Is Missing Weight an Advantage or Disadvantage?

thechoice2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of fights over the year take place where a fighter doesn't make the contracted weight but takes place at a higher catchweight.

One thing I tend to notice is that if the fighter that misses weight wins, people tend to say he had an advantage by not having to cut all the way down and came in bigger than his opponent. (My personal favorite is the Alves/Hughes fight)

Then if the fighter that missed weight loses, he was too drained to compete and lost because he was sick/injured/bad camp/whatever.

I would lean towards disadvantage but statistics might say otherwise.

That being said, it was definitely a disadvantage back when fighters were trying to make weight for an hour after the weigh-ins, now they just go like "Shit, there goes my %25" and move on

Depends if he missed accidentally, on purpose or a mixture of both as he discovers it's impossible while cutting.
That's all the answer you need.

It depends, if you almost kill yourself losing weight right up until the last second - and miss anyway then it's clearly a huge disadvantage.

On the other hand, if you suspect you may not make weight - stop cutting and just eat normally and re-hydrate long before your opponent - then it's clearly an in fight advantage.

Ask Anthony Johnson

Unless the fighter deliberately plans to miss weight(which I'm guessing doesn't happen very often) it's a disadvantage. It m,eans his body got pushed to a point where he was forced to quit the weight cutting process, and if he gets to that point that means he's not gonna be in optimal competition form just 24 hours later.

all depends. jon lineker had cardio problems when he missed weight.

Then he started not giving any fucks and would miss weight by a couple pounds but be in great shape. its a decent tactic if you dont mind getting fined and being an inconvenience to the ufc and your opponent

Missing the weight on purpose is definitely a huge advantage. You're basically either cutting less weight than the other guy or you're just bigger come fight night.

There are plenty of fighters who do it on purpose in boxing for example Orlando Salido or Floyd Mayweather against Marquez.

In MMA I'm not sure, they don't earn that much so the fines are probably too big for them. The ones that do miss weight usually look like shit and probably just had a bad weight cut.

The stat is a couple years old at this point but I can't imagine it's changed too much: fighters who miss weight win just 39% of the time.

I think it depends on the situation. If you kill yourself to make weight and fail then it probably has a negative impact on you. If you simply give it a half hearted try and then cut a deal you might be fresher.

Back