Is it okay if I read a Gracie book while going to Gokor's?

ThaiFighter_83

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I started going to Gokor's Hayastan last week and i love it. However, I'm a fresh newbie and a lot of the class is geared towards advanced stuff. But one of my friends who I know there recommended that I read "Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Theory and Technique" by Renzo and Royler Gracie to catch up on the basics. I got the book, and it seems really good.

But my question is, will it interfere with the technique I'm learning from Gokor? Everyday, I'm drilling the stuff he's teaching in class, but is it okay if I also drill the stuff I learn from the Gracie book? Is it all related?

It's all related, and probably a good thing, from what people say about Gokor's.

One thing I never understood. Is Gokor a BJJ guy as well or what? Does he hold rank? if so who gave it to him? I remember Rickson saying he didn't want to fight Gokor because they were the same style or something like that. :icon_conf

I'm sure I can think of another reason for Rickson not wanting to fight Gokor..

Gokor is a beast. Same with the "pink gi wearing" Judo Jene who trains with Gokor. It's amazing how many BJJ schools are located near the hollywood area.

So I started going to Gokor's Hayastan last week and i love it. However, I'm a fresh newbie and a lot of the class is geared towards advanced stuff. But one of my friends who I know there recommended that I read "Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Theory and Technique" by Renzo and Royler Gracie to catch up on the basics. I got the book, and it seems really good.

But my question is, will it interfere with the technique I'm learning from Gokor? Everyday, I'm drilling the stuff he's teaching in class, but is it okay if I also drill the stuff I learn from the Gracie book? Is it all related?

great book gives the perfect explaination about how the gracies where taught ww2 judo thats the reason why they where so ground based .

I don't think Gokor is a BJJ blackbelt or ever trained BJJ.

But a guy who was an alternate of Ruassian Judo Olympic Team and was a Master of sport in Sambo is probably on the level of a good BJJ black belt compeditor on the ground.

I've read he trained (with) several bjj blackbelt when they went on his place (i know that Alberto Crane trains there)

no man if you are training with gokor you can only read books written by gokor
you can NEVER read another bjj book your entire life!

FUCK!!!!

just dont worry about it man i bought the book years ago when i first started and i started at a frank shamrock school there is no more of a hatred between people than the gracies and shamrocks but i train at a royce gracie school and a shamrock school

dude if gokar catches you with a gracie book he'd do one of those mortal kombat fatalities to you and sacrifice you to the judo gods...

but seriously. i think reading the book is a great idea. i cross train judo and brazilian jiu jitsu and i think both arts supplement my game nicely. any knowledge that you add to your arsenal (especially if you are just starting ) will be good for you. keep working the techniques you read on the mat so you refine them and actually master them

good luck, gokar system is awesome as it produces high level hybrid judokas

Basically if the technique your learning is good, then it can only help you to know it. It might not help you learn the things your learning in class any faster, but I really can't think of any way it would hurt your game.

What's wrong with reading?

Pretty much every little bit helps. Keep an open mind. I'd say just don't do it AT the gym. "Hold on, wait a sec, hold this position, I gotta check my reference"

I called Gokor and told him u read the gracie book. He knows who u are.

U are sooooooooooooooo fucked !

no man if you are training with gokor you can only read books written by gokor
you can NEVER read another bjj book your entire life!

FUCK!!!!

LMAO.

Oh Boy..:D

Welcome to sherdog.

Back