• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is there any point in buying a high end graphics card?

Real_Magi

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm still running a GTX 970, and I have yet to come across a game I can't completely max out. They have the GeForce 20 series out now, but I really don't see the point, since developers create games for all platforms, and anymore, most games are severely throttled back, so they don't have to make massive changes between different platforms. In short, shitty consoles with their primitive hardware, are holding graphics back big time.

So what's the point in buying new hardware for your PC? I seriously doubt the next generation of consoles will even rival a 1080 ti.

Am I off base here?

The point has always been:
a) to briefly be able to play any game at max settings
b) to have the bragging rights to poors that you are able to do (a)

Of course since time immemorial there have always been games that not even the best card at the time could max out, hence the Crysis meme. But the premium you pay over a good upper-mid range card has never granted a proportional increase in performance. Especially not now in the age of Nvidia gouging the shit out of people.

If the games you want to play are on console, it's cheaper to do that. PC is for more than games so it's always going to be less about bang for buck than it is raw performance figures.

when i need high end graphics nothing works better than my high end graphics card, would recommend for that reason alone

If you want to play at 4k resolution and/or higher frame rates like 144Hz the higher end cards can be useful.

Despite waiting 2 gens or more usually i wait till they announce new high ends with price drop.

If you want to play at 4k resolution and/or higher frame rates like 144Hz the higher end cards can be useful.
Ah, this is probably why I can still max games, with my 970.

So if I get a 4k monitor, I guess I'll be obligated to get the latest and greatest graphics card.

Thanks.

Ah, this is probably why I can still max games, with my 970.

So if I get a 4k monitor, I guess I'll be obligated to get the latest and greatest graphics card.

Thanks.
Get that 144hz

Get that 144hz
That's an excellent idea. I have the NVidia shield, so I could get the nVidia TV, then get a 144hz monitor. 3k later, I'm shooting people 1/1000th faster on any game I play, lol.

But seriously, that sounds amazing.

I got a similar question about the ultra wide monitors. Worth it?
IMG_9625.jpg

I was running a gtx980, didn't like my framerate with 1440p gaming so I decide to upgrade. I could either wait for new RTX or upgrade right away with 1080ti. Found a deal last sept and glad I took it. Felt like 2080ti is not worth the price hike and ray tracing just isn't ready.

Come back to this thread when you have a 27 inch 144hz monitor and tell us about your performance.

I'm still running a GTX 970, and I have yet to come across a game I can't completely max out. They have the GeForce 20 series out now, but I really don't see the point, since developers create games for all platforms, and anymore, most games are severely throttled back, so they don't have to make massive changes between different platforms. In short, shitty consoles with their primitive hardware, are holding graphics back big time.

So what's the point in buying new hardware for your PC? I seriously doubt the next generation of consoles will even rival a 1080 ti.

Am I off base here?

Max. settings at what frame rate?

Higher resolution you uncultured swine.

Still rocking a 970 too max settings 60fps all games come at me bros, maybe mines just extra fast lol?

(in b4 crying)

Maxing out is one thing, but refresh rate is another.

Also what resolution and stuff running in the background and what not.

But 1080p chill gaming 970 is quite alright.

Still rocking a 970 too max settings 60fps all games come at me bros, maybe mines just extra fast lol?

(in b4 crying)

It's because you play at console peasant 1080p 60fps.

Am I off base here?

Does your computer do everything you want it to do now? If the answer is yes, don't upgrade.
Your gtx970 is maxing things out at 1080p resolution and you should be getting around 60fps on most titles. If you tried to do 1440p or 4k resolution at 60fps, your gtx970 is going to struggle hard with modern AAA titles. You'd be fine with eSports games like LOL, DOTA 2, CSGO, etc

I have a 970 as well. No, you are not running games maxed out. Unless you A)only play really old games or B) consider playing them at a stable 40 FPS "maxed out"

Back