Is McGregor good for the sport?

I don't think he's really good for the whole sport right now. There was just a thread saying the Mighty Mouse event had year-low viewership numbers. And AFAIK numbers didn't go up for other events after Ronda was popular either. I'm not an expert but I don't see these megastars benefitting anything but their own brands. And the matchmaking with Conor is not good for the legitimacy of the sport, and it also encourages other fighters to talk a lot in order to skip rankings for title shots and circus-level fights.

Good for UFC bottom line ,.. not so much for the sport overall.

Good for business, bad for the sport. Just as Conor was entering the UFC, it had began to developed a blueprint structure of legitimate competition. Now he's changed the game to boxing's model with in the promotion. It's good for him, bad for the ufc's legitimacy.

as a long time fan who became a casual (because this sport got so freaking boring), i am paying more attention because of conor. im not watching all the cards but i am watching more of them. the hate that conor gets on here makes me get on here more because i love seeing all the posts about how conor is going to get destroyed and then he goes out and starches opponents. if conor didnt fight the way he does id be watching mma a ton less. and if you guys didnt give him the hate and subsequent tears, i doubt i would be on here at all.

I´m a fan but i don´t watch more or less fights (including other org. fights) because of him.

I think new fans to the sport can answer this better tho

I always though MMA should be much popular, its a fun sport that everybody should watch.
But a lot of people didnt even knew about its existence... Until Conor, dude has brought a lot of fans and that's pretty cool.

the answer is yes, without a doubt TS.

Ultimately sports are about exposure and viewers. Any sport will pay big money to achieve them.

TS you are looking for instant gratification and you don't see sales of Coke Cola rise the day after the super bowl commercials. It is a slow burn type growth by becoming top of mind over time.

Conor is giving the UFC and the sport of MMA publicity and exposure they could not buy right now. You do not try to measure that by looking at others PPV results and pay in the immediate just as you did not at the height of Chuck Liddells popularity through GSP's and onto to Brock's. It is a gradual thing as the UFC continues to grow markets and expand the sport.

Ronda and Conor have personalised the sport a lot more. People who don't follow MMA in the slightest are less likely now to think MMA fighters are all savages and the sport should be banned because they know who Conor Mcgregor is - he's not some brute that you'd cross the street to avoid. It legitimises the sport.

His antics and how he carries himself along with his fans and other worshippers and delusional nuthuggers put the nail in the coffin in terms of integrity of the UFC (Yes its been shit for years but like I said, final nail in the coffin).

When the main attraction of the UFCircus goes away Ala Conor, so will all his retarded casual fan base. Only then will the UFC regain what little dignity it had left.

His antics and how he carries himself along with his fans and other worshippers and delusional nuthuggers put the nail in the coffin in terms of integrity of the UFC (Yes its been shit for years but like I said, final nail in the coffin).

When the main attraction of the UFCircus goes away Ala Conor, so will all his retarded casual fan base. Only then will the UFC regain what little dignity it had left.
You have an AV of Conor f*cking...

He brings money to the organization so yes he is very good for the UFC.

All thanks to a Conor fanboy to think of something so gay as an av bet. I lost. Every Conor fan wishes they were the bottom guy.
You photoshopped your legs into that AV...and now you are projecting

Hell yes,

It's like saying is Tiger Woods good for golf??

Now I'm not sure how much effect he has had on the ratings of events outside of his own but if your bringing more eyes to your product(UFC) with Conor events it should translate into some eyes sticking around for other events. Beyond that his PPV drawing power is better for everyone since it raises UFC revenue which overtime trickles down to all.

Do you think hardcores were paying 1k seat at ufc205?

Good for the sport
Good for the theatrics
Good for the business
Bad for the "game", ie the rankings/titles infrastructure

Overall, he's the best thing to have ever happened to MMA.

Do you think hardcores were paying 1k seat at ufc205?

Seriously. this.

I've been following mma for a long time, and when it was far more of a niche sport, the sentiment on this forum and in general amongst fans was that they wanted the sport to grow and go "mainstream" and see guys get the recognition (and accompanying $$) to go along with it.

Except once that starts to happen, it alienates alot of that same hardcore fan base. Natural cause/effect.

People are snobs basically.

Longtime fans want the sport to grow, but they don't want it to change.. and that's just inherently not how that process works.

Once upon a time, everyone was a "casual" fan that didn't know very much about what they were seeing.. if they stick around, eventually they learn to appreciate it more.

Having a generation of fans get attracted to the sport because of a guy like Conor is not a bad thing in any way, maybe alot of them are ignorant goons at the moment.. but again, that's how growing a fan base works.

He's good for the UFC, bad for the 'sport' aspect of MMA.

Back