Is the Oblique Kick effective?

KillerElite

Carlos Condit knees people in the face
@Black
Reaction score
I mean it can be checked. Really doesn't do anything but score points and keep distance.
I think it is ok to use as a distance controlling weapon that is all.

[YT]SripT16CYEA[/YT]

yep, just to keep distance...

But I wouldn't really use it unless to set something up, but still, I don't think I would use it.

I mean it can be checked. Really doesn't do anything but score points and keep distance.
I think it is ok to use as a distance controlling weapon that is all.

it's super lethal at destroying knees (according to the heavies).

maybe if guys would pick up their leg off the ground once in a while, they could deal with it but checking kicks is like a lost art in MMA.

"Effective" by definition means it has an effect.

Keeping distance and scoring points are effects.

If you've got something else in mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify it for me.

There was a colossal thread discussing this a few weeks ago on the striking forum, take a look for it.

It has its uses. Very good if someone is coming at you and you want to keep them back. Not spamming it and making it easy to predict, but just throw it in as a surprise to stop them in their tracks.

Mix it up, just like everything else. Also there is so little risk involved in throwing it. They can't catch your leg, you can fake it and your balance is not comprimised too much.

When it's used appropriately, it's effective--a lot of fighters seem to throw it when their opponent moves back, which is pretty much useless. If you catch them coming in, or with their weight planted, it works quite well for stopping their forward movement. Depending on your target, you can injure the knee (as we saw with Miguel Torres), or you can cause pain and start wearing away at their leg just like you would with other leg kicks. It is also very useful at close range, but I have yet to see MMA fighters use it in that context. A man I know who teaches police, military, and self defense courses has had three students break people's legs at close range with oblique kicks.

Now, I will admit that there was a time when I didn't think oblique kicks were worth anything. They just didn't seem like they had the range or power to do much good. Then I sparred with a guy who was good at them, and used them extensively, and I found it very difficult to defend against. By the end of the round, I could barely walk, and I had been wearing pads! Ever since then, I started really exploring them and utilizing them in my training.

The oblique kick can definitely be effective, but you need to throw it properly and time it well. Also, the longer your legs, the better it works, and it's easier to throw against shorter opponents.

In sparring, it's a little less effective, because you shouldn't be throwing it at your opponent's knee or even right above it, so you don't destroy your training partner's leg, but it does still work. Landing it on the shin has a weaker, but still useful effect. It prevents them from stepping forward, but doesn't hyper-extend their leg as easily.

[YT]SripT16CYEA[/YT]

yep, just to keep distance...

But I wouldn't really use it unless to set something up, but still, I don't think I would use it.

That's just a front leg side kick to the knee.
KBe1Ea.gif

These are oblique kicks.
y0ldro.gif

m8qJ9X.gif

Last edited:
"Effective" by definition means it has an effect.

Keeping distance and scoring points are effects.

If you've got something else in mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify it for me.
I mean damage wise. Rampage was the guy that I think it has been most effective on. But rampage has weakness to leg kicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back