Is the UFC BUILT on holding subs too long?

Furious George

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Royce Gracie was the original Palhares back in the day but it seems at time has gone on people have forgot that following on from the Shamrock fight, where Shamrock tapped and Royce let go, but Shamrock claimed he had not, Royce went onto hold onto numerous chokes long after he should have.

[taken from cage potato, who did all the work about a year ago]

Exhibit A

I also believe Palhares would have a designated spot on the Gracie Train unfortunately that motherfucker was always running low on mercy and fueled solely by pain.

th_Foto-do-trem-Gracie-por-Susumu-Nagao.jpg

All those examples are very true, but to compare the sport now to the sport when those examples took place is completely irresponsible. There was no weight classes, no pre-fight medical inspections or post-fight medical suspensions, no drug tests, no background checks, put simply there was very little regulation. It was basically a glorified street fight set in a cage, therefore you fought with a street mentality and didn't quit til it was over for real.
In order to make the sport the globally accepted athletic event that it is today regulations were put in place and the fighters now have the most fair and equal stage possible to ply their trade. You have to follow the rules in order to fight, plain and simple.
Your argument is like saying its still ok for NFLers to target their opponents head when tackling because that's how they used to do it. Times have changed my friend, athletes need to change with them or be banished...

Also I think you're crazy if you don't see him cranking the hold the second time. You can blame it on the ref all you want, your own GIF shows Pierce tapping (my count) 11 times, only 5 of those before the ref jumps in. He clearly cranked the hold after the ref was in there... But to each their own I guess...

Agree but Royce's fights were like 20 years ago, now we have 20 years of ufc behind you can't keep doing this stuff

The rule was the same, you release the hold when the referee steps in and Royce did not do that.

And I'm not "crazy" there was an entire thread of people who saw the full GIF and saw it the same way.

babalu held it for about 10 seconds after the ref tried to stop him

Back