Is 'The Last of Us' a zombie apocalypse game?

Is 'The Last of Us' a zombie apocalypse game?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you would put this game in the same category or genre as other zombie games.

There is an argument that it isn't a zombie game.

clicker.png

As someone as played the game several times (and consider it to be one if the Top 3 games of the 2010s) and watched the show once (unfortunately) it checks most of the boxes to qualify as a 'Zombie Apocalypse' game.

The difference is the threat... 'the infected'... are far more dangerous than typical zombies from Romero's '_____ of the Dead' movies.

This video provides a detailed analysis, as to why.

id say yes because it fits the general theme of the genre. Its kind of like when people put the 28 days later franchise in with zombie movies even though they are not actually zombies but people with rabies on steroids.

Zombies aren't always "undead" in the unholy, supernatural sense. They're often presented as infected in some manner. It checks every box that matters.

Absolutely. It has all the trappings of a zombie apocalypse. Mindless hordes that infect and/or kill the victim. Ruined civilization. Themes of starting over from a disastrous past. I would say those are the mainstays of a zombie apocalypse, even if they somewhat tweaked the enemy.

I guess I don’t consider a game to be a zombie game when zombies make up like 15% of the encounters.

I guess I don’t consider a game to be a zombie game when zombies make up like 15% of the encounters.
That is a good point, and while I dont entirely disagree, I see it as a whole. Gameplay, story, theme. Together, it makes it a zombie apocalypse imo

That's like saying Dying Light isn't a zombie game because you fight humans too. Also 15% iirc is a gross understatement. Unless you're referring to part 2, which the infected seemed to be an afterthought in that one.

I voted somewhat but could readily change to certainly depending on how the ensuing discussion fleshes out OP's use of 'zombie game'. I'm fine with either, really.

Zombie games are typically either H&S and combat by numbers like World War Z or Rebellion's Zombie Army 4, which is at stark odds with TLoU gameplay but not narrative nor necessarily item economy vis-à-vis weapon/ammo scarcity, item poverty, checkpoint save architecture; or, they're stealth horror like RE and TLoU.

I only lean somewhat here in vote because the former type is more my mental image when I hear gamer talk on anything 'zombie'.

Related, Days Gone is interesting as a same-space title that hybridises both types of zombie game plus RPG-lite elements.

That's like saying Dying Light isn't a zombie game because you fight humans too. Also 15% iirc is a gross understatement. Unless you're referring to part 2, which the infected seemed to be an afterthought in that one.
The vast majority of the game is played out with humans with some carve outs for infected gameplay (The Outskirts, Bill’s Town, Ish’s sewers mainly). Every major antagonist is a human.

It isn’t, “human are in this game too” it’s “zombies are in this game too.”

'The infected' accounts for roughly half of the encounters of the game. The other half are antagonist human groups.

Other humans are also antagonists in both zombie movies & shows... like 'Day Of The Dead' and 'The Walking Dead.'

'The infected' accounts for roughly half of the encounters of the game. The other half are antagonist human groups.

Other humans are also antagonists in both zombie movies & shows... like 'Day Of The Dead' and 'The Walking Dead.'
Nah, in fact even after Pittsburgh they basically just make cameos.

The majority of the game does not focus around the infected.

Back