is Marcello C. Monteiro a legit instructor?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by WAR MMA, Jul 20, 2010.

1. WAR MMA

WAR MMA White Belt

wasn't really sure where to post this, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong department :)

a brief background: about 3 years ago I decided to make some small lifestyle changes to lose weight. I was hitting the scales at 5'6", 340 pounds. FAT ASS to be sure. I started with small changes to my diet, and after a 2 years I was at the 305 mark. I realized I needed to make bigger changes, so January of this year I joined a gym and made big changes to my diet and lifestyle. I am currently at 264 pounds. My goal is 185, so still a long way to go.

I want to find an activity to get involved in and BJJ is something that really interests me. So doing some google-ing I found a BJJ place literally 2 minutes from my regular gym and about 10 minutes from my house. GREAT i said. It's owned and operated by Marcello C. Monteiro. The gym's site obviously talks him up, but figured some folks around here would be able to confirm if he is legit.

this isn't an affiliate gym, but the one he actually runs from what I gather. here's the link:

Online Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training - BJJ Coach Marcello Monteiro - Location

so, would this be a good place to start training? I'm not looking to compete, just have a fun physical activity to enjoy :)

thanks guys!

2. lebo-0937

lebo-0937 Orange Belt

he is legit

3. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

4. bigraydaddy1

bigraydaddy1 Guest

De La Riva black belt, although I believe they had a falling out.
    Def. legit.
    A few good schools in Indy, though.

5. fozzit

fozzit Guapo Mestiso

Marcello is a incredible instructor... Miguel Torres was a Marcello brown belt before he earned his black from Master Carlson... He's legit as they come... why even create this thread when his website says it all?

6. bigraydaddy1

bigraydaddy1 Guest

Miguel received his brown belt from Master Carlson Sr.
    He got his black belt from Jr.

7. fozzit

fozzit Guapo Mestiso

so Miguel got his purple from Marcello? He was a brown at MArcellos before Master Carlson moved to Chicago correct? Its been years since Ive spoken with Marcello or Delariva so I could be mistaken....

8. Jinzumkei

Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

Yes he's legit. I believe Miguel Torres and Chris Lytle has trained with him (not sure if they still do though)

9. WAR MMA

WAR MMA White Belt

because anyone can create a website and list tons of credentials. doesn't mean it's real or noteworthy. Just wanted to check with some folks that I believed would have more info (this forum).

I'll be stopping in today after work. Anyone know what these schools usually cost? I figure $100/month plus buying a Gi ($200?).

thanks everyone :)

10. WAR MMA

WAR MMA White Belt

well, i went in today after work and met with the manager at the school. talked with him for a good bit, and made the plunge! I have my first class monday night.

I'm ridiculously excited :D :D :D

11. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

With all the professional looking websites out these days it's always a good idea to ask :D

congrats on losing all the weight too, BJJ will help out with that a lot!

12. bigraydaddy1

bigraydaddy1 Guest

Hay War MMA- did you get to meet Joao Herdy? He's an awesome blackbelt.
    Good luck to you.

13. WAR MMA

WAR MMA White Belt

no, the only guys I met were a few that were training MMA grappling (forget their names already...I was nervous) and the manager, Alan. we went over the classes offered (I'll be in Beginner's BJJ Fundamentals obviously). The monthly fee covers 4 classes per week, plus open mat hours. So monday-thursday 7-8pm and then 2 hours of open mats on friday and saturday. Seemed like a good deal to me. Plus I need to buy a Gi from them. I'm going in about 15 minutes early monday to get the Gi.

The manager also recommended I pick up a few items. Rash guard, compression shorts, mouthpiece, and a cup. He said wearing the rash guard and compression shorts under the Gi is the recommended attire. Is there anything else I should look into picking up?

14. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Legit for sure, enjoy the classes.

15. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Torres did NOT receive his Black from Master Carlson.

Maybe Jr. gave it to him, idk, but for sure it wasnt Carlson.

16. FirstScratch

FirstScratch Purple Belt

Miguel was awarded his black from Carlson jr. I have no idea who promoted him through the lower ranks but IMO, who cares? Lol at people questioning Monteirao's legitimacy!

17. notshayndavis

notshayndavis Yellow Belt

I got to roll with Marcello at a seminar as he's our coach's coach. It was a pretty cool experience. Really nice guy too.

18. bigraydaddy1

bigraydaddy1 Guest

19. daninnashville

daninnashville Orange Belt

I train at a school where I live, but I am also a part of Marcello's online community. I've been very impressed with the White to Blue video series. Excellent techniques and very detailed instruction.

Should I ever go to Indy, I'd hook up with the school without a doubt. I've spoken to his assistant Alan and he's a great guy too. Seems like a super quality school. I'd say go for it.

Dan

20. BalrogOfMorgoth

BalrogOfMorgoth White Belt

Who cares? It's not important who you taught you from white to purple belt? :rolleyes: Miguel was promoted to blue and purple by Braulio Corral, who is a Marcello Montiero 1 stripe black belt. Miguel left a few weeks after getting promoted to purple and opened a competing school down the street, kind of crappy thing to do. Marcello is definitely legit.