Is knee on belly not practical?

ShadFace

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In MMA it usually lasts for a couple of seconds.
Are the high level guys just too good to have it done to them, or is it just in general not that practical (as in a street fight)?

Cain got it on Brock, as Cain could use the cage.
I remember Ricco Rodriguez was able to use it very well but other then that, I don

I think it is seen less often in MMA for a few reasons:

1) The guys are particularly athletic and matches are higher tempo possibly making the position harder to maintain
2) I think it's generally a lot harder topless > nogi > gi as there is less friction
3) I may be wrong but it may be difficult to have options from there in MMA. In a street fight you're going to be so comfortable there and have grips so you can rain down strikes at will but in MMA it may take too much effort they can't really open up with strikes

I only train gi so I I'm just hypothesizing.
Summary: Too slippy.

Last edited:
KOB is very practical. It's easier to hold in the gi, IME, but it's still a very strong position without the gi.

In MMA, to punch from KOB, one has to relinquish a certain level of control, which is why it's easy for the guy on bottom to push against the knee and shrimp to the side (while eating a few punches for his trouble, mind you).

I think the key is finding a balance between the act of punching and control.

I think it is seen less often in MMA for a few reasons:

1) The guys are particularly athletic so matches are higher tempo possibly making the position harder to maintain
2) I think it's generally a lot harder topless > nogi > gi as there is less friction
3) I may be wrong but it may be difficult to have options from there in MMA. In a street fight you're going to be so comfortable there and have grips so you can rain down strikes at will but in MMA it may take too much effort they can't really open up with strikes

I only train gi and I know so I I'm just hypothesizing.

Ahh your first response was not the real response.
Sorry.

I get where you are going with the gi and that.
A number of heavy guys have tried the knee on belly on me (while I

Also dude -- WTF is wrong with you?
A Hitler sig and your location being as it is?
The internet's a shitty enough place already there's no need to make it worse.

Also dude -- WTF is wrong with you?
A Hitler sig and your location being as it is?
The internet's a shitty enough place already there's no need to make it worse.

You take things really seriously.
I admire Stephen and the Hitler is just to laugh at him.

knee on belly is great for set ups. once you knee on belly the opponedt defends with their hands, leavin his neck more vulnerable. baseball choke right there

In NOGI, I will just use it to get the points. In GI, there are a bunch of cool techniques to be had.

I have never used it in MMA either.

Alan belcher uses it too, I think he finished one of his opponents with strikes from KOB... I personally think its great.

knee on belly is great for set ups. once you knee on belly the opponedt defends with their hands, leavin his neck more vulnerable. baseball choke right there

This is a very good answer to OP's question.

KOB is extremely usefull in grappling scenarios when your opponent is really all worried about defense. You can make his life miserable with the pressure from top and make him move giving you the opportunity to mount some offense (get the underhook on the oder side and isolate the arm; work a reverse anaconda choke if he pushes with his arm, jump on his neck for a N/S choke,...)

I personally love the KOB position to force mistakes from my opponents or to at least initiate some movement.

In MMA/Vale Tudo or a self defense situation there is a way simplier tool to make the guy on the bottom move: a punch or elbow to the face.

So in my opinion KOB is not weak or bad in MMA but often it is not necessary because there is not as much stalling with punches involved.

KOB can on the other hand be very usefull once your opponents is a little hurt and you can use the position to posture up and land devastating finishing blows.

This is a very good answer to OP's question.

KOB is extremely usefull in grappling scenarios when your opponent is really all worried about defense. You can make his life miserable with the pressure from top and make him move giving you the opportunity to mount some offense (get the underhook on the oder side and isolate the arm; work a reverse anaconda choke if he pushes with his arm, jump on his neck for a N/S choke,...)

I personally love the KOB position to force mistakes from my opponents or to at least initiate some movement.

In MMA/Vale Tudo or a self defense situation there is a way simplier tool to make the guy on the bottom move: a punch or elbow to the face.

So in my opinion KOB is not weak or bad in MMA but often it is not necessary because there is not as much stalling with punches involved.

KOB can on the other hand be very usefull once your opponents is a little hurt and you can use the position to posture up and land devastating finishing blows.

getting your oppent flat against the cage and strike from KOB there its should be devastating...

getting your oppent flat against the cage and strike from KOB there its should be devastating...

Cain kind of got that against Brock.

But I think Brock was pretty miserable at that moment, hurt or just given up mentally.

But by most of the answers, I kind of gather what I mention in the OP was pretty close to the truth.
It is a good position to force the bottom guy to give up limbs/back/neck...

The position itself is not a finisher, unless the opponent is hurt or backed up in a corner/cage...

Back