Is Mileage or Year more important when I have a budget?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Let's say I have a budget of like $15k. I could get a 2003 with 45k miles on it or a 2010 with 110k miles for example. Which do you think is more important overall the age of the vehicle or the mileage?

mileage without a doubt. I bought a 1998 car recently to commute to the train. it has 74,000 miles on it and runs perfectly.

most important factor is owner/owners. look for one owner who has taken care of it

Uh, way too many variables to look at it in these simplistic terms.

I bought a 1998 pickup truck in 2001 for $20K. it had less than 100K km on it. Over the next 7 years it cost me around 8K in repairs. Lame. My current truck I purchased brand new in 2011 for $22K, and it won't cost me a penny in repairs for the duration of the warranty (5 years/120K km).

But I also had a 1990 Jeep that I paid $2K for, unknown mileage as it had a different engine put in at some point, and that thing would go forever with very little maintenance costs.

So what do you need the vehicle for? What model best serves your purposes?

what type of 2003 car are you looking at that cost 15K still?

I bought a 2001 car with 38k miles on it, worked a charm until someone left their handbrake off and car rolled down hill into mine and smashed it to pieces, now I have a polo bought it brand new and it's a charm.

It all depends on the drivers before it, if it's a woman driver or a youth I wouldn't buy, as it's probably been fucked clutch wise or sped about all over.

I'd say mileage to be honest unless you want a new one, it's all your preference try each car then make your decision

You can get a reliable cherry muscle car with that kind of cash that will hold it's value or even go up. Man up and be a Duke boy.

You're asking which to choose, mileage or year. I am going to assume you want the car to be reliable.

Get a Toyota Corolla. For 15k, you can get a 2012 Corolla LE.

Care / maintanence and manufacturer will play the biggest role

I would happily buy a german / japanese model with 100k + for example

There are a lot of variables, but most importantly, how many miles do you drive per year? If it's a lot, 110k miles is not a smart purchase. If it's not, 110k would be reasonable.

Care / maintanence and manufacturer will play the biggest role

I would happily buy a german / japanese model with 100k + for example

Japanese cars become very expensive to maintain after 7+ yrs and $100k. They may have fewer repairs required, but when they hit, they are major. I drive cars until 10th or 11th year and our American cars seem to have more stuff that needs fixing but it's usually something small. My wife is convinced that we should get rid of our Lincoln because it has had 3 things go wrong this year. When i pull our repair costs (which i keep track of) for our Japanese cars she was shocked at the size of the one time hits.

Definitely mileage. But...

This would be a great conversation about women too.

Mileage or years.

kim-kardashian3.jpg
VS.
2009-06-02-helen3.jpg

There are a lot of variables, but most importantly, how many miles do you drive per year? If it's a lot, 110k miles is not a smart purchase. If it's not, 110k would be reasonable.

Well my wife put on 1500 miles last year. No, I didn't forget a 0, it's 1500. However I'm having a third kid so I'll start to use it a little more often. My other vehicle is a car that holds 5 people though. This new one would be a SUV or minivan that doesn't get used a lot except for trips.

Uh, way too many variables to look at it in these simplistic terms.

I bought a 1998 pickup truck in 2001 for $20K. it had less than 100K km on it. Over the next 7 years it cost me around 8K in repairs. Lame. My current truck I purchased brand new in 2011 for $22K, and it won't cost me a penny in repairs for the duration of the warranty (5 years/120K km).

But I also had a 1990 Jeep that I paid $2K for, unknown mileage as it had a different engine put in at some point, and that thing would go forever with very little maintenance costs.

So what do you need the vehicle for? What model best serves your purposes?

A good friend of mine once said he couldn't afford to buy a used car because you never know what they might end up costing you.

Lower mileage is definitely an important factor in any vehicle I've purchased.

miles are more important...

says a guy who bought his 2013 a year ago and has 30k on it already. :(

Well my wife put on 1500 miles last year. No, I didn't forget a 0, it's 1500. However I'm having a third kid so I'll start to use it a little more often. My other vehicle is a car that holds 5 people though. This new one would be a SUV or minivan that doesn't get used a lot except for trips.

With that low of mileage, I would not be bothered by a vehicle over 100k.

With that low of mileage, I would not be bothered by a vehicle over 100k.

yeah, and if you keep it a few years, the 'higher' mileage will go down in ratio to age, so it will retain it's value better.
aka.
in 2013, a 2003 with 150k = 15k/yr
in 2017, a 2003 with 160k = 11.4k/yr

Back