is the last 2:15 of rd 3 Volk-Ortega the best 2:15 in MMA history?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Biased as anything timeframe to pick, yes, but whatever. Is there any 2-and-a-quarter minute window that tops this in MMA history? For reference, this is roughly from the moment Ortega knocked him down/jumped on the guillotine until the round ended with the vicious GNP from Volk. Every single second packed with drama/heart/huge swings back and forth.

You'd have a tough job ahead of you saying it was the best round ever IMHO... but I think it is a tall order to come up with any 2:15 better.

Depends. Do you watch MMA for the ACTION, or do you like, i.e., the slow methodical breakdowns of your opponent?

It's cool that you like the back and forth action. Nothing wrong with that.

Curious what people can even come up with against it honestly. Off the top of my head maybe the most intense moments of first rounds of Diaz/Daley or Silva/Stann or maybe some crazy moment of Hunt/Bigfoot 1. There's lots of good half-round moments and I hope it isn't recency bias but this one really may have them all topped. Even moreso when you understand Ortega's skillset with those exact two subs in particular.

Depends. Do you watch MMA for the ACTION, or do you like, i.e., the slow methodical breakdowns of your opponent?

It's cool that you like the back and forth action. Nothing wrong with that.
I like violence in general, but grappling-based violence is my favorite for sure. That's why I loved Khabib's fights so much. Wouldn't define it as "slow" but I would define those as scientific/methodical but still beautiful in its violence.

This was anything but methodical of course, but the chaotic grappling violence/dramatic swings still exemplify everything great about this sport. IMO.

Last edited:
Curious what people can even come up with against it honestly. Off the top of my head maybe the most intense moments of first rounds of Diaz/Daley or Silva/Stann or maybe some crazy moment of Hunt/Bigfoot 1. There's lots of good half-round moments and I hope it isn't recency bias but this one really may have them all topped. Even moreso when you understand Ortega's skillset with those exact two subs in particular.
Kongo vs Pat barry

Sounds like the first fight you ever watched.
Sounds like you don't have a better option to suggest
Kongo vs Pat barry
Good one but you probably like striking better than me I think. I'll take a grappling life and death back and forth over a striking "let's see who lands it first" chaos session for sure. That fight is up there on the "top comeback" all-time for sure but I don't think that one tops any list for overall "best chunk of X amount of time" when it comes to MMA history. IMHO anyway.

It was exciting as fuck. I don’t get into always comparing the way most of you do. I just thought it was pretty damn crazy.

It was unreal to watch, the will power in both, made me think of Rocky 1 and 2....it was like watching a movie.

It’s up there for sure. A lot of these fights had a ton of great action, rounds or periods

Diaz v. Daley
Diego v. Guida
Stout v. Fisher
Fedor v. Randleman
Robbie v. Rory
Hendo v. Rua
Lyoto v. Rua
Arlovski v. Brown
Bigfoot v. Hunt
Here’s one for you guys: Jaime fucking Jara vs. Spiritwolf. If you haven’t watched it you’re due.

off the top of my head

Casual answer - OMG fuck yeah

Sherdog answer - manlets can't own any MMA records/high praise

My answer - an amazing round that was undoubtedly a tremendous display of skill and heart. tough to say "best" because of apples/oranges comparison to other incredible fights

its was pretty cool.

then i realized people get out of subs all the time. remember when thompson wasn't even phased by this ?

tumblr_ogknkvVFUR1vu6duzo7_500.gif

No idea. Has to be up there though.

Poirier vs Hooker had some crazy action in the 2nd round. Also Jiri vs Reyes round 2 was crazy with Jiri getting rocked twice, then getting the KO.

Casual answer - OMG fuck yeah

Sherdog answer - manlets can't own any MMA records/high praise

My answer - an amazing round that was undoubtedly a tremendous display of skill and heart. tough to say "best" because of apples/oranges comparison to other incredible fights
And this, everybody, are the correct answers.

Sloppy striking from a dead Ortega, 2 cool sub attempts and a lot of ground and pound.
Cool, but c'mon.
Not even the best fight on the card.
Diaz vs Lawler was way more fun and had 2,5 x times the punches per minute.

Back