest Sumo on record and
his fights are just him waddling around before collapsing due to exhaustion

i don't know, i don't really count Orora because his entire goal seemed to become the heaviest. that wasn't necessarily Konishiki's goal, his goal was like every other sumo, to become a Yokozuna. it just happened that he grew to be enormous, while Orora's entire career was him eating himself to that girth. not to mention it was extremely detrimental to him while Konishiki was able to move his massive weight around and was an extremely powerful competitor.

Probably the heaviest.

I love this shit.

oh yeah, i forgot that Akebono and Choi had fought in kickboxing. i think the sumo matches between Konishiki and Akebono would still be heavier, but for kickboxing that's gotta be the heaviest match.

i wasn't thinking about Yarbrough either, and there are some big guys in amateur sumo so there's probably a match in there that was heavier than Konishiki/Akebono. i don't know how much actual competition he was doing when he was over 800 lbs but if he was actually competing then something in there would almost certainly be the heaviest match.

Back