Is this legal?

CheesyDevin

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I was rolling today and the guy had me in sidemount. With his arm that was closest to my head he grabbed his gi then wrapped it around my neck, turned facing my feet to where he was parallel with me and front roll. The roll tightens the gi around my neck and he pulled down on my gi tapping me out. Afterwords he showed it to me step by step and I was wondering if it was legal in tournaments because if it is I'm certainly going to add it to my game because it's a really cool move.

Oooookay, so dumb question... what are you allowed to use to choke an opponent? I can't see me mounting someone, taking off my belt, tying it around someone's neck and having that be legal... I mean, it isn't right?

Oooookay, so dumb question... what are you allowed to use to choke an opponent? I can't see me mounting someone, taking off my belt, tying it around someone's neck and having that be legal... I mean, it isn't right?

You can't choke with your belt, you can't squeeze the trachea, and you can't choke someone with two hands on their throat - everything else is fine.

You can't choke with your belt, you can't squeeze the trachea, and you can't choke someone with two hands on their throat - everything else is fine.

That's pretty sweet! Thank you, I did not know that.

Know what kind of choke he was referencing?

Why is choking with two hands on the throat illegal? Doesn't seem especially dangerous. Is it just unsporting?

Why is choking with two hands on the throat illegal? Doesn't seem especially dangerous. Is it just unsporting?

I guess because it's easier to damage the trachea? Maybe. I dunno. Ask Hillary.

I am pretty sure you can choke with the belt as long as it is still on you. You just can't take it off and choke with it. At least that used to be the rule.

And TS, lapel chokes are legal and pretty common. There are many variations of that choke from the top and from guard.

No you can't choke w/ your belt.

How would one choke someone with a tied belt? A really long belt would be needed

There are several choke you can do with your tied belt, at least one that is pretty effective. Basically this position, except with your belt instead of your lapel:

Jean Jacques shows a belt choke where you feed it over like the vid above, then slide your knee in beside the head. It's pretty effective.

edit: something like this with the belt:

Back