• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Is Piers Morgan an example of a UK conservative?

I beg your pardon? The oldest political party in the world is the British conservative party and they have remained constant in their values more than any other institution.

rees-mogg_topHat.jpg
Fantastic job of matching the eyebrows to the top hat (only reason I recognize him). Managing Brexit opportunities, not so much.

Strange title.

I'd be embarrassed to call myself a Conservative with the government we've had for the past 12 years.

There isn't an equivalent of the GOP in Europe... European conservatives are basically US Democrats

US Democrats would never send asylum seekers to an unknown fate in a country like Rwanda. Yet here we are with this Conservative government.

They might not be as bad re abortion but they're still bad.

The latest is taking away our rights to protest.

Fantastic job of matching the eyebrows to the top hat (only reason I recognize him). Managing Brexit opportunities, not so much.

Strange title.

The Brexit opportunities were for the hedge funds and buddies of the powerful, as it has always been.

It's like the adage referring to taxation as akin to plucking geese: a process by which you try to get the most feathers with the least amount of hissing.

His appointment to the position is part of the contempt they outwardly show for the public, it's a game to them.

04rees-mogg2-superJumbo.jpg

Honestly, no one has not given a fuck more in the house of commons in known history. It's quite impressive.

There are no real conservative political parties in Europe, apart from maybe those that are immediately labeled as "far-right".

Being a right-winger in Europe generally means that you're a neo-liberal kind of guy, comparable to a Joe Biden.

That doesn't mean that there aren't many people with conservative views, but they don't usually have any political representation, which is why the so-called "far-right movements" usually amass mass support by appealing to conservative sentiments.

idk about piers but UK and US conservatives are not really comparable. UK conservatism right now (modern) is more liberal conservatism and uS conservatives are more aligned with religious groups and the far right.

You only have to look at how 'relaxed' our Conservative government was with covid regulations / exit strategy - 'leftists' like Corbyn would have had us in China-style lockdowns for about 18months solid if they were in charge. And we'd still be under some form of vaccine mandates now, instead of being completely free for 5months.

The Left has almost become the Right in Europe. And elsewhere, for that matter (not talking about far-right of course).

Morgan is just a wanker. He's a 'rent a soundbite' guy who will say anything to anyone to sensationalise and make headlines. I doubt he has much investment either way.

You only have to look at how 'relaxed' our Conservative government was with covid regulations / exit strategy - 'leftists' like Corbyn would have had us in China-style lockdowns for about 18months solid if they were in charge. And we'd still be under some form of vaccine mandates now, instead of being completely free for 5months.

The Left has almost become the Right in Europe. And elsewhere, for that matter (not talking about far-right of course).

Morgan is just a wanker. He's a 'rent a soundbite' guy who will say anything to anyone to sensationalise and make headlines. I doubt he has much investment either way.
<JagsKiddingMe>

I really think he's just a more traditional democratic type like Bill Maher.

we don't have the equivalent of US conservatives here.
the further east you go, there's basically social democrats and liberals as political opponents, which differ by the levels of involvement of the state in the economy and the amount of stuff people get from the government. in my country there's currently zero parties that have in their platform the need of the population to be armed, and i don't think we ever did (just as an example). all parties support free healthcare, free education, stuff like that, even if they are political rivals.
in america, the entire political spectrum of my country would probably be to the left of bill clinton.

He probably is an example of a UK conservative, but that tends to make him a fly-by-night populist with ever-evolving priorities (ie, whatever's a 'hot topic').

Once nobody is talking about 'woke', he won't be either.

Bear in mind his populism is a UK-based brand of populism, so he'll constantly disagree with US conservatives on all manner of issues - but only the ones that are hot topics, as I say. He'd probably excuse that by pretending to be a journalist with a focus on current affairs, but he's not. He's a bell end.

Little idea. He is a good writer and good debater though, in the UK and in America.

Back