Is JDS the "Chuck Liddell" of the HW class?

Bringin'TheHeat

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys...I think the comparison is fitting. I'm coining the term , "Iceman syndrome" when a fighter falls in love with what brings them initial success (whether relying on striking or grappling) causing them to rise to quick prominence but fall off quickly unless they adapt their game. Damian Maia is a grappling example of this. JDS knocked guys out with boxing and kept them off of him with excellent takedown defense (a Liddell) and it worked until he ran into Randy Couture (Cain Velasquez) and then eventually better or equal strikers (Rampage for Liddell and possibly Overeem for JDS). That being said I think JDS takes the trilogy just like Liddell did but unless he adapts a little more he's going to get passed by. Discuss...

Nah, Chuck was more well rounded than this so called new breed.

It's a good comparison but you're going a little overboard with it

Jds got beat up...nothing, nothing less. He'll be fine, he did stop 22 take downs.

He's certainly the closest thing to a hw chuck I can think of. Hw should learn a thing or two from chuck and realize when things aren't working anymore

When you watch their fights (JDS and Liddell) the commentary is the same..."he has an excellent ground game but we just never get to see it cause he is knocking guys out and defending the takedown" and "the more he knocks guys out the more confidence he gets in doing it but that could build bad habits" etc. I think JDS will be like Liddell and make a couple runs at the title but he's gotta rewrite history here or learn from it if he wants to "break records".

You do realize that Chuck Liddell crushed Couture in their rematch right? Knocked him out cold. I don't think the Chuck/JDS comparison is apt at all simply because Chuck used his wrestling in reverse to keep fights standing. People were so afraid of Chuck's wrestling, that you RARELY so people try and take him down. I think Couture was the main one to really do it.

People are over reacting. This is the first loss in JDS' career where he was simply outmatched. It happens to almost every fighter at some point in their career. People also forget that JDS' MMA career is only 17 fights old, and that the man JUST turned 28 2 1/2 months ago. He'll be fine, he'll come back from this loss just like Cain came back from his, and absolutely murder someone. He'll be back in title contention by the end of the summer guaranteed.

I think JDS is a great fighter, with a ton of talent, I think he looked past Cain to Reem, his first fight was a 64 second blow out, and he got his ass whooped in the second fight. Best thing to happen to JDS, I bet he comes back like a beast.

You do realize that Chuck Liddell crushed Couture in their rematch right? Knocked him out cold. I don't think the Chuck/JDS comparison is apt at all simply because Chuck used his wrestling in reverse to keep fights standing. People were so afraid of Chuck's wrestling, that you RARELY so people try and take him down. I think Couture was the main one to really do it.

People are over reacting. This is the first loss in JDS' career where he was simply outmatched. It happens to almost every fighter at some point in their career. People also forget that JDS' MMA career is only 17 fights old, and that the man JUST turned 28 2 1/2 months ago. He'll be fine, he'll come back from this loss just like Cain came back from his, and absolutely murder someone. He'll be back in title contention by the end of the summer guaranteed.
I agree JDS will come back and beat Cain but you can't deny the similarities. JDS take down defense is the best in heavyweight (Cain had trouble getting him down and when he did Junior wasn't down for long) . To sum it up for you strengths for both guys: TDD , excellent hands, KO power in both hands and their success lead to dependence on striking

Junior's striking is much better than Chuck's, his TDD is slightly better and his BJJ is much better.

Only in the sense that he sprawls and brawls.

The guy lost once.
To a guy who wrecked Minotauro with strikes, survived repeated dangerous hits by Kongo to win, and bullied Brock Lesnar like a kid.
FFS, it's not like some hole in his game was exposed.
Cain's hands and wrestling were always badass. He just lost.

You know TS I said the exact same thing to my friends when we watched it - he is so one dimensional, just like Chuck became, he showed hardly any variation of attack or technique - he'll need to evolve if he wants to taste gold again.

Back