Is Nunes that good or was it a bad stylistic matchup?

Durr T Sanchez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
She has a loss to Cat via strikes but Amanda looks unbeatable. She hits hard, probably the hardest in WMMA, and has a wide arsenal of strikes, and Im assuming her BJJ is great(blackbelt??). Also seems very confident yet humble enough to continue improving. She seems like she knew she would beat Ronda but seemed like she had something to prove. She has all the right combinations mentally, physically, and technically to defend her title.

Amanda was that good and Ronda was that overrated and overhyped.

Extremely good, but not unbeatable. She's like a female Rumble who is incredibly destructive early, but drains her gas tank to be so - which is how Cat beat her and Shevchenko almost did.

Amanda has gotten better since she won the belt. Her straight punches had the baddest of intentions and Ronda's lack of head movement just sped up the process.

Bad style match up obviously. Hard hitting rangy striker vs someone with zero striking defense. Nunes is really good but she does have 4 losses and nearly lost to Shevchenko a couple of fights ago.

Nunes is improving and Ronda is not the same after getting embarrassed by Holly.

People need to stop acting like Ronda is a joke, though. Two years ago, Nunes would have been armbarred in the first by Ronda, the game has just changed.

I thought Ronda looked much smaller in the upper body. Then again, I watched a bad YouTube vid of the fight.

If the opponent is not
A. librarian/secretary/accountant/soccer mom
B. natural 125er

then Rhonda probably can't just walk up to them grab them by the head and throw them down and slap on an armbar.

Shevchenko is the greatest representation of WMMA talent, imo. Nunes beat her so I think she's legit. We need the rematch, though!

A bit of both. Remember Ronda first rounded 2 people who beat the shit out of Amanda. With that said
amanda-nunes-ronda-rousey.jpg

image.jpg

Nunes is only good in round 1 but she is very good in that round. She is the hardest hitting woman in MMA other than Cyborg for that round. She has one of the highest striking rates and accuracy in the WBW division, and one of the best defences (while Ronda has one of the worst), and she also has by far the highest power headshot rate and accuracy of anyone on last nights card (as shown by statto types, based on all their previous UFC fights). All that spells: terrible matchup for someone mentally broken coming in with over a year of ring rust, low confidence, bad striking defence, needing time to settle in and get their groove back, etc

both

Ronda destroys any grappler/wreslter in her division but against a good striker with great tdd she is just out of her element

I thought Ronda looked much smaller in the upper body. Then again, I watched a bad YouTube vid of the fight.
Amanda would have beaten Ronda anyway but Ronda may really have come in at 135-140 giving up 15-20 lbs ala Weidman vs Rockhold or Wonderboy vs Woodley.

I thought Dana was lying but...

It reminded me of this, good skill combined with a shot opponent

Nunes is only good in round 1 but she is very good in that round.
She's good in round 2 sometimes also, she almost finished Shevchenko in round 2 and she has her share of second round finishes. Depends on how much energy she expends in round 1.

Ronda had about as much business being in the octagon with Amanda Nunes as CM Punk did with Mickey Gall

She has a loss to Cat via strikes but Amanda looks unbeatable. She hits hard, probably the hardest in WMMA, and has a wide arsenal of strikes, and Im assuming her BJJ is great(blackbelt??). Also seems very confident yet humble enough to continue improving. She seems like she knew she would beat Ronda but seemed like she had something to prove. She has all the right combinations mentally, physically, and technically to defend her title.
Ronda cant strike bro....period. She knocked out Betche Correia and then the media calls her Mike Tyson of MMA. She needs to stick to what won her fights. How many times have you seen her shoot for a takedown?

Back